Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM

18 posts, read 83,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I've got some questions about swimming in Kauai in winter.

I understand it is too unsafe to swim on the north shore in winter. What are the specific months when it is unsafe? Late Nov - late Feb? I'm guessing, please let me know.

Also, what is the northernmost point on the east shore where it is safe to swim in winter? Anahola? Kealia? Again, completely guessing, please set me straight...

Basically there is a good chance I will spend next winter in Kauai for a sort of extended vacation, and I want to stay as close to the north shore as possible while still being really close to a swimmable beach. I think the north shore is the most beautiful so I want to be close by.

PS I'm assuming you can still go to north shore beaches in winter and just stay on the sand with a book or whatnot, right? I absolutely love the north shore beaches and would like to be able to do this sometimes at Ke'e Beach, Hanalei Bay, and more. I just want to make sure they aren't covered in water or something!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM

227 posts, read 918,040 times
You can swim on the North Shore during the winter and there are plenty of safe places, Anini, Kalihiwai, etc... It is not safe to go down to places like Queens bath and walk along the lave rocks. Just use your common sense and know what your ability is as a swimmer before you try body surfing 15 foot faces.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,301 times
If the water is too rough on the North Shore you can always head to Poipu or even Salt Pond over by Hanapepe.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 16,873 times
Aloha awakea!

The North Shore here experiences rough ocean and high surf conditions from approximately mid-November until sometime in April - this varies every year by few weeks - but in general that is the rule as I understand it.

I live on the South Shore of the island and Po'ipu Beach Park is generally (always check daily ocean conditions!) swimmable during the winter - as another posted mentioned, if you drive farther West to Hanapepe, the Salt Pond County Park is one of the best beach parks on the island IMO - it usually gets about as much local folks as visitors and there is a large swimming area protected from the surf by a rock barrier.

It also has some tidal areas that are good for keiki in the right conditions.

Always swim at a lifeguarded beach - check with the lifeguard before going in - and while it has been said a million times - it is true "when in doubt...don't go out" --- it definitely could save your life.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 83,582 times
Thanks all! This is great info, very helpful.

Is pretty much the whole east shore safe and calm during winter? If so, starting from what point?

Conditions on the south shore, Po'ipu, etc sound great, but I'd like to be closer to calm seas than that.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blintz View Post
Thanks all! This is great info, very helpful.

Is pretty much the whole east shore safe and calm during winter? If so, starting from what point?

Conditions on the south shore, Po'ipu, etc sound great, but I'd like to be closer to calm seas than that.
No the east shore is not safe and calm during the winter. The ocean changes often and with the seasons. At times here on Kauai we have 4-5 people a week die in the oceans.

As someone else mentioned, swim where there is a lifeguard after asking him about the conditions.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 18,193 times
Default from north shore of oahu to Kauai

Hi,
I want to move there now that I've been on this North Shore for a couple of years. I want to go more rural. I love it here but hear that Kauai might just be my cup of tea. I am a writer and a photographer and 50 and retired. Can you help me out here with any info on where to located. I'd like to feel safe but I also would like a private location. I moved here from NYC, ten years there, but I grew up in rural Alabama.
Mahalo,
Turnsit

Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 PM

227 posts, read 918,040 times
3 more people dies this week swimming in places they should not. 2 on the North at Secrets which is very dangerous and 1 in the South. Bringing the total this year to 11. Be safe and swim near a lifeguard tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai