Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 09:15 AM

638 posts, read 624,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Looking to possibly visit KCMO but this kind of news puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Sorry to hear about these types of .
Its a nice place. I've never had any trouble in the Plaza. Hearing about crime in New Jersey certainly wouldn't keep me from visiting that state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:54 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Most cities have some problems like this or other urban problems. Baltimore has similar problems in the inner harbor and yet people still visit the area in massive numbers. There are even two 45 story residential towers going up in the inner harbor despite other areas that have less crime with their own towers going up that compete with the CBD of Baltimore (think plaza, crown center etc). Washington DC has similar problems. Even cities like Denver have issues with homeless people on the 16th St Mall now.

KC is fine, but people have to be resilient and fight back and not let the thugs win. Running from perceived crime has destroyed much of the KC area and only created crime where there was not that big of a problem before. (think South Kansas City). KCPD needs to be aggressive and proactive and the people need to let them be that way. I have never nor do I think I will ever be scared in any part of KC, let alone the plaza area just because of a bunch of wanabe thuggy kids that have nothing better to do. I just spent several days in some of the worst parts of the Bronx, Those KC kids would **** their pants and run crying to mommy if they had to spend a day in an area like that.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 PM

226 posts, read 267,764 times
AS I WAS SAYING EARLIER:

Kansas City's "premier" upscale shopping center AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE

And while I get emails from Kansas City News about every tom dick and harry thing - DIDN'T GET A WORD ABOUT THIS and the police chief's twitter account is mum too which is a switch.

This happened within the past week.

Army Captain Nearly Beaten To Death By Eight Men

Robert Jonathan
A U.S. Army captain suffered critical injuries after he was repeatedly punched and kicked by a gang of eight men in an upscale shopping/entertainment district of Kansas City, Missouri.
The brutal beating reportedly occurred outside a restaurant in the Country Club Plaza area of the city.
The dispute apparently got started when the soldier, who is stationed at Fort Leavenworth, accidentally bumped into a another man in the restaurant, who became hostile despite receiving an apology. The manager asked that man to leave the premises.
When the army captain, who is a Purple Heart recipient, and his friends left the restaurant, eight suspects — including the man kicked out of the restaurant — jumped him. After the melee, the attackers fled the scene in a white vehicle before cops arrived.
“The 37-year-old soldier suffered a significant loss of blood after he suffered numerous broken bones in his face, possible optic nerve damage to one of his eyes, and a skull fracture. The man’s injuries were serious, but he is expected to survive, according to a Kansas City police report,” KCTV, Channel 5 in Kansas City, reported.
The solider’s friends also were attacked and injured by the mob after coming to his defense. EMTs treated them at the scene.
The G.I.’s brother described what happened to Fox 4, WDAF-TV, in Kansas City.
“They were repeatedly kicking and punching him, there’s no other intent but to kill. It’s horrible…It really is a miracle that my brother survived that attack. He now has more than two dozen metal plates in his face and forehead, and I have no doubt he could’ve died and they didn’t care.”
Cops have to yet make any arrests even though one of the suspects left a debit car behind in the restaurant bar. The venue apparently has no security cameras. Authorities have requested the public’s help in identifying the assailants.
The hospital has subsequently upgraded the captain’s status to good condition.
“The brutal attack has stirred outrage on social media in part because the victim and his friends are white while the attackers were young black men in their mid to late 20s.” KCTV added.
Reacting to the attack on the active duty solider, a blog called Tony’s Kansas City claims that the criminal activity in the Country Club Plaza district, where the Plaza Art Fair took place this weekend, is a recurring problem, and visitors there should practice situational awareness.
“This incident is just one of many crimes which are more pervasive than people think on the Country Club Plaza. For years the upscale district is home to robberies, car thefts and violent confrontation

Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Pre Katrina New Orleans reminder I was plenty of it

Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Pre Katrina New Orleans reminder I was plenty of it
Check out St. Louis on the other side of the state - its not fairing well especially after Ferguson:

https://youtu.be/4sWFUP0xIPM

Another young military man was attacked in St. Louis after leaving a Cardinals baseball game with his girlfriend. He was shot, actually, spinal damage and paralyzed for life. Very sad for sure

This thing is notable in that things were nowhere near this level until Obama moved in the White House. His commenting on things, making judgments without all the facts and the media together work to give a sense of legitimacy to thugs who just wanna riot.

Anybody attempting to take a sincere look at things cannot deny the upturn in racial unrest since the great healer took over and - also noteworthy - basically trashed the Commission on 9/11 report to increase security..

Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Most cities have some problems like this or other urban problems. Baltimore has similar problems in the inner harbor and yet people still visit the area in massive numbers. There are even two 45 story residential towers going up in the inner harbor despite other areas that have less crime with their own towers going up that compete with the CBD of Baltimore (think plaza, crown center etc). Washington DC has similar problems. Even cities like Denver have issues with homeless people on the 16th St Mall now.

KC is fine, but people have to be resilient and fight back and not let the thugs win. Running from perceived crime has destroyed much of the KC area and only created crime where there was not that big of a problem before. (think South Kansas City). KCPD needs to be aggressive and proactive and the people need to let them be that way. I have never nor do I think I will ever be scared in any part of KC, let alone the plaza area just because of a bunch of wanabe thuggy kids that have nothing better to do. I just spent several days in some of the worst parts of the Bronx, Those KC kids would **** their pants and run crying to mommy if they had to spend a day in an area like that.
Good for you. I live in South Kansas City and I am frightened, it would be stupid and in denial not to be. My house has been broken into in broad daylight by 3 black thugs who stole my peace of mind and 2 computers. I've been assaulted in my own front yard by a black neighbor who, when the police responded, asked me if I wanted to press charges and I said yes because this woman next door is on a roll for several years. I had obvious injuries.

Then, a black supervisor showed up and the whole thing changed - they told me basically to stop being silly of all things after being hit with a club wielded by a woman with anger control issues and a sense of victimization and irresponsible behavior. They saw my injury - now you know damn good and well that if I, a white person, had struck my black neighbor it would not have gone the same way.

Houses are broken into all the time. I want to leave just can't find a way with my house devalued as it is.

My neighborhood has changed a lot since the housing collapse. I've had prowlers and one night while reading on my sofa about 1 a.m. someone actually came to my door and tried the door knob. Now WHY would someone do that? Got the wrong house? I DON'T THINK SO

Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 AM

290 posts, read 346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
Good for you. I live in South Kansas City and I am frightened, it would be stupid and in denial not to be. My house has been broken into in broad daylight by 3 black thugs who stole my peace of mind and 2 computers. I've been assaulted in my own front yard by a black neighbor who, when the police responded, asked me if I wanted to press charges and I said yes because this woman next door is on a roll for several years. I had obvious injuries.

Then, a black supervisor showed up and the whole thing changed - they told me basically to stop being silly of all things after being hit with a club wielded by a woman with anger control issues and a sense of victimization and irresponsible behavior. They saw my injury - now you know damn good and well that if I, a white person, had struck my black neighbor it would not have gone the same way.

Houses are broken into all the time. I want to leave just can't find a way with my house devalued as it is.

My neighborhood has changed a lot since the housing collapse. I've had prowlers and one night while reading on my sofa about 1 a.m. someone actually came to my door and tried the door knob. Now WHY would someone do that? Got the wrong house? I DON'T THINK SO
I'm sorry to hear that. South KC has changed a lot in the last 13 years. The following demographic data is from Social Explorer. The first map is from 2000, the second is from 2013. The break down: orange is White, green is African American, purple is Hispanic, and maroon is Asian. They are lighter or darker depending on the percentage.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:22 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
And the owners of the Country Club Plaza are fed up as well, the property is now for sale:
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...-for-sale.html

The proceeds will be used for developments in Atlanta and Tampa; thanks to all the thugs in KCMO, monetary loss is way too high. . . the property is now a loser.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:32 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And the owners of the Country Club Plaza are fed up as well, the property is now for sale:

The proceeds will be used for developments in Atlanta and Tampa; thanks to all the thugs in KCMO, monetary loss is way too high. . . the property is now a loser.
What a complete BS post. You know nothing about real estate or why developers buy and sell property. The value of the plaza has gone up and Highwoods is going to make a nice profit. It happens all the time and is completely normal. It's far from a "loser".

The crime problems the plaza has are absolutely no different than similar areas of other urban areas have. Bored young urban youth need to be dealt with and punished.

You Johnson County people really do want the city to die don't you. You have zero interest in KCMO unless you post crap like this. Really really sad.

If you are scared to go to the plaza don't go there. I'm sure you already don't go there. Plenty of people do and will continue to live, shop and dine in the country club plaza area for another 100 years. It will be around longer than all the new stuff on 135th St Just like the Plaza was there decades before any retail at all in JoCo and is still there today outlasting everything north of 435 in JoCo.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 AM

22 posts, read 36,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

Ya...I lived on the plaza for 3 years and loved it. Now I am downtown and love it. Had to work in Johnson County for 4 years and hated it.

Oh look....a Target!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City