Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I prefer StL suburbs and Lee's Summit, Platte County over JoCo myself (not a fan of paved over flat barren farmland of JoCo with giant six lane roads and grass everywhere).
That's not what "barren" means. Johnson County is the polar opposite of "barren".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
That's not what "barren" means. Johnson County is the polar opposite of "barren".
Very little vegetation (except grass along the roadways etc), sterile, bleak and lifeless. Yes, it's built up with low density sprawl, but it's still barren.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
It's not densely vegetated compared to many other areas. Since the natural biome is tallgrass prairie 85-90% of all trees are planted in JOCO. Also, private entirely wooded lots are a rarity.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
LOL, I love these JoCo discussions. Now we are going in depth about the vegetation in JoCo vs other places.

Besides the Southern part of the state, Missouri isn't the most scenic place. Missouri just looks like Illinois and Indiana to me off I-70.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
So you are saying that Kansas is a better state to live in than Missouri? Not Johnson county, but Kansas? Any reasons for this?

Outside of JoCo and Lawrence, there really isn't a lot going on in Kansas.

Missouri isn't the best place to live, but it's certainly better than most places in Kansas. Small towns in both states are similar, however.
IN YOUR OPINION. Yes, I think Kansas is a better state to live in than Missouri. I have lived in both, and I have lived in urban, suburban and rural areas of both. Southern Missouri is WAY better than Kansas City, and I don't mean Springfield, but outside of Springfield, south of Springfield. But there's a lot of drug use and crime in rural/small town Missouri. That has ruined a lot of what USED to be decent about Missouri.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Very little vegetation (except grass along the roadways etc), sterile, bleak and lifeless. Yes, it's built up with low density sprawl, but it's still barren.
1. Grass is vegetation. That's science.

2. Wrong again. It is actually almost insanely fertile. Literally among the most fertile place on the face of the earth. Fertile being the opposite of barren. Also science. sorry if it doesn't jibe with your tastes, but it's really not up to you to decide.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's not densely vegetated compared to many other areas.
You are, as usual, quite demostrable wrong.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
1. Grass is vegetation. That's science.

2. Wrong again. It is actually almost insanely fertile. Literally among the most fertile place on the face of the earth. Fertile being the opposite of barren. Also science. sorry if it doesn't jibe with your tastes, but it's really not up to you to decide.
Are you really going to get nit picky and technical here? I'm sorry if barren is the wrong word. When you drive around most of JoCo, it just feels like development replaced flat wheat fields. Very few trees or much of anything other than grass. There is a nice tree canopy now inside of the 435 beltway, but with the way JoCo is developed outside the beltway, I doubt that such a tree canopy will develop out there. Things are just too spread out and again, there is lots of privately owned grass around office parks etc or grass right of ways that will never have a lot of trees. Southern JoCo reminds me of the eastern suburbs of Denver. Just not my thing barren or not.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
You are, as usual, quite demostrable wrong.
"From April 1990." Are you missing the fact enormous acres of corn are irrigated in Kansas when dryland farming and ranching are the obvious choices? The last time I checked the Corn Belt was in the core of the Midwest, mostly along and east of the Missouri River, and along and north of 40-41N latitude. That is where the highest amount of corn and soybean acres are located compared to total farmed acreage. In terms of tree coverage, satellite imagery picks out the densest spots quite easily. I know what living in the backwoods is like, try two miles off a paved road on a lot with an older growth managed white pine forest.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM

638 posts, read 624,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
IN YOUR OPINION. Yes, I think Kansas is a better state to live in than Missouri. I have lived in both, and I have lived in urban, suburban and rural areas of both. Southern Missouri is WAY better than Kansas City, and I don't mean Springfield, but outside of Springfield, south of Springfield. But there's a lot of drug use and crime in rural/small town Missouri. That has ruined a lot of what USED to be decent about Missouri.
A common problem in all rural areas.

That you think southern Missouri is better than KCMO tells me we do not value the same things. I'd live in St. Louis (city or suburbs) or Kansas City over anywhere in southern Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City