Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 AM

33 posts, read 79,013 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I just moved to Kauai (Kalaheo, work in Koloa) 2 months ago and have been using my prepay ATT cell phone since I got here. It works fine, but I'm considering getting some sort of plan that actually lets me call people without charging me a lot. Was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with reception here? I'm not worried about known dead spots (unless they cover the whole island) but just overall cell service. I'd like my phone to work most of the time. Anyone know about Sprint/Boost/Virgin, ATT, Verizon or anything else? ATT works fine, but Boost and Virgin have better prepay all-inclusive types of plans.... but they run on Sprint and so far I only see bad things about Sprint here (not sure if it applies to data or calls or what). I could always keep my ATT pay-as-you-go as a backup and get something like Virgin that includes unlimited messaging and data plus 300 minutes for $25... or Boost has unlimited messaging, data, and talk for $50... But if the Sprint network sucks that's not such a good idea. Anyone have experience with the Sprint network on Kauai? Or do you use a different service that I haven't mentioned that has comparable plans? Currently I pay $1/day to answer the phone, 10 cents a minute if they aren't ATT, plus $10/month for text messaging.. and I've been using my phone almost every day. Any ideas, info, or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
I have Verizon, live on Oahu, but travel to Kauai now and then. Never have had a problem.

Hank

Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 PM

66 posts, read 233,304 times
We just back from a 2 week vacation to Kauai. We have Verizon and had decent coverage except at Ke'e Beach and Tunnels, also bad reception at Polihale Beach. Everywhere in between, the reception was great.

It did seem like we had less coverage on Kauai than on Maui or Oahu with Verizon.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Ya now I'm actually looking at Page Plus wireless... it runs on Verizon and has a pretty great plan... 1200 minutes+2000 texts+100mb data for $30/month prepaid. I just have to figure out where to buy a Verizon phone without a plan. Thanks to you both!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM

66 posts, read 233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmochilera View Post
Ya now I'm actually looking at Page Plus wireless... it runs on Verizon and has a pretty great plan... 1200 minutes+2000 texts+100mb data for $30/month prepaid. I just have to figure out where to buy a Verizon phone without a plan. Thanks to you both!
check on ebay for a used phone

Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 PM

ya i'm currently looking on ebay for used droids. it sucks that i can't get warranties and stuff though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai