Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 03:52 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times

Advertisements

I went to Kauai for my honeymoon back in 2002. It was of course beautiful. I am a career firefighter/paramedic here in South Florida. I was wondering how often does the Kauai fire-department hire ? And what is the salary range ? Also, is the rescue EMS service separate from the fire-department or are they combined into one "Fire-Rescue" service as many places in the mainland U.S. have.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:40 PM

60 posts, read 451,636 times
A good friend just transferred from the dept here (Big Island) to Kauai, in fact he starts there on the 15th. Hiring is not done often on Kauai and the Fire is it's own entity. Of all the islands only the Big Island combines Fire and EMS. All islands are of the same union and base montly salary after probation for firefighters are around $3400 p/month. This is a little deceptive though, because your medical and retirement are taken out of that. Look at bringing home about $1000 or so every two weeks. EMT's here get an extra $3 or so per hour and MICT's get about an extra $6 per hour.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssxa View Post
A good friend just transferred from the dept here (Big Island) to Kauai, in fact he starts there on the 15th. Hiring is not done often on Kauai and the Fire is it's own entity. Of all the islands only the Big Island combines Fire and EMS. All islands are of the same union and base montly salary after probation for firefighters are around $3400 p/month. This is a little deceptive though, because your medical and retirement are taken out of that. Look at bringing home about $1000 or so every two weeks. EMT's here get an extra $3 or so per hour and MICT's get about an extra $6 per hour.
Thanks for the reply !

Old 08-23-2009, 02:27 AM

121 posts, read 524,383 times
hey dade, did you see the salaries firefighters make in HI? Are you surprised? Very low isn't it? Here in the San Jose area firefighters start at around $75,000. Factor in the difference in cost of living of about 25% higher in the islands and you come up with $100,000 that would have to be earned to be at par with San Jose area salaries. Being an ex-HPD officer I can tell you that most entry-level officers, be police or fire, live with parents or other family in order to make it. Why don't you try a high-paying department on the mainland (and save local jobs for local people) and just come as a tourist once a year? The difference you would make could pay for a very good up-scale vacation. Hell, maybe enough to stay at the Halekulani!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,078 times
heydade posted his message sixteen months ago. It's probably not relevant any more.

Bob

Old 08-29-2009, 05:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLo View Post
hey dade, did you see the salaries firefighters make in HI? Are you surprised? Very low isn't it? Here in the San Jose area firefighters start at around $75,000. Factor in the difference in cost of living of about 25% higher in the islands and you come up with $100,000 that would have to be earned to be at par with San Jose area salaries. Being an ex-HPD officer I can tell you that most entry-level officers, be police or fire, live with parents or other family in order to make it. Why don't you try a high-paying department on the mainland (and save local jobs for local people) and just come as a tourist once a year? The difference you would make could pay for a very good up-scale vacation. Hell, maybe enough to stay at the Halekulani!

I wonder what the people In San Jose think of outsiders coming and taking their jobs.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLo View Post
I actually make a very nice salary....South Florida is similar to San Jose in public safety salaries. But money is not everything...quality of life is.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 11,945 times
hey i was wondering, does anyone know a state that doesnt require a NREMT, because i have my FF 1 and 2. But not my NREMT.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,698 times
Why do locals always feel entitled? There is a competitive test that should select the most qualified individual. I want the person who can do the job best to work for the fire dept that responds to my house. I don't care where they are from as long as they handle my emergency with skill, knowledge, and professionalism. The last thing I want is a lazy local with an entitlement issue who has done little to better themselves.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS on this site. Reporting of threads to admin can be done by going to the triangle icon at the upper right of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai