Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 AM

454 posts, read 1,408,580 times

Advertisements

Can anyone think of the places we should DEFINITELY see while in Kauai 2 weeks from now (for a week)?

Bonus if the place you recommend is not a very touristy place but is amazing nonetheless! (ie. a place locals know about)

here are the usual suspects.....Any thoughts?

Wailua Falls
The Kalalau Trail
Hanakapiai Falls
Opaekaa Falls
Tunnels Beach
Kalalau Lookout
Ke’e Beach
Kilauea Lighthouse
Hanalei
Queens Bath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,039,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
Can anyone think of the places we should DEFINITELY see while in Kauai 2 weeks from now (for a week)?

Bonus if the place you recommend is not a very touristy place but is amazing nonetheless! (ie. a place locals know about)

here are the usual suspects.....Any thoughts?

Wailua Falls
The Kalalau Trail
Hanakapiai Falls
Opaekaa Falls
Tunnels Beach
Kalalau Lookout
Ke’e Beach
Kilauea Lighthouse
Hanalei
Queens Bath
Waimea canyon look out (at end of road, above lodge area) first thing in the AM (gets socked in by 9:00) Other look outs cool too.

Salt Pond Beach Park at sunset, good picture taking

At the Koloa boat landing to the right is a small stream that is loaded with sea turtles basking.

Beach in font of Lawi Beach resort is great for snorkling and there a lot of fish that will come right up to you. Normally not rough.

If you are into hiking the local chapter of the Sierra Club has great hikes and they welcome visitors: Welcome to the Kaua'i Group Sierra Club! :: Kauai Group

If you are active, reserve or retired military having something to eat and drink and watching the sunset over Niihau at the club on base is amazing.

As I think of other unusual things I'll post them

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,462,209 times
Please be cautious if you visit Queen's Bath. There is a pretty big northwest swell today that would really make Queen's Bath a dangerous place to visit. You can definitely hike down to see it, but please use common sense if you are thinking of entering the water.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM

227 posts, read 919,991 times
This time of year don't even think about going to Queens bath. Last year there was a number of fatalities and we don't need another.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM

155 posts, read 516,739 times
When I went to Kauai I really wanted to see the Coco Palms Hotel (I love Elvis!)

Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohikea View Post
When I went to Kauai I really wanted to see the Coco Palms Hotel (I love Elvis!)
The Coco Palms hotel sits in disrepair and has since the hurricane came through in 1992. Believe me you don't want to see it.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
The Coco Palms hotel sits in disrepair and has since the hurricane came through in 1992. Believe me you don't want to see it.
I spent my honeymoon at the Coco Palms. My heart breaks every time I think or hear about it.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM

292 posts, read 949,686 times
I drove by there again a few weeks ago. It makes me so sad to see it in such ruins.. it is such a big piece of property too. I heard that someone tried to renovate it and was stopped due to an issue with a Hawaiian burial ground? Don't know if that is true or not..

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
I drove by there again a few weeks ago. It makes me so sad to see it in such ruins.. it is such a big piece of property too. I heard that someone tried to renovate it and was stopped due to an issue with a Hawaiian burial ground? Don't know if that is true or not..
It's an issue with finances; recently the county council granted the development company that owns the property an additional 3 year extention to start work. But then again this has been going on since 1992; the hotel should have been torn down years ago. Such an eye sore for an island that depends on tourism.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
Hate to have to point it out, but almost every spot on every island is a Hawaiian burial ground... because they sacrificed people left and right until about 120 years ago and threw the bones everywhere.

Flame away, but it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai