Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM

20 posts, read 40,104 times

Advertisements

hello im 18 years old and im planning to move to kauai in a few months hopefully, im tired of living in NYC and im ready to have a slower and more "laid back" life. i'd also like to start a family there in the future so what does an 18 - 25 spend their time on in kauai? (im moving there alone btw)
im going to visit for a few weeks before i make up my mind but i'd still like to hear something about living there opinions / suggestions plz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
Uhmmmm we don't really do anything...

There are like 3 bars on the entire island and other than that we drink in the back of trucks or on the beach.

Its great having all of the beaches but be prepared for a ton of drama....I feel like because everyone here knows each other, its like 40times more drama...

Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Uhmmmm we don't really do anything...

There are like 3 bars on the entire island and other than that we drink in the back of trucks or on the beach.

Its great having all of the beaches but be prepared for a ton of drama....I feel like because everyone here knows each other, its like 40times more drama...
is that really it? what about finding jobs? im sure not ALL the social cliques there have all this "drama" its about how you handle yourself

Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM

21 posts, read 154,599 times
nothing to do? Hike, bike, canoe, wow this is the life......

Old 01-30-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcsride View Post
nothing to do? Hike, bike, canoe, wow this is the life......
yeah well ive been living in the city all my life and being surrounded by concrete isnt too much fun

Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM

156 posts, read 805,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzitgoing View Post
yeah well ive been living in the city all my life and being surrounded by concrete isnt too much fun
So … this move will be BIG change for you. Are you sure you want it?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
Like the above poster said, theres a lot of outdoors stuff. I personally hang out with a lot of older people, whom I work with. We have a lot of cook outs, go fishing, and of course I work all the time.

Life here is very slow and also very family oriented (which has been hard for me b/c my family is on the east coast...)

Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
So … this move will be BIG change for you. Are you sure you want it?
Im 85% sure of it, now that im older i realized i wasted alot of my childhood with drugs and spent alot of time with the wrong crowd and we would do nothing but sit in front of porches or in parks just waiting for something interesting to happen or find something better to do but dont get me wrong ive spent some time in 5th ave or times square manhattan..... i feel so isolated by the tall buildings and such and when i go home i have to worry about getting robbed or getting into a fight - i live in a more "ghetto" part in queens although it began to settle down a bit from since when i was young. But anyway i realized i didnt want my childhood to be spent doing all this but at least i can still have the fun of watching my future kids grow up right, culture and family seems to be highly valued in hawaii. in NYC we stuck to our traditions (im philipino/ malay btw) but we were poor and my family eventually split up and move to different parts of the city to find work and i dont want to end up like that as well. we rarely meet each other or spend time as a family anymore.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 AM

156 posts, read 805,943 times
I talk about switch from BIG CITY life to small village living. Believe me, it’s HUGE change, especially for young people. Island syndrome is not joke. It’s real. I hope you have a lot of outdoor hobbies: surfing, diving, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking … otherwise you screwed.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
I talk about switch from BIG CITY life to small village living. Believe me, it’s HUGE change, especially for young people. Island syndrome is not joke. It’s real. I hope you have a lot of outdoor hobbies: surfing, diving, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking … otherwise you screwed.

haha i get you... i know its a big change of enviroment but i believe life should be simple. i could sit in a beach and watch the waves for hours on end. theres not alot of "outdoorsy" type things to do in nyc except for taking a walk in the park. i'd like to pick up surfing and diving, hell i'd go for a day of fishing rather than going to the movies. ill be sure to visit at least 2 or 3 of the islands before deciding to stay. i dont really think ill be missing living in nyc too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai