Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM

39 posts, read 159,923 times

Advertisements

What a great place. I won't go off about the beauty of the island, because if you've been there, you know, and if you haven't, you won't get it until you go.

We went to a luau (it was free), but otherwise didn't do the tourist stuff. We met a lot of really cool people, most of them locals. I spent a lot of time at Tradewinds in the Coconut Marketplace after the wife went to bed. Invariably, I ended up hanging out with the locals talking crap about the tourists and their convertible Mustangs acting like the entire island was there for their amusement. Yes, they knew I was a tourist, but for whatever reason, I was okay with them. One of them, a native Hawaiian, planted the seed of moving there. Out of the blue, he said that if I ever did, I would be welcome, and gave me his number.

Long story short, I have Multiple Sclerosis and need to move to a place that is not too hot and not too cold after I get my college degree. Kauai fits the bill. The only problem is that we have two kids, who would be 9 and 10 at the time. I'm not sure they would handle the adjustment, especially in school, very well.

I'm not really asking any questions, just making some comments and looking for any general thoughts. Cool board, though. Lots of good info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
Oh Tradewinds...

What are you studying and what line of work do you wish to pursue?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Oh Tradewinds...

What are you studying and what line of work do you wish to pursue?
I am pursuing a degree in Computer Info Systems with a dual concentration in Web Design and Network Administration. As far as what I wish to pursue, I'm not a "rat race" kind of guy. I bought a shirt while I was on-island that said, "goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses," because it is how I live my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some unmotivated bum, but I believe that life presents direction and opportunities without having to search for them. For instance, my major is a result of a gut feeling, and following that feeling has led me to a 4.0 GPA and a general satisfaction with where I am going. So long as I can use my proclivity for technology to uplift those around me, I'll be happy.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Oh, the Marketplace........your bringing back memories.
I love that area. When we visited the beautiful Kauai we got a huge condo as part of the package, right by the Marketplace. Just delightful.
Awesome mountains, and wonderful people.
I think I would do that if I were you. Just plan on hoping planes to other islands when you have time. Being on just one small island constantly, can feel quite boxed in.
The flights between are nice and short, and each island is so different.
My favorite place to visit, besides that I do love Florida........
The scenic beauty can't be beat in Kauai........

Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
That is kind of how I feel...

One of my friends worked as an accountant for years and then moved out here to get out of Silicon Valley and just corporate USA. He loves the slow pace of life but I think he wants to move back at some point.

Anyway, there are definitely job opportunities in networking/IT....so thats a good start!

If you really want to seriously consider moving to the islands, I would suggest reading So you want to live in Hawaii? which is a really informative book about the realities of living here. I would also take into consideration the fact that you will be thousands of miles from home, friends and family and that life here is VERY different (in both good and bad ways). Obviously, life is expensive but manageable.

Think it over and if you really want to do it, whats stopping you?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
If you really want to seriously consider moving to the islands, I would suggest reading So you want to live in Hawaii? which is a really informative book about the realities of living here. I would also take into consideration the fact that you will be thousands of miles from home, friends and family and that life here is VERY different (in both good and bad ways). Obviously, life is expensive but manageable.

Think it over and if you really want to do it, whats stopping you?
LOL, I was on my way to pick that book up from the library tonight when I remembered that gov't offices are closed. As far as being far away from family, that is not a problem at all. I moved away from home years ago, and am much happier for it. Going back is an ordeal I can do without. As far as friends, as long as I have my best friend, my wife, I'm cool.

The big issue for me is the kids. They are used to being in the minority though, so maybe it wouldn't be as tough as I worry it might be. They were both the only white kids in their classes in Phoenix, and we are the only white family in our neighborhood here in Denver. Like everyone says about Hawaii, most of the people in our neighborhood are good people, but there's a bad apple or two who don't like us because we're white and never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai