Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 PM

50 posts, read 94,238 times

Advertisements

This isn't the breeds fault . People can ban the breed but your just making them move on to another breed. There's to much money involved to ever stop this craziness.

I had to get rid of a pitbull I was very close to. The reason being he was a pitbull. He did nothing wrong. It was get rid of him or he would be put down if city got involved thats bs. Then a boxer turns around and bites a child in the face. Then rumors start that is was a boxer pitbull mix. Leave the pitbull out of it. Everyone knows that dog is a full blooded boxer. This is how pitbulls get pulled into bad media. I do know there is a ton of pitbulls in this town that weren't involved in this attack or any others in this town.

Do people realize the time care, money and love people put into these animals. Its like theft to take them away. I paid alot for my dog from a licensed breeder and good citizen certified dogs. Extra
I had insurance on him and kept him well socialize. Its sad and sickening.

Last edited by marknorman1979; 09-09-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Actually, I'm reading exactly what you write, as you write it. It isn't my fault you can't do that very well. But you still haven't explained about breed goobers. How are one breed's goobers different than other breeds' goobers? Do you taste them to tell them apart? Consistency? Or at your level of expertise, do you just know intuitively?

Oh, and no one has slandered anyone here. Seriously. Not one word of this has been slanderous, not by you nor me, or the other person.
Just fyi I was being sarcastic on much of this stuff.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
No, they're not evil, nor did I ever claim they were. Good and evil are human concepts. Pitbulls are animals, neither good nor evil; they want to be unharmed, to eat, to rest safely, to breed, all the standard animal desires. Pitbulls are most absolutely more dangerous than most other dog breeds, which is why Vickos who fight dogs choose and prefer pit bulls, and why scumbag gangsters and adder-mean rednecks love using pit bulls to threaten people (as opposed to, say, basset hounds).

It works because pitbulls are easier to turn dangerous. Any dog can be made crazy and dangerous through abuse, it just seems to produce more swift and vicious results with pitbulls. If it worked better with Pomeranians, the Vickos of the world would use Pomeranians to fight. Pitbulls also seem to convey their stereotypical rep to owners, to judge by the lunacy that some of their owners present when someone speaks ill of precious Rover. My guess is that the owners know there's truth to it, hate that situation because they really like their dogs and wish it weren't so (which is fair enough), and fly off the handle because truth stings.
So you admit there are other breeds that are more dangerous ? Yet everyone wants to focus just on the pitbull. How about everyone focus on stopping gangs and these redknecks that slave these dog to behave this way. Personally I'd rather see them off the street then killing poor innocent dogs. These animals belong here. They have been around before you and I. No one has the right to ban these dogs. I live in a small town and dog fighting here is very unlikely and there isn't a need for this ban. The ban didn't stop another breed from attacking a child. Its their owners people. Put a stop to the bad owners. That's why we have cops and animal control.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Bourbon County has a ban on pit bulls and pit bull mixes. Are they here anyway? Yes. Keep in mind that most of the codes are enforced against some and with the others, they just turn their heads the other way. I saw the neatest little picture guide on the bully breeds website in Kansas and they have you choose the pit bull from several different pictures of breeds. And, it is a fact that dogs that are not even remotely a pitbull or even look like one or a mix are called a "pit bull" when they are a lab mix, boxer mix, etc. Our town already has an ordinance against vicious dogs and goes into what characteristics that encompasses and I feel that should be sufficient. I called the City and asked about why they passed it and no one appeared to know.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
I've been around many pits. Honestly, they have all been very sweet, gentle animals. Of course the ones I've been around have been raised properly. Our local dog park has a lot of pits that are regulars. Maybe the stigma isn't as strong here, but no one seems to be scared of them. In fact, they are typically very well behaved. The herding dogs seem to be the most problematic, always trying to nip at the dogs and steer them around.

Even the pits I've seen at the shelter and humane society when I adopted my dogs were very sweet dogs. I saw a torn up, undernourished female pit in a cage at the shelter waiting her turn to be euthanized. Her face and neck was mutilated and covered with both new wounds and old scar tissue. She'd probably been used as a breeding and/or bait dog and then dumped somewhere when she was used up. She came over to the side of the cage and leaned against it. I talked to her and pet her for a while. It was heartbreaking. Even after all the torture HUMANS had put her through, she still yearned for human affection. I've never been "against" pitbulls but that incident really touched me. Combine that with countless positive pitbull experiences and not a single bad one has made me a proponent.

I even ended up going home with a lab/pit mix (we thought he was a lab puppy when we got him and his mix became apparent as he grew). He is very sweet and gentle, although stubborn as can be.

Pit bulls are not unique in fighting ability. They happen to be common here and in the UK. There are dozens of fighting dog breeds around the world. If pits are banned, they will just move onto another breed: presa canario, dogo argentina, tosa inu, akita, dogue de bordeaux... All of those are bigger dogs than pit bulls as well. Granted they aren't as common but it doesn't take long to take an uncommon breed and popularize them and then they become common and cheap and of lower standards.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Bourbon County has a ban on pit bulls and pit bull mixes. Are they here anyway? Yes. Keep in mind that most of the codes are enforced against some and with the others, they just turn their heads the other way. I saw the neatest little picture guide on the bully breeds website in Kansas and they have you choose the pit bull from several different pictures of breeds. And, it is a fact that dogs that are not even remotely a pitbull or even look like one or a mix are called a "pit bull" when they are a lab mix, boxer mix, etc. Our town already has an ordinance against vicious dogs and goes into what characteristics that encompasses and I feel that should be sufficient. I called the City and asked about why they passed it and no one appeared to know.
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Excellent article. Please read. Pet Pit Bull - Breed-specific Legislation

Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknorman1979 View Post
Well sir if you can't read then there is no help for you. I've come to the conclusion that your a idiot. I like all dogs breeds and none of them should be banned over stupidity. Its not the breed its the humans that cause this.
Well, until dogs can live independent lives, get jobs and support themselves, humans will be their caretakers, their stewards their advocates. Since so many stupid and irresponsible dog owners abound, the laws apply to THEM, not their dogs.

Last week, there was a celebrated story in Independence about a woman who found her 1-year old Jack Russell terrier hanged from a tree in her front yard. This woman garnered so much sympathy, and people on blogs everywhere were screaming for the dog-killer to be strung up. The woman said the little dog was her "best friend" and she was devastated.

Then it was revealed that this very young small-breed dog had been tied to a tree overnight in the unfenced front yard. Okay, take a young dog, a yappy breed to begin with, tie it to a tree when people are trying to sleep, throw in one crazy person, and you have created a recipe for disaster. I have little sympathy for any dog owner who is so clueless and stupid. You don't tie your "best friend" to a tree and leave it there overnight. If the criminal who killed this dog hadn't happened to be there, the dog would have still been in danger, from a larger stray dog, a coyote, or from getting tangled in shrubbery and being strangled.

Sorry to digress from the subject here, but I have zero tolerance for stupid dog owners. I love dogs too much.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Well, until dogs can live independent lives, get jobs and support themselves, humans will be their caretakers, their stewards their advocates. Since so many stupid and irresponsible dog owners abound, the laws apply to THEM, not their dogs.

Last week, there was a celebrated story in Independence about a woman who found her 1-year old Jack Russell terrier hanged from a tree in her front yard. This woman garnered so much sympathy, and people on blogs everywhere were screaming for the dog-killer to be strung up. The woman said the little dog was her "best friend" and she was devastated.

Then it was revealed that this very young small-breed dog had been tied to a tree overnight in the unfenced front yard. Okay, take a young dog, a yappy breed to begin with, tie it to a tree when people are trying to sleep, throw in one crazy person, and you have created a recipe for disaster. I have little sympathy for any dog owner who is so clueless and stupid. You don't tie your "best friend" to a tree and leave it there overnight. If the criminal who killed this dog hadn't happened to be there, the dog would have still been in danger, from a larger stray dog, a coyote, or from getting tangled in shrubbery and being strangled.

Sorry to digress from the subject here, but I have zero tolerance for stupid dog owners. I love dogs too much.
Do you happen to know what kind of punishment this person received? We just had a incident in our town that involved a child getting bit by a boxer. You should be able to read the article on the blade empire website. I'm going to be very upset if this owner walks away with a slap on the hand. They have returned one of the aggressive dogs taken from the property and they have the pup back as well. They should have no right to have a pet in this town and definetly never breed again. The ban law set up doesn't prevent a thing especially in this town. Everyone should focus on the owners .

Thank you for your post Tina. I do agree with most of what you say. I live in a community where the dogs that are banned are not a problem. It was a law passed off ignorance. We don't have the issues like cities do.

Last edited by marknorman1979; 09-11-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknorman1979 View Post
Do you happen to know what kind of punishment this person received? We just had a incident in our town that involved a child getting bit by a boxer. You should be able to read the article on the blade empire website. I'm going to be very upset if this owner walks away with a slap on the hand. They have returned one of the aggressive dogs taken from the property and they have the pup back as well. They should have no right to have a pet in this town and definetly never breed again. The ban law set up doesn't prevent a thing especially in this town. Everyone should focus on the owners .

Thank you for your post Tina. I do agree with most of what you say. I live in a community where the dogs that are banned are not a problem. It was a law passed off ignorance. We don't have the issues like cities do.

Punishment? You mean for the woman who tied her dog to a tree so it could be murdered by some nutcase? No, she's receiving no punishment, only sympathy, and now people have collected $1000 to offer as a reward for info leading to the arrest of the person who hung her dog. She is still seen as the victim here. If she shows up at a local shelter or adoption event wanting to adopt another dog, I think they should tell her to get lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas