Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM

52 posts, read 139,042 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My husband may have a job opportunity on Kauai and unfortunately my line of work doesn't seem to be in high demand on the island which makes me think starting my own business would be the best thing to do.

What needs do people on Kauai have that are not being met by businesses that are already there? What would you like to see open up in your area?

Just trying to get a "feel."

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,048,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAndrea View Post
Hi Everyone! My husband may have a job opportunity on Kauai and unfortunately my line of work doesn't seem to be in high demand on the island which makes me think starting my own business would be the best thing to do.

What needs do people on Kauai have that are not being met by businesses that are already there? What would you like to see open up in your area?

Just trying to get a "feel."

Mahalo!
Living in Kauai I can tell you that it would be a very difficult time to start any business on island and be successful. As I am sure you know Kauai is rather rural and that complicates things for you. The only area that I have ever seen a need that wasn't totally filled was in the various repair fields. When ever I need a plumber, electrician, appliance repair person or other type of come to your home repairer I had to beg. They are so busy that they won't even call you back.

People trying to make a buck on their own here runs the gambit from people doing crafts to selling stuff along side the road. Most are treading water waiting for the tourists and money to come back.

Sorry if none of these fit your bill but of course you aren't the first with this idea and times are tough.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM

432 posts, read 1,206,676 times
I always thought a business that might make money in Hilo was a franchise quick oil change place.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,048,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
I always thought a business that might make money in Hilo was a franchise quick oil change place.
Quite possible but of course the overhead expenses would be a bummer. I have seen someone here on Kauai do a good business in the in house carpet cleaning market; that might also work on the BI.

Most of the plumbers, electricians, appliance repair people and such do not have a business front and work from home. Of course this is the way to go if possible.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else have any opinions?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Bumpity bump bump!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:49 PM

18,477 posts, read 19,125,278 times
the problem with the question "what kind of business does the island (any of the islands) need", is that we pretty much have everything already. the businesses that are successful is being done already and the y have a foothold already. I sat on the beach and watched the parasailing franchise take out 2 groups of 4 to 6 people out in the raft to their boat. they did this every 1/2 an hour. times two, as they had 2 boats at 75 bucks a crack. great business. the same company is on kauai and has been at this for decades. same thing with snorkle rentals, surf lessons and shave ice stands and tour group operators. the business that are home based, people making crafts to sell to the tourists, being an artist all that stuff is hand to mouth pretty much unless you are well known. doctors, lawyers accountants we have them. resturants lunch wagons all that stuff. think about what you would start at home and would it be successful. it is the same here other than we have the addes tourist stuff. doing a business if hard anywhere. unless you have 500 thousand and another 500 to keep it going you would be hard pressed. the days of having 30 to 75 thousand and opening up a little shop that will pay your bills are long gone.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM

155 posts, read 546,153 times
Dear Sam,
My husband got a job offer on Maui in November 2008. Before he accepted it, he had time to negotiate his salary. I did alot of checking. It was very clear to me that I would not be able to get a job on Maui here. I told him, "We will be living off of your salary. Do not expect me to get any type of income." He was offerred X dollars, and we made the decision, "move or not move" based on that dollar figure.

My suggestion is actually to NOT start your own business for the first six months. You could pour hundreds or thousands of dollars into it, and not make a profit. That's $$ wasted. The best thing to do MIGHT be to just relax. Take care of the house. Do volunteer work. Take it easy for awhile

Your second job, figure out how to not spend $$. (If you're not working, do you really need a car?)

Third, look at your list of things you've been meaning to do, but never had time. For most women, it's... get to the gym more, eat better, drop those few extra pounds. Isn't there an inexpensive hobby you've always wanted to learn, but never had time? (For me it was meditate, learn to play guitar, learn Adobe photoshop, finally finish that scrapbooking project I started years ago.) Maybe this is a good time to change careers, or go back to school.

Realistically, Kauai is gonna do what it wants to do. You can either fight it, or roll with it. You can try to force the island to give you a job, try to force a small business to work on the island, or just relax. If you don't get a job, then you don't get a job. You can fight it, or learn to be happy in spite of it.

All the nonprofits are having their budgets cut. I'm sure there is at least one that can use your help. -- Lisa ;-)

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-15-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,450,748 times
This forum is strictly moderated. Posts were deleted as orphaned because the content was removed.
In the future please DM me with concerns and do not post them in the forum.
Thanks,
7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai