Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 AM
chs

31 posts, read 122,767 times

Advertisements

It is much more local style, if you are single no need to buy industrial quantities as huge as costco, no membership fee. (super nice folk - literally, a fella drove something home for me after he got off work b/c I did not have a truck and could not fit it in my car) Useful to be Costco member if you miss mainland things, have family >3 people, first year when you are buying furniture, electronics, big stuff (but mainland style, no one helps you load stuff, bring a friend). After that, let Costco membership lapse unless you really think you will save $50 worth. Gas is slightly cheaper there but Shell station in Wailua just before the beach and in Hanamaulu (on Thurs) are just about as cheap and not as far (much more convenient).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
Sometimes you can find things at CostULess that are not at Costco, and vice versa. No charge to shop at CostULess, so what the heck, check it out. I agree, different attitude, less glitz, sometimes I'm just not in the mood to deal with Costco.

Another idea - check out the new YMCA, if you like to swim in a pool and can afford it (it's kind of expensive, $30/mo. for a single, $75 for a family, I think it's $60 for single parent & kid, and $45/mo. for seniors). It's down near Puhi. The pool is lovely, huge, always has lanes for lap swimming, and it also has a workout room and spa. I know there are also some public pools elsewhere, there is one in Kapaa I know, which may be cheaper or free. I don't know if we'll be able to afford it in the long term, but for now, it's great, I'm finally getting in shape again (I love to swim laps).

Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,342 times
Hi Everyone, my name is Laura
I am making my 20 year long dream of living in Hawaii a reality. In November I am flying to Kauai to pinpoint what part of the island I want to be in and meet with a realtor. I am sooooooo excited. I am thinking of Kapaa and I can't wait to see it. I am 39 years old, married, and have two children 22 months and 10 months.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
Laura,

Congrats on realizing a dream! I would love to hear about things went for you with your move and two little ones. Kaua'i is a dream of mine as well, but we've put it on the back burner. We have a 4 year old and a 20 month old and I figured it would be too difficult a transition for them. Have you looked into schools?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
Our only problem is we are getting eaten alive by the bugs and have bites all over. Using OFF bug spray but does not seem to help. Talking to some locals they say it takes about 4-6 months and you build up an immunity to them and wont feel it anymore or get the reaction. I hope so and it is a small price to pay for paradise.
Try Quantum Buzz Away. It is non toxic and works like a charm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai