Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
My comments are specifically about the scenery, and nothing else, but you need to get out more, brother.
The next time the wife and myself drive the Pacific Coast Highway from L.A. to the Washington border, you should tag along and maybe then you'll understand California's appeal (don't get me started on Oregon, it's beauty would knock your socks off). Have you ever been to one of the Redwood Forests? Malibu? Big Sur? Not seen pictures, but been there? Your jaw would need to be reset. Many Kentuckians refer to the area near London as mountainous, but The Sierras beg to differ: THOSE are mountains. And I'm also partial to the desert, having spent two years in Victorville, CA while in the Air Force. The simplistic, barren beauty of the Mojave is hard to describe. On our drives through Death Valley I try to imagine the plight of those crossing to the coast: little water, scalding hot in summer, bitter cold in winter, and no surety of what they would find on the other side, but I digress. I learned to snowboard, at the tender age of 40, in Big Bear, which is a couple of hours drive from the Pacific. Whatever you want, California has it. One can snowboard in the morning, surf in the afternoon, then catch a Dodgers/Angels/Lakers/Padres/Clippers game that night. See a pattern? Kentucky simply can't offer what California can.
I'm sure there are many places one CAN live in California that offer the isolation to which you are accustomed in London, but the difference is, you can't drive far in California before you are forced to change YOUR mindset.
B-I-N-G-O!

And yes, I've been to the Sierras. Seen Bodie, stayed at an old inn above a restaurant, and did the Yosemite thing. Drove from L.A. through the Mojave to get to the Sierras. Breathtaking.

I can honestly see why so many people leave California--high housing costs, high electricity costs, high sales and income taxes, graffiti in many even small communities, high unemployment rate in much of the state, looney liberal politicians, etc. However, when you can live in the Bay Area and see Yosemite, a winery, the Golden Gate Bridge and the SF Opera in a day, you also understand why so many choose to move or remain there. Same applies if you live in L.A. or San Diego and ski, drive to Anza-Borrego (a desert State Park) and take in a sunset in the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
For those who have already left Kentucky:

Question 4: What do you miss the least about Kentucky?
The nastiness that I encountered in Louisville. High auto insurance and registration rates. The snow.Traffic, especially the cut-in-the hill and the Florence/Burlington exit ramp.
I've encountered a lot of nastiness in Louisville and Northern Kentucky (no offense to you), but it was much, much worse in Louisville. Absolutely some of the rudest people collectively I've met anywhere in the United States. Pushing in restaurants, snippy bosses, condescending locals, arrogant churchgoers...the list goes on. Folks from L.A., Seattle and, oh hell, NYC are more personable in my experience.

N. KY is not a place I'm a cheerleader of, either, but the people are just more reserved. I've met a lot of nice folks up here in the two years I've been here, but the general air of the region is, well, just depressed and unhappy. It's a shame, really, considering the arts, culture, and seemingly non-stop festival activity in the area, in addition to the tradition of the Reds, the beauty of the skyline and having some very nice old streetcar suburbs. I've even been part of a small church with really wonderful, kind people. However, I won't miss NKY when I move.

Cut-in-the-hill and Florence-Burlington ramp suck, yes. The Buttermilk Pike ramp can really suck, too, especially coming southbound during rush hour. Thankfully, I live away from all that and my commute to and from work are 8-12 minutes each way on secondary streets.

Another thing I will like about the Bay Area: No freezing temps! Cold and windy at times, sure, but none of this wishy-washy wintry mix crap like we have here. However, I won't like my new car insurance premium at all. Trade off, I suppose.

Glad you like Dallas! While CA is my favorite, TX is a close second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post

Question 1: Where did you live in Kentucky?
First in Northern Kentucky (Cambell county, then Boone County, then Kenton County) and relocated to Louisville in early 2007.

Question 2: Where did you move to, and why?
Moved to Texas in mid-2009, to find lower cost of living, better job market, and to escape the snow and cold winters.

Question 3: What do you miss most about Kentucky?
Gold Star Chili, White Castle,LaRosa's, & O'Charley's. Oh, I also miss friends and family, especially my dear 93-year old grandmother. I also miss how pretty areas of it are, and how people aren't extreme christians.

The nastiness that I encountered in Louisville. High auto insurance and registration rates. The snow.Traffic, especially the cut-in-the hill and the Florence/Burlington exit ramp.

Question 5: Could you see yourself returning to Kentucky in the future, and for what reason(s)?
I would come back to visit only. Now that I have experienced Texas (weather, friendliness, many up and coming places, cheaper cost of living in every way, more job options in my field, etc) I could not afford to return to KY. It is a beautiful place to visit, and I have many fond memories there, even in Louisville. Now my family is moving here to see what it's all about.
I'm happy to hear from a KY to TX success story. Texas seems to be the place to go, especially for a college grad. With any luck, I'll be able to do the move without having to make a stop in DC/Northern VA. I'm more of a Houston guy however due to a dislike of Dallas sports teams (except the Mavs.) Happy to hear the COL is lower, especially car insurance. Also happy to kiss a property tax on cars goodbye, even though KY's was less than VA's.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM

55 posts, read 155,490 times
I've encountered a lot of nastiness in Louisville and Northern Kentucky (no offense to you), but it was much, much worse in Louisville. Absolutely some of the rudest people collectively I've met anywhere in the United States. Pushing in restaurants, snippy bosses, condescending locals, arrogant churchgoers...the list goes on. Folks from L.A., Seattle and, oh hell, NYC are more personable in my experience.

N. KY is not a place I'm a cheerleader of, either, but the people are just more reserved. I've met a lot of nice folks up here in the two years I've been here, but the general air of the region is, well, just depressed and unhappy. It's a shame, really, considering the arts, culture, and seemingly non-stop festival activity in the area, in addition to the tradition of the Reds, the beauty of the skyline and having some very nice old streetcar suburbs. I've even been part of a small church with really wonderful, kind people. However, I won't miss NKY when I move.

Cut-in-the-hill and Florence-Burlington ramp suck, yes. The Buttermilk Pike ramp can really suck, too, especially coming southbound during rush hour. Thankfully, I live away from all that and my commute to and from work are 8-12 minutes each way on secondary streets.

Another thing I will like about the Bay Area: No freezing temps! Cold and windy at times, sure, but none of this wishy-washy wintry mix crap like we have here. However, I won't like my new car insurance premium at all. Trade off, I suppose.

Glad you like Dallas! While CA is my favorite, TX is a close second.[/quote]

Oh I could write a book about Louisville. I've even been spit on at a stoplight there, and was told to go back to Kenton county. I moved there as a devout christian and left as an atheist. I think it is different if you are a native though. Perhaps NKY was more accepting because I was a native there- actually fourth generation native
I forgot about that Buttermilk ramp- what a nightmare!
I went back in April, and it was depressing. So many have lost jobs ad homes, and businesses that had been around forever have folded. Ironically, I saw someone with Texas plates, and we waved and beeped excitedly at eachother.
I've only been to CA once, but plan to go back. Everytime I eat at the new In-N-Out here, it makes me think of California- nice thoughts in 100 degree weather.

Last edited by dallasdee; 06-22-2011 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm happy to hear from a KY to TX success story. Texas seems to be the place to go, especially for a college grad. With any luck, I'll be able to do the move without having to make a stop in DC/Northern VA. I'm more of a Houston guy however due to a dislike of Dallas sports teams (except the Mavs.) Happy to hear the COL is lower, especially car insurance. Also happy to kiss a property tax on cars goodbye, even though KY's was less than VA's.

Plus, we have zero state income tax- forgot to mention that one! Not to mention, tuition is cheaper here. I'm working on my master's and it's half the current credit hour cost of Northern Kentucky University now.

When I heard my new auto insurance premium, I asked them if that was the monthly rate. lol It was for 6 months!

I have family in Houston, and while I like it, the humidity is too much to handle.

Good luck in making the move!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Question 5: Could you see yourself returning to Kentucky in the future, and for what reason(s)?
Lived in Ashland and met my wife there. I am originally from Charlotte yet the wife is from eastern KY. We moved to Charlotte after nearly 4 years together in Ashland. The move was due to employment opportunity and "other factors" (I don't wish to dicuss those "other factors"). I miss KY's cooler less humid Summers and the cheaper cost of real estate. I also miss my old employer (they were a great group of folks to work with). What I miss the least is living in such a small town. I would have enjoyed KY better if I had moved to Louisville instead.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times

Unfortunately, I lived in Luhville.
Moved to the Great State of Texas........I'm a native.
Don't miss anything about KY.
Don't miss the winter, educational opportunities, and snobbishness.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post

Unfortunately, I lived in Luhville.
Moved to the Great State of Texas........I'm a native.
Don't miss anything about KY.
Don't miss the winter, educational opportunities, and snobbishness.
Glad you, as well as dallasdee, were able to move to a REAL state, Texas. (Hey, Kentucky is technically a commonwealth, you know.) In your case, move back. I hope Alanboy395 can join the ranks, too. It's truly a nice state.

Selfishly, it makes me feel better to realize that I'm not the only person that thinks poorly of Louisville. The Louisville lovers and/or natives absolutely can't see that not everyone likes their idyllic haven, a huge reason I left that place. Honestly, though, Kentucky altogether is guilty of that as other posters here have stated.

Austin, Ft. Worth, Houston, and Galveston are great places in Texas. I'm not a fan of San Antonio, though, mostly b/c of the people I've met from there.

I've said it ad nauseum and will say it again: California is my favorite state with Texas a close second. Honestly--and don't throw eggs at me please--I think, aside from the political debacles and systems, California and Texas have many more similarities than differences and have something of a ongoing sibling rivalry. Hey, both were independent republics before becoming states, so there's that common thread.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-25-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
Good luck to you EE! I lived in CA in my youth and found it extremely expensive. Weather was great although tiresome. People were goofy. Parts, not all, are pretty. The Pacific Ocean is cold! I rarely went to the beach in Redondo Beach.......too cold.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Good luck to you EE! I lived in CA in my youth and found it extremely expensive. Weather was great although tiresome. People were goofy. Parts, not all, are pretty. The Pacific Ocean is cold! I rarely went to the beach in Redondo Beach.......too cold.
Another KY to TX story! When did you move there? How do you like Austin compared to Louisville? I'm in Dallas now, but headed to Austin in 7 weeks!
And I agree about California being cold. While I love the temperate climate, I think year-round, it may not get hot enough for me.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM

14 posts, read 26,505 times
For those of you who want to or are in the process of leaving Kentucky:

Question 1: Where in Kentucky do you live presently? Crescent Springs, KY. About 5 miles from Cincinnati. Been in Kentucky for 3 years now.

Question 2: Where do you want to move to, and why? Moving to Tampa, FL with my girlfriend to start my job and her to finish nursing school.

Question 3: Why do you want to move away from Kentucky? Weather sucks lol, in general if you don't look "normal" you can't find jobs and if you have a job you have to keep the "normal" look. Lot of places don't like the idea of change. An the most, I was talking to a kid who was from a place called "Jackson, KY" at a Reds game, he thought Egypt was nothing but sand, Africa just tribes nothing else, why do I want my kid in that education system, even though idk where Jackson really is.

Question 4: What will you miss most about Kentucky? I will miss being close to the Cincinnati Reds.

Question 5: Could you see yourself returning to Kentucky in the future, and for what reason(s)? Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky