Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times

Advertisements

Those of you that have been long time Kentucky C-Ders know my opinions on various things related to the Commonwealth. I won't pontificate about those again.

This caught my attention as I have seen similar ideas on other states' forums (i.e.: Ohio, Minnesota and I believe New Jersey).

For those of you who want to or are in the process of leaving Kentucky:

Question 1: Where in Kentucky do you live presently?

Question 2: Where do you want to move to, and why?

Question 3: Why do you want to move away from Kentucky?

Question 4: What will you miss most about Kentucky?

Question 5: Could you see yourself returning to Kentucky in the future, and for what reason(s)?

For those who have already left Kentucky:

Question 1: Where did you live in Kentucky?

Question 2: Where did you move to, and why?

Question 3: What do you miss most about Kentucky?

Question 4: What do you miss the least about Kentucky?

Question 5: Could you see yourself returning to Kentucky in the future, and for what reason(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

298 posts, read 596,210 times
Wow....I can't wait for this....if anyone takes the time to fill it out...I sure wouldn't.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Wow....I can't wait for this....if anyone takes the time to fill it out...I sure wouldn't.
Yeah, but I don't think you plan on leaving. That's the difference.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Yeah, but I don't think you plan on leaving. That's the difference.
Well...your right I reckin....I ain't been out of this holler in yers and I shore ainta goin now.

But, I may stay up all night in anticipation of all the positive comments about "My Old Kentucky Home".

Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Pretty interesting post, jcm, er, I mean EclecticEars. I'm surprised you're not in Texas yet.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Those of you that have been long time Kentucky C-Ders know my opinions on various things related to the Commonwealth. I won't pontificate about those again.

This caught my attention as I have seen similar ideas on other states' forums (i.e.: Ohio, Minnesota and I believe New Jersey).

Let me just say, I'm more towards staying and my leaving depends on jobs available once I graduate at the end of the year in Louisville. My mother is the one who is more likely to leave.

1. Live in the Ft. Knox area. Commute 45 minutes to Louisville every day.

2. This is under review for me. Cities under consideration for me are Houston or Dallas (strong economy), Charlotte (location of my current company's headquarters and family closeby), Richmond, VA (proximity to both my hometowns in Virginia). My mother wants to move back to the Hampton Roads area of VA.

3. If I left Kentucky, it would be mostly because of job opportunities. Also, I would like an area that is more racially diverse and has better weather. Mom just wants to go back to Hampton Roads.

4. I would say living in a city the size of Louisville with the lack of big city frustrations such as bad traffic and high housing costs. Also I've found Kentucky folks to be down to earth.

5. I would return (or stay put) if there were quality jobs in Louisville. I just love Louisville.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 12,141 times
i lived in kentucky for 14 years!. had to leave didnt want to though.. i love the country.!. i lived down in the hollers!. which was amazing!. im moving back soon though!. i cant wait!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I've lived in Kentucky all 55 years I've been alive. Why move? I haven't found any reason I would ever want to. I know some people don't like living in Kentucky and keep harping on it. But I'm here for the long haul.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

1. Northern Kentucky

2. California (especially SoCal) and Texas are top choices, followed by Washington state and North Carolina. Especially in the case of California, not only is much of the state breathtakingly beautiful, the job opportunities, career advancement and caliber of higher education out there are all great, even during these rough economic times.

For professional/job market (in the field) reasons, I'm willing to seriously consider Oklahoma, Virginia, Metro Detroit, Oregon, and Minnesota.

3. Read my dozens of previous posts...lol. Just tired of the state's culture and backward everything, really.

4. Family, Ale-8-1, views of Cincinnati skyline, beautiful drives around central Kentucky on a clear spring day

5. Only for a professional opportunity too good to pass up or to take care of very ailing parents (hopefully they live long, healthy lives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Let me just say, I'm more towards staying and my leaving depends on jobs available once I graduate at the end of the year in Louisville. My mother is the one who is more likely to leave.

1. Live in the Ft. Knox area. Commute 45 minutes to Louisville every day.

2. This is under review for me. Cities under consideration for me are Houston or Dallas (strong economy), Charlotte (location of my current company's headquarters and family closeby), Richmond, VA (proximity to both my hometowns in Virginia). My mother wants to move back to the Hampton Roads area of VA.

3. If I left Kentucky, it would be mostly because of job opportunities. Also, I would like an area that is more racially diverse and has better weather. Mom just wants to go back to Hampton Roads.

4. I would say living in a city the size of Louisville with the lack of big city frustrations such as bad traffic and high housing costs. Also I've found Kentucky folks to be down to earth.

5. I would return (or stay put) if there were quality jobs in Louisville. I just love Louisville.
Alanboy, I'm glad you're liking Louisville. Congratulations on your new job! I know you tried and clamored for a long time to get out of Northern Virginia and finally succeeded.

I'll admit, I would live in NoVA but it would have to be for a da*n good job opportunity. I could probably live in, say, Leesburg or Warrenton pretty easily but would have to really weigh the pros and cons of any area inside the Beltway or otherwise close to Dulles.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM

Kinda comical reading some post...people spend half their young life looking for the perfect job making BIG money and perfect location to live in with all the "to die for" ammenities like starbucks...good views...good night life...and the list goes on. I just wonder how many find the perfection they are looking for? I also wonder how long it takes for some to figure out that it (perfection)really don't exist. That's the good part of being young I guess...if you live long enough you'll get grow up. I just hope they learn by their mistakes...as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky