Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:35 PM

15 posts, read 41,646 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm in school to be a paramedic and was wondering what EMS was like in Kauai which is the island I'm thinking about moving to. Is it fire based, I think I read somewhere that EMS in Hawaii is not fire based except for the big island, which I hope is true because that is perfect for me. Hopefully I can get some info here but if not what're some resources I could check out?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM

74 posts, read 333,917 times
You are correct in that EMS on Kaua'i is not fire-based and the Big Island is the only county that has a combined system. American Medical Response is the state contractee for 911 EMS services for Kaua'i county. Unfortunately, because it is such a desirable place to live and work, it is nearly impossible for a newly certified non-resident paramedic to find F/T employment on their ambulances. Most of the medics there have held their positions for 10+ years, and I know of several who are approaching or are past the 25-year employment mark and show little interest in retiring. This also holds true for Maui county. The Big Island and O'ahu are the counties in need of paramedics, but AMR on those islands only does 911 as a backup to their primary focus of interfacility transports. Those who want to work on Maui or Kaua'i usually work AMR on O'ahu F/T for a few years, then, if there are openings, commute to the outer islands for a 24 or 48-hr shift.

Out-of-state paramedics first need to obtain reciprocity to practice in Hawai'i. Check the FAQ and the application forms under the Dept of Commerce and Consumer Affairs' Professional and Vocational Licensing website: Licensing Area: Medical and Osteopathy (M.D., D.O., Podiatrist, Physician Assistant, EMT-B, and EMT-P) — Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs

You can also contact AMR for information regarding their employment opportunities in Hawai'i.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM

15 posts, read 41,646 times
Thank you so much for such an informative post. Seriously you like answered all my questions. Thanks. If you don't mind I have another, I was researching things on the internet and came across Hawaii Pacific Health, do you know of any information about this organization, is it a desirable place to work? I am also a Pharmacy Technician which is why I am asking btw.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM

HPH is composed of a conglomerate of hospitals: Wilcox Hosp. on Kaua'i and on O'ahu, Straub Clinic & Hosp., Pali Momi Medical Ctr., and Kapi'olani Medical Ctr. for Women and Children. They also have a few satellite clinics on O'ahu. Since the merger, they seem to be doing reasonably well financially and, at least from a biased point of view (I happen to work for an O'ahu HPH facility,) have a good number of employees who have been working for them for many years---usually a sign that their people are pretty satisfied with their work situation and environment. I've worked for my facility for 14+ yrs (long before the merger) and they have been good to work for both before and after they became HPH. I will say, though, that I know little to nothing about Wilcox Hospital. If you have read some of this forum's threads deploring the overall quality of outer island-rural health care---at least from an EMS standpoint, any significant illness or injury, if they want to survive, ends up on O'ahu.

I can't give you any insight into job opportunities for pharmacy techs, but I will say that unless you have significant time and experience in your specialization, jobs are few and far between---and entry-level ones nearly non-existent unless you pound the pavement aggressively, apply everywhere for everything, and pretty much take whatever you can get. UH Hilo started a Pharmacy/ RPh program to great fanfare a short time ago, graduated a large class, and now many of these new grads can't find jobs. Many graduates of RN programs here are experiencing the same. There are openings for allied health personnel, but employers want experience, and you can't get experience unless you get a job. That Catch-22 is forcing a lot of people with new vocational degrees to either have to wait a prolonged time for something to open up, take a position that is less in scope of practice and pay than what they trained for (like an RN having to take a CNA position) or having to go out-of-state to work and gain experience, then hope they can return to HI someday. It's tough to have to witness, let alone be in that position.

Good luck in your education and career choices.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM

>hey!!! I will tell you a little about EMS in Hawaii ...Since 1978, the mission of this program has been to administer, maintain, and operate a State comprehensive emergency medical services system throughout Hawaii that is designed to reduce medical emergency deaths, injuries, and permanent long-term disability through the implementation of a fully integrated cohesive network of related components...<snip>

This is lifted straight from the State of Hawai'i's EMS and Injury Prevention Branch's mission statement:

Hawai&lsquo;i State Department of Health

Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,222 times
Default Info AMR Kauai

Hey, was wondering if anyone had info on emplyoment as a Paramedic with Kauai AMR. I am currently a Paramedic in California with 10 years of 911 expirence(does that even make a difference?). I plan on moving in about 6 to 7 months. One of my main questions is there really any chance of getting a job with AMR Kauai or is it nearly impossible? Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 14,109 times
are you still working for the city and county

Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Might want to send them a DM, their post is over a year old and if they did indeed move to HI 6-7 months after their post, they've been there 7-8 months now..

Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 PM

431 posts, read 940,230 times
Old posts but if anyone is interested in the subject here's some info from the Hawaii gov site about EMT qualifications:

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/faqs/medi..._emtb_emtp.pdf

Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
For the benefit of anyone coming across this thread later, here's the executive summary of what that gov site says, courtesy of my friend the Island of Hawai'i EMS technician:

If you want to work EMS in Hawai'i you must take your EMS training in Hawai'i. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai