Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 18,319 times

Advertisements

My wife & I, both in our early 40's, are thinking about buying a house, moving to Kauai and starting a small business within a year. Currently, we both work online for media companies and luckily I can keep my job and work remotely from there. We've been to all the islands before, some more than once, and really like Kauai the most.

The plan would be that we buy a house (been looking a lot), move, I keep my remote job, and my wife will get the biz up and running.

We have a few different ideas about the types of businesses but wondering if anyone had opinions about what sorts of services locals and/or tourists would be useful on Kauai? What are some ideas you often think "Why don't we have THAT here?" or "this is really needed" type of thing.

Thanks for any & all feedback!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphy View Post
My wife & I, both in our early 40's, are thinking about buying a house, moving to Kauai and starting a small business within a year. Currently, we both work online for media companies and luckily I can keep my job and work remotely from there. We've been to all the islands before, some more than once, and really like Kauai the most.

The plan would be that we buy a house (been looking a lot), move, I keep my remote job, and my wife will get the biz up and running.

We have a few different ideas about the types of businesses but wondering if anyone had opinions about what sorts of services locals and/or tourists would be useful on Kauai? What are some ideas you often think "Why don't we have THAT here?" or "this is really needed" type of thing.

Thanks for any & all feedback!!
An interisland ferry service between Kaua'i and O'ahu would be useful.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 18,319 times
lol, i also thought so but many disagree

Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,056,205 times
a business not only depends on what the island might need but if you have the skill set/experience/financial backing to provide it over the long haul until you are established. even then it doesn't mean it will be a success. the islands really do have everything you need, someone is providing it. can someone provide it better, cheaper? maybe, maybe not.

some services/businesses have been around so long there is no way to compete with them even if you have the money to try. having a shave ice stand, a little dress shop, being a tax service, have a cleaning business, being a plumber or opening up a day care, the every day stuff is what people do. we need the same thing any area of the mainland would needs, if you can do it well there it should translate here unless it's a snow removal company

all you can do is hope the business you pick, will pay for itself, pay you a salary that isn't below minimum wage and you can enjoy life. all else is gravy

Old 08-28-2011, 03:58 PM

20 posts, read 54,883 times
Default A bookstore

I am missing a bookstore, actually

Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,056,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischi19 View Post
I am missing a bookstore, actually
both our borders and borers express have just closed down. not enough business, guess too many people are reading on kindles these days

Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,806 times
You can open a Ross in the old Borders....

Open a preschool/daycare! My friend is having the worst time finding a place for her son...or train with the shoe repairman (cobbler?) i think he will retire soon enough and i dont know where ill take my shoes!

I think without being really familiar with Kauai and having the proper support on island, it would be hard to open a business. We see so many businesses come and go.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,700,230 times
Kauai needs lots of businesses. Kauai probably had all of them at one time. What is needed and what can survive with the customer base are two different things.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,196 times
Appliance repair person. Focus on high end appliances, esp refrigeration.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 AM

20 posts, read 54,883 times
Default another possibilities...

any method to produce cheap energy
cheap milk
good bread and pastry
clean, cheap (limited service) accommodation for tourists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai