Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:53 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,886 times

Advertisements

OK, there are lots of "wild" chickens on Kauai. So, does anyone know if it's legal to catch them, kill them and eat them? Maybe being wild they don't taste so good, I dunno, but wild turkeys (while very different from your average 'butterball') are good.

My son is obsessed with the idea that when we move to Kauai, he can hunt or trap or otherwise get hold of some of those chickens, so as to help contribute to the family dinner pot. I don't want to mislead him. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I have tried to tell him that, whether or not the chickens are 'fair game', there is a lot of hunting on Kauai, and he can certainly learn how to hunt for something (he's a pretty good shot with a bow, we're not talking firearms here, not at 11 anyway). I know there are numerous different seasons and rules for various quarry and that there are areas where people hunt up in the mountains. Anybody know whether bow hunting is permitted, or is it just guns? I'm going to check the DNR site, but I thought I'd ask you all first, since I don't think there's anything about chickens on there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,732 times
My friends go bowhunting around Kokee....

As far as the chickens go, I'm sure people somewhere around here eat them, but I wouldn't want to eat them b/c they seem so gross and dirty. Tell your son he can keep one for cockfighting though, thats pretty big around here.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,886 times
Eew, I don't think he'd be interested in cockfighting (I wouldn't, anyway!). But to each his own. (There must be a phrase in Hawaiian or pidgin that means that, it seems to be a core principle of Aloha. Works for me.)

I went to the Dept. of Land and Natural Resources site and found out a LOT about hunting on Kauai (looks like he can hunt not only for pheasant, which he thinks would be great, but also for wild pig, wild goat and black-tailed deer), with a bow. There is even one area that is only for bow hunting (no firearms), and others that have seasons for guns, bows, and even "dogs and knives". Now that sounds, well, interesting (again, not for me, I don't think...).

As for the chickens, apparently if they're in a 'developed' area (e.g., truckin' around the neighborhood), they're fair game. If they are in a wild area, they are protected and regulated, as are all "jungle fowl". But if they wander into your yard, the DLNR specifically says they are deemed "free-flying domestic fowl", and you are free to "put them in the pot". "Backyard chicken" it's called, and according to the gov. website, many people do just that. You can even rent traps from DLNR if you don't have your own (apparently controlling the population this way is encouraged).

Happy chicken hunting all! And Happy New Year! (Go Warriors!)

Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
As for the chickens, apparently if they're in a 'developed' area (e.g., truckin' around the neighborhood), they're fair game. If they are in a wild area, they are protected and regulated, as are all "jungle fowl". But if they wander into your yard, the DLNR specifically says they are deemed "free-flying domestic fowl", and you are free to "put them in the pot". "Backyard chicken" it's called, and according to the gov. website, many people do just that. You can even rent traps from DLNR if you don't have your own (apparently controlling the population this way is encouraged).

Happy chicken hunting all! And Happy New Year! (Go Warriors!)
The chickens are the result of Hurricane Iniki that broke open lots of chicken coops on the island in 1992.

My son lives on Kauai, and gave me this recipe for feral chicken.

Catch the chicken.

Clean it.

Put it in a pot.

Cover with water.

Add a medium sized rock.

Boil for three days.

Remove the chicken.

Eat the rock.

Hank

Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 PM

203 posts, read 1,358,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
The chickens are the result of Hurricane Iniki that broke open lots of chicken coops on the island in 1992.

My son lives on Kauai, and gave me this recipe for feral chicken.

Catch the chicken.

Clean it.

Put it in a pot.

Cover with water.

Add a medium sized rock.

Boil for three days.

Remove the chicken.

Eat the rock.

Hank
lolololololol

Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Hank, do you recommend lava rock for that recipe?? There's a place here on Maui, way upcountry in Olinda, where people dump roosters and chickens all the time, would probably require four days in the stew pot and one pound of ajinomoto!!!!!! They do hire guys to hunt Axis deer down in Wailea, the oversized rodents have kind of taken over the golf course, wonder what there handicap is??????

Aloha, and, did I mention, GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM

54 posts, read 195,420 times
LMAO!!! I love that recipe! Too funny!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,821 times
I wonder if the rock is very tender after 3 days!!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 57,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
The chickens are the result of Hurricane Iniki that broke open lots of chicken coops on the island in 1992....
Hi Hank,
We lived on Kauai during Iniki.

There were a lot of wild chickens prior to Iniki and the roosters had this weird thing about crowing at 2AM outside our window.

After Iniki for a month or so it was super quiet since I assume most of the chickens and roosters were blown out to sea.

Enjoyed your recipe...

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM

66 posts, read 254,679 times
I think all of you who condone hunting and cockfighting don't deserve to live in Hawaii. What a shame to have such a beautiful place and then have people tarnish it with your cruelty, bloodlust and primitive thinking. Can't you enjoy nature without killing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai