Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times

Advertisements

dread-surfer29:

Jackson (Ky) is the county seat of Breathitt County, located in eastern Kentucky. Do you see a resemblance between your lack of knowledge of Jackson's location and your Jackson acquaintance's llimited knowledge of Egypt and Africa? I could comment about pots and kettles here...

Your post implies a dislike for "normal" appearance: what's with that? Are you referring to "normal" appearance as opposed to an "abnormal" look due to accidental injury, a birth defect, or something similar, or do you refer to "normal" looks as in dressing and grooming oneself conventionally, as opposed to a counter-(mainstream) cultural look of some kind?

Surely the latter is a matter of choice, rather than something forced upon one by happenstance...and is generally something which can be (perhaps temporarily) "altered when it alteration finds", as in following the dress code of one's potential employer.

Just sayin'...

Good luck in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 26,523 times
I just answered his question with "my" reasons and I wont change "my" answer from what "I" have seen here the past few years. No I didn't know where Jackson was I am not from here, I just find it strange that a teen thinks Egypt is sand and Africa has no cities. By normal I mean in my culture long hair and laid back work places are common, here not so much it is not the norm, like chill out, its conservative here, any of my teachers at NKU that I have had in class tell me all the time to make it here I need to look more "normal" short hair etc if you like argue with them not me. Lislie Kyle, she is the last person I had the conversation with, shes also the assistant dean her number is easy to find. From what I understand this wasn't a real positive question to start so don't expect positive answers.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread_surfer29 View Post
Question 3: Why do you want to move away from Kentucky? Weather sucks lol, in general if you don't look "normal" you can't find jobs and if you have a job you have to keep the "normal" look. Lot of places don't like the idea of change. An the most, I was talking to a kid who was from a place called "Jackson, KY" at a Reds game, he thought Egypt was nothing but sand, Africa just tribes nothing else, why do I want my kid in that education system, even though idk where Jackson really is.
Hmm, I assume you're the type that's covered in tattoo's and piercing in everything you can put a ring in??? What on earth is wrong with looking "normal"?? LOL

If you look like a freak, don't be surprised if you get treated different.....just saying. It's all about wanting attention isn't it?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Hmmm - you seem defensive, dread. If your instructors and other adults (such as those on this site) all concur that having long hair is likely to be a detriment to your being taken seriously in the job market, then are you perhaps blaming the messenger(s)?

Not saying that it's right to discriminate vs long-haired job applicants; not at all...but it's certainly the right of the employer to hire those whose appearance is consistent with the "image" of the workplace, particularly if the workplace is one which the public frequent or if employees deal with the public elsewhere. This is not a specificly Kentucky issue but something you will encounter just about everywhere.

You're free to dress as you like on your own time - generally; some companies strongly encourage employees to remember they represent their workplace during their time off and dress conservatively even when they are informally dressed and on their own time - but while you're working, your employer can request - and require - you to maintain an appearance consistent with professionalism. Depending on the job, that may range from a suit and tie to coveralls and a hard-hat. Nonetheless, it's something you'll continue to encounter. It may well be that you'll find a congenial employer whose taste in grooming and dress is the same as yours, and for your sake, I hope this will occur.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 26,523 times
@London, no I have no tattoos or piercings I do have longish hair though sort of like Keith Urban lol. Nothing is wrong with normal, it's just my view is there is nothing wrong with being "not" normal, if you have the grades and personality. @Craig thats what I was implying most places here do descriminate if you don't look the standard (not talking about dress code) and I was told this from the start by my college, I by all means see nothing wrong with my hair, I have a pix on my profile, and when thats all I have been told here by College and a few HR's at job fairs because this is a conservative town why would I say anything diffrent? I mean right now I am a SR at NKU and I am a manager at a hotel here in Florence so im not complaining I am just saying thats what has been told to me over and over to get short hair, I don't agree.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hmm, I assume you're the type that's covered in tattoo's and piercing in everything you can put a ring in??? What on earth is wrong with looking "normal"?? LOL

If you look like a freak, don't be surprised if you get treated different.....just saying. It's all about wanting attention isn't it?
Way to pre-judge. You really are from Southeastern Kentucky. Guess he needs holy hell fire, right?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM

EE: Talk about pre-judging - re-read your last post.

Stereotypes seldom fit anyone comfortably.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread_surfer29 View Post
@London, no I have no tattoos or piercings I do have longish hair though sort of like Keith Urban lol. Nothing is wrong with normal, it's just my view is there is nothing wrong with being "not" normal, if you have the grades and personality. @Craig thats what I was implying most places here do descriminate if you don't look the standard (not talking about dress code) and I was told this from the start by my college, I by all means see nothing wrong with my hair, I have a pix on my profile, and when thats all I have been told here by College and a few HR's at job fairs because this is a conservative town why would I say anything diffrent? I mean right now I am a SR at NKU and I am a manager at a hotel here in Florence so im not complaining I am just saying thats what has been told to me over and over to get short hair, I don't agree.
Louisville is much more non-conformist than Cincinnati. Most people could care less about long hair, piercings, or tatoos in Louisville as it is the norm.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 AM

283 posts, read 370,194 times
Default Want to Stay?

Question 1: Where in Kentucky do you live presently?
Bowling Green

Question 2: Where do you want to move to, and why?
Cleveland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cincy, St. Louis, Denver, maybe Boston.
Whenever I come back from one of these towns, I feel the "slow" creeping in- physically, mentally, emotionally, creatively, spiritually.

Question 3: Why do you want to move away from Kentucky?
The society has a closed feeling- my wife, whom I dearly love, shocked me one night by stating that the founders of the Ku Klux Klan "were just trying to protect the people from Northerners", and that marrying a black man would be like "marrying an animal" (she's white). The area seems ruled still by the Great Revival of 1800 and looks into itself to an extent that is, well, creepy. I've lived in the Southeast for 20 years and have found the people to be the rudest in the U.S. The vaunted "Southern Hospitality" is a cover for the most vicious back-stabbing and ruthlessness I have ever witnessed. Besides the fact that the arts scene is non-existent (where is a decent, let alone world-class, museum, opera, ballet, symphony or university), the people seem so hang-dog depressed. I know, I've been told that comes from the defeat during the Civil War, which comes to my point exactly. the Civil War was concluded in 1865. The Southern heritage wasn't all that great to begin with. Keeping the "Myth of Southern Perfection" is perhaps non-productive. Oh, yeah, and the heat drives you indoors.

Question 4: What will you miss most about Kentucky?
I don't know. I haven't left yet.

Question 5: Could you see yourself returning to Kentucky in the future, and for what reason(s)?
Not really. Many people here are of the opinion that Kentucky is the most wonderful place on Earth. Getting out and seeing the rest of the planet often doesn't seem to rate high on their list of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky