Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

I'm a KC native who has lived in Minneapolis for 12 years. I grew up in the suburbs but spent a lot (and I mean a lot) of time downtown, westport, plaza in my 20's. Obviously, a lot has changed since I left.

My husband and I - both early 40's professionals - are relocating due to a great job opportunity for me. He may not work right away (he'll probably refresh some training), so we'll be limited to my income. We can afford $1200 or so a month. We considered pushing this to $1600 for a Western Auto loft with a great view, but at the last minute (after we'd already left KC for home!), the owner decided to sell rather than lease. My husband still can't talk about it, he was so in love with the place. After losing our beloved Western Auto loft, we've decided to revert back to our original more conservative budget. I can't believe we can't find anything!

We're looking to rent initially, and we've looked at several places. Nothing good to rent in Brookside, unfortunately. The kitchens of the rental homes are like camping! I've become pretty accustomed to pretty nice homes, so that won't do! And we need some space - 700 square feet won't work. We are looking at two specific apartments - one is in a renovated six-plex at 38th & Walnut (just one block over from Main, which seems sketchy), and a new rowhome at 45th & Rainbow. We're also considering River Market (despite the fact that I was held up at knife point there in the early 90's!), although we haven't found a specific place we like there.

What do you KC experts think about all this? Any advice? We now live in the suburbs in Minneapolis, but we lived in the city proper for several years. We want to live in the city in KC, at least for a while! Oh, no kids, and we enjoy going out to restaurants and bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
Did you ask Gabby?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I would keep looking in the Crossroads District

Old 07-17-2009, 10:51 AM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
The River Market has changed drastically since the early 90s. I wouldn't let what happened to you back then deter you from living there now - it is perfectly safe.

The intersection of 38th and Main is a little shady - which I think is largely due to the car wash located there which seems to attract unsavory people and activities. However, I lived nearby at 38th and Wyandotte for over 4 years and never had a single problem. But if you would be uncomfortable there, then maybe you should look elsewhere. (I think for $1200 -$1600 you shouldn't have too much of a problem).

A note pertaining to the 38th and Walnut area and Midtown as a whole (you may know this already): You may find that the feel of an area may change significantly from block to block. There are a few sketchy spots throughout Midtown like 38th and Main, but if you head over a block or two, it may be perfectly nice.

If you loved the Western Auto building and like the idea of urban loft living, then perhaps you should keep looking in areas like the Crossroads, Quality Hill, River Market, and Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City