Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 83,593 times

Advertisements

Aloha! I am trying to come up with a list of activities that locals in Kauai do for fun or in their spare time. Here's what I've got so far:

- beach
- fishing
- surfing
- gardening
- house parties
- visit with friends/family

What else? Do most people exercise? If so what kind? What about hiking? Yoga?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blintz View Post
Aloha! I am trying to come up with a list of activities that locals in Kauai do for fun or in their spare time. Here's what I've got so far:

- beach
- fishing
- surfing
- gardening
- house parties
- visit with friends/family

What else? Do most people exercise? If so what kind? What about hiking? Yoga?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
What are your reasons for coming up with this list?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Just curious! I've been reading the threads for a while and thinking of making the move there one day. Trying to do my research and learn everything I can about the island. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 PM

227 posts, read 918,756 times
Most people that live here are really into surfing especially on the North side of the Island. Paddling is huge either as teams in canoes or on stand up boards. Sports in general is a big activity especially soccer at night the fields are usually lite up and there are pick up games. I think you can only do so many hikes to see the same thing over and over again. But the beach never gets old.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Just curious! I've been reading the threads for a while and thinking of making the move there one day. Trying to do my research and learn everything I can about the island. Thanks!
FYI, you, I or any Haole will never be a local; it's like comparing apples and oranges. Now if you want to know what people in general who live on Kauai do for recreation then that's a different story.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
FYI, you, I or any Haole will never be a local; it's like comparing apples and oranges. Now if you want to know what people in general who live on Kauai do for recreation then that's a different story.
Yeah I know that, apologies if I made it seem like I thought I would automatically be a local just because I moved there.

Good point though, I would love to know what people in general do for recreation in Kauai also, so please do tell. "people in general"..."locals"...I want to know it all

Thanks for the replies so far!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Quote:
I would love to know what people in general do for recreation in Kauai
Here's a bunch of things to see and do on the North Shore:

Princeville Information (http://www.visitprinceville.info/Princeville_Information.html - broken link)

Hiking is pretty big on Kauai. Here's a guide:

Hiking Kauai - adventure trail guide

Hank

Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
Locals like to skin dive and hunt. Golfing is also popular as well as going to Rob's.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
Most locals do not exercise. Some surfers may work out/lift to improve their surfing skills, but for the most part locals work and drink with friends and family. Church is also pretty important in many peoples' lives.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:01 PM

16 posts, read 66,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Most locals do not exercise. Some surfers may work out/lift to improve their surfing skills, but for the most part locals work and drink with friends and family. Church is also pretty important in many peoples' lives.
Lol how can you say most locals dont exercise? lol man i know choke people that work out and stay healthy, but you are correct in sayin that we drink cause if you work hard you have to party hard to, its the balance of life for some of us, but we do like to do water activities, ANY water activity as long as it has something to do with the ocean, i mean we are surrounded by it and you can pretty much see it from anywhere on the island, theres hiking and theres literally thousands of trails on every island not just Kauai, if your into Mountain biking theres a few trails depending on what kind of MTB your into, theres more things to do here then can be mentioned, believe me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai