Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 86,447 times

Advertisements

Hi-We are considering moving to Kauai and have found several government job postings in my husband's field -- that have been posted and not filled for almost 6 months now (we've been keeping our eye on them).

What is the possibility of the government hiring someone from mainland? I heard it's slim...but since the job has been open for awhile now? Am I missing something? My husband specifically wonders:

1) Does the Government typically "discriminate" against mainlanders by "favoring" locals? (no offense intended --it seems obvious they would -- just wondering!!)

2) Why do you think a position might have been open for such a "long" period of time?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,041,712 times
If you are talking about a Federal job there is less of the "hire a local" mentality, especially at the Navy base on Kauai. If you're taking about a county or state job then you can forget it.

I would apply for the position and if you get hired great, otherwise nothing lost.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,902,279 times
Default It Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisKrisKris View Post
Hi-We are considering moving to Kauai and have found several government job postings in my husband's field -- that have been posted and not filled for almost 6 months now (we've been keeping our eye on them).

What is the possibility of the government hiring someone from mainland? I heard it's slim...but since the job has been open for awhile now? Am I missing something? My husband specifically wonders:

1) Does the Government typically "discriminate" against mainlanders by "favoring" locals? (no offense intended --it seems obvious they would -- just wondering!!)

2) Why do you think a position might have been open for such a "long" period of time?

Thanks!!
I think "discriminate" is a fairly strong word to use for instances when someone who is settled in a locality is equally qualified with someone who lives elsewhere. A lot of factors go into hiring decisions, and sometimes the need or preference to fill a position with someone who will likely have a shorter learning curve geographically/practically/culturally/technically/etc. is better for the organization than taking a risk on someone who faces a complicated move, resettlement, and a 50/50 chance of moving in a fairly short period of time.

Federal job classification and qualification standards are a matter of public record, and hiring decisions must withstand legal challenges for any type of discrimination. If a candidate from another region is clearly better qualified than local applicants, that would seem to be grounds for a legal challenge. In a pool of equally-qualified applicants, OPM still has criteria for making selections, including hiring preferences for veterans and handicaps, credit for advanced degrees, interview results, etc.

You can't assume that if you don't get an offer, it's because you don't live here. You'd have to know who else was in the applicant pool, who got the offer, and why.

A job's being posted as vacant does not mean it will be filled. Keeping a position open is a common way to reallocate budgeted funds and a strategy for keeping an "ideal" number of staff positions in any one office. Positions that are not advertised can be eliminated in subsequent budgets, so posting a job with no intention of filling it is a fairly common staffing maneuver.

Best of luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 86,447 times
thx for the comments - just a quick addition - we are trying to determine whether it is worth applying - only because there is a LOT of time involved in transferring professional licenses and filling out forms....thx again.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,780,143 times
This was a long time ago- 1983?- but I was hired by the Federal government (Navy) direct from California. If your skills match what they're looking for,it can happen. HOWEVER,I've noticed that they're not as generous with moving allowances as they used to be. Localism is not a factor in hiring but you'll be working with mostly local people. Go ahead and apply-it could take a while but worth it in the end.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
You could tell them that you would transfer your license upon getting the job - that would save the transfer fees. For some licenses, such as contractors, they don't transfer, so you may want to make sure his license is the type which can be transferred.

More than likely if the job has been open for six months or more they may not be filling the jobs listed. Can you call someone and ask if the jobs are being filled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai