Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,577 times

Advertisements

I have only lived in the KC area for a year now and still have much to learn about it. I am looking for a new job and saw one through the city of Grandview. I haven't been around Grandview and wasn't sure what kind of area it is. Is it mostly poor, mosly rich, in between. I have also hear people say that there is alot of black people there but then other people say there isn't. I just wanted to know from someone that actualy lives there what the area is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Mostly middle class. Kind of an open question about how may black people live in Gv. When i graduated there we had two black people. Lot's more than that now! lol Grandview used to be very redneck but not at all now. Up until 1964 there was a sign at the west end of town that eluded to stuff about "don't let the sun set". IMO a very good town but the are still some division. The old part of town is on the west side of 71 hwy and there are more black people living on the east side than the west side. The housing on the east side is better than on the west side. Newer and larger houses.
As for there being any racial problems. None existant.IMO. Great access to Longview Lake.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Default Grandview

Grandview is definitely a middle of the road kind of town. The interstate highway acess is good because it is located fairly close to 71 Highway and I-435. The newer homes are not always better. A lot of the new cookie cutter houses may be large but they generally use pretty cheap materials as well. Also, heating and cooling costs are generally higher anyway in a larger structure.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,647 times
Lightbulb Gvmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet_forever View Post
I have only lived in the KC area for a year now and still have much to learn about it. I am looking for a new job and saw one through the city of Grandview. I haven't been around Grandview and wasn't sure what kind of area it is. Is it mostly poor, mosly rich, in between. I have also hear people say that there is alot of black people there but then other people say there isn't. I just wanted to know from someone that actualy lives there what the area is like.
Very diverse city. Large Hispanic community in the Westside apartments. Citywide the minority population is about 40%. The racal tension is there in the lower social-economic neighborhoods, it boils below the surface most of the time. Citywide it is a lower middle class blue collar type area.
Great access to the rest of metro from there, and the City is not bad to work for, depending on the department. And the city does not have a residency requirement for employment.

Population (year 2000): 24,881. Estimated population in July 2005: 24,549 (-1.3% change)

Males: 11,999 (48.2%)Females: 12,882 (51.8%)

Estimated median household income in 2005: $44,200 (it was $40,003 in 2000)

Grandview $44,200

Races in Grandview:
  • White Non-Hispanic (58.0%)
  • Black (33.5%)
  • Hispanic (4.3%)
  • Two or more races (3.0%)
  • Other race (1.9%)
  • American Indian (1.7%)
http://www.grandview.org

http://www.csd4.k12.mo.us/

Last edited by crashcop; 05-21-2007 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: Form

Old 05-21-2007, 08:19 AM

[QUOTE The racal tension is there in the lower social-economic neighborhoods, it boils below the surface most of the time[/quote]

Care to explain this? I disagree. Where is all this tension. I would go anywhere in GV at anytime and not fear of any racial tension. I might get robbed if walking late at night; just like anyhere else.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
[QUOTE The racal tension is there in the lower social-economic neighborhoods, it boils below the surface most of the time
Care to explain this? I disagree. Where is all this tension. I would go anywhere in GV at anytime and not fear of any racial tension. I might get robbed if walking late at night; just like anyhere else.[/quote]

The tension is there, higher with the age group 15-21. Greenfield Village, and the Belvidere duplexs, 152 St -155 St. If you would walk anywhere at anytime in GV you do not know the city after 10 PM. This is my opinion based on 21 years of experience in the city itself.

http://notes.mshp.dps.mo.gov/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/ibiweb.exe (broken link)?

These are the 2006 part 1 crimes. This does not include crimes filed in the Municipal Court, 17th Judicial District, in and for Grandview. You might note I Believe Grandview has had 4-5 homocides this year already (2007).

Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 PM

I see by your handle that you are a cop in GV. As i said in my post that you can get robbed late at night in GV. I haven't really heard of any muggings. Please update us. Does this occur during normal daylight hrs. I have seen many times; the police questioning people walking around at night. Sure there have been problems at Greenfield Village and the Belvedere duplexes have some crime. I have been told that a lot of crime that hits GV is criminals that commit a crime in GV and then hit 71 hwy to get into KCMO proper. Do you feel this is correct? I feel that GV is safer than most of KCKS. Do you agree with that? I was of the impression that whiLe in GV so long as yoU didn't walk around like a victim and then using common sense then you will be allright. Should i look at things differently? This coming from living in the GV area for about 50 plus yrs.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I see by your handle that you are a cop in GV. As i said in my post that you can get robbed late at night in GV. I haven't really heard of any muggings. Please update us. Does this occur during normal daylight hrs. I have seen many times; the police questioning people walking around at night. Sure there have been problems at Greenfield Village and the Belvedere duplexes have some crime. I have been told that a lot of crime that hits GV is criminals that commit a crime in GV and then hit 71 hwy to get into KCMO proper. Do you feel this is correct? I feel that GV is safer than most of KCKS. Do you agree with that? I was of the impression that whiLe in GV so long as yoU didn't walk around like a victim and then using common sense then you will be allright. Should i look at things differently? This coming from living in the GV area for about 50 plus yrs.
I have retired recently. Grandview changes after about 10 PM. Your above post is mostly correct. I do not believe there is any comparison to KCK, Grandview is alot more liveable. Like I stated earlier the tension is between the younger crowd, you would be alright except for the occasional car jacking and/or street robbery, this can and does happen at any time, common sense goes a long way.

My expierience has shown most of the criminals come from mid-town and SKC. Then they use 71 hwy (Felony escape route) to flee North. By and large Grandview is populated by good, hard working families. Most of whom are at home and ready for bed at 10PM. Which, except for burglaries which are a daytime crime, is when the seedy side awakes. The normal citizen never sees it. I would suggest you contact the Major in charge of Patrol and see about a ride a long on a Friday/Saturday night. It would be a worth while experience. This of course is just my humble 2 cents worth.

The worst aspect of Grandview is geographical. KCMO surrounds it on 3 sides.

Last edited by crashcop; 05-23-2007 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: addition of text

Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM

6 posts, read 33,860 times
the tension would be alot lower if grandview pd wasnt harrassing the younger drivers and minorities all the time. and having for 4 to 5 cop cars for simple traffic stops are extreme. if you are part of the younger crowd in gview,you will be harrassed eventauly. basicaly grandview cops have alot time on there hands. but are no where to be found when you actauly need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
I have retired recently. Grandview changes after about 10 PM. Your above post is mostly correct. I do not believe there is any comparison to KCK, Grandview is alot more liveable. Like I stated earlier the tension is between the younger crowd, you would be alright except for the occasional car jacking and/or street robbery, this can and does happen at any time, common sense goes a long way.

My expierience has shown most of the criminals come from mid-town and SKC. Then they use 71 hwy (Felony escape route) to flee North. By and large Grandview is populated by good, hard working families. Most of whom are at home and ready for bed at 10PM. Which, except for burglaries which are a daytime crime, is when the seedy side awakes. The normal citizen never sees it. I would suggest you contact the Major in charge of Patrol and see about a ride a long on a Friday/Saturday night. It would be a worth while experience. This of course is just my humble 2 cents worth.

The worst aspect of Grandview is geographical. KCMO surrounds it on 3 sides.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker816 View Post
the tension would be alot lower if grandview pd wasnt harrassing the younger drivers and minorities all the time. and having for 4 to 5 cop cars for simple traffic stops are extreme. if you are part of the younger crowd in gview,you will be harrassed eventauly. basicaly grandview cops have alot time on there hands. but are no where to be found when you actauly need them.
You no not of which you speak. The patrol division averages about 11 calls for service in a 12 hour shift. This leaves little time for self initiated activity. The attorney general's list of profiling stats will disprove your other claims. Motorists get stopped when they do something wrong, that is not harrassment. Simple traffic stops led to felony arrests, drug arrests, belligerent, combative suspects, DUI arrests, warrant arrests, etc..there is never a "simple" traffic stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City