Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 40,736 times

Advertisements

Is there any websites which show local grocery adds or store adds in Hawaii to see what prices things sell for? That would be nice to find out.

I understand Safeway and Costco are two big retailers there. Which we have neither of here in Southwest Missouri. Just Wally World and Price Cutter.

Also, is there a good place to see what gas prices are there? I have a 2005 Scion xB which I could ship if it's cost effective. I own it out right and it gets 30mpg so those are two pluses.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
There are the standard grocery store flyers in the Wednesday paper here but I don't see them online. Also the flyers show specials and loss leaders so I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

I would guess that compared to Missouri you will pay 50-75% more for groceries at retail. Of course shopping the specials will bring that down considerably. The only large grocery store within 20 miles of Waimea (one located in town) is a small Kauai chain called Big Save. Safeway is on the opposite end of the island and has good prices but is way to far to drive. Costco (located in Lihue) is a life saver here on Kauai and you will be able to save a great deal there plus the quality is high.

I have to go to Lihue this morning so I'll try and remember to check the gas price at Costco.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM

36 posts, read 102,061 times
Aloha All!
Ozarkman, You can check out Safeway.com to see the local Kauai weekly ad. You'll need to enter a local zip code. 96766.
As the other posters have mentioned Costco is awesome. We've found that many prices are the same as our Costco on the mainland.
Walmart in Kauai also has food items at resonable prices. Big ketchup $1.66, mustard $1.08, 5lb bag of rice $5.96, jar spaghetti sauce $1.58, pasta $1.12.
When we're on the island we like to shop at the Farmer's Market. Last month I bought a bunch of long beans for $1, Papayas for $1, small bag cherry tomatoes $1.50, bunch of basil $1, small pineapple $3 (they tend to have bigger less expensive pineapples at Costco).
We live in a rural area of California. I have to drive 20 minutes to get to the closest grocery store. It's the only store for miles with the prices to prove it! Many items are often more expensive here than Kauai.
I think the Garden Island Newspaper publishes gas prices. Check out their website.
Best of luck to you!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
There are the standard grocery store flyers in the Wednesday paper here but I don't see them online. Also the flyers show specials and loss leaders so I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

I would guess that compared to Missouri you will pay 50-75% more for groceries at retail. Of course shopping the specials will bring that down considerably. The only large grocery store within 20 miles of Waimea (one located in town) is a small Kauai chain called Big Save. Safeway is on the opposite end of the island and has good prices but is way to far to drive. Costco (located in Lihue) is a life saver here on Kauai and you will be able to save a great deal there plus the quality is high.

I have to go to Lihue this morning so I'll try and remember to check the gas price at Costco.
Regular gas was $3.37 at Costco this morning and local gas stations were $3.57.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Safeway and foodland do have weekly websites ads! I will look them up for you I dont know about Times market

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
There is Ishihara market in Waimea too for my favorite poke!!! If you live in Waimea, even driving to Costco will seem like a chore...I feel that way and I'm only in Koloa!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM

21 posts, read 74,535 times
I would suggest the big island over Kauai. Many more options and variety of foods, shopping, restaurants, housing, schools. I love Kilauea. University of Hawaii is in Hilo if your daughter is interested in college over there. Costco has the cheapest gas on the island. If you have the time, consider a home exchange. We did this through homeexchange.com

Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM

18 posts, read 89,822 times
If you like the small town, kicked back lifestyle I think you will love Kauai. And your wife will be right at home. Waimea is a lovely town. Hanapepe/Ele ele is nice too. The whole west side is great.

Yes, we do have great farmers markets here on Kauai. We have small expensive fish markets. Yes everything is expensive. Waimea High seems like a great school. Regarding rentals? The economy is slow right now there are many rentals.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 AM

8 posts, read 40,736 times
Thanks everyone for all the information. I am in consideration for two positions there, but they are both on the big island. One in Kaelakekua and the other in Waimea. The rent I have found on craigslist and the like is not to bad considering. I think I like Waimea better as far as what I can read and find out about the town and the community. My son is all ready to move tomorrow. He is looking forward to living somewhere with a more Asian influence. He is curious if there are any skate parks on the big island close to Waimea or Kaelakekua? Also, I own my Scion outright now what is the going price to ship a car there? I figure that would be best in the long run since it's my car.

Thanks for all the help

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 AM

In my opinion either position would work out well for you. Waimea is up country (cooler) and Kaelakekua (warmer) closer to the ocean. If you worked in Kaelakekua you could commute from the Ka'u area (south) and the cost to rent a home would be some of the cheapest in Hawaii. On a negative note there is more VOG issues here then in Waimea.

Both areas are quite rural so I don't think either has a skate park. Maybe in Kona which is north of Kaelakekua. Your son will have to like living in the sticks if he's to enjoy himself in either location.

By all means bring your car; you'll have to get a quote but I would figure around $3K to ship from your location. You might want to post a paticular question here to get current information only on this subject.

PS: If I remember correctly the Kaelakekua area is big into coffee farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai