Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 AM

12 posts, read 58,312 times

Advertisements

Thanks, that helped alot. I am caucasian too, its my girls that have that natural tan. Thank you for the information, I have been searching and searching for the last few days. Well, when I am not working. What are some of the good hospitals? I work in the ER here in AZ as a nurse extern, and trying to finish nursing school before I head to KY. Thank God KY is one of the compact states, I need to check out how much nursing experience one should have before they do travel nursing, so I can check out the areas while working as a traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your posts, I recieved some good information. I am so excited about moving there. I am anticipating the best possible experience. I am not looking for bad experiences to happen, I just didn't want them exposed to anything. Just KY has that reputation, more so than other states.
As far as churches, I am waiting on God to show me where He wants me to plant my feet at. Just a few days ago, I woke up with something telling me to move to KY. So, here I am now. I am coming with a purpose, what that is I am not sure yet. Who knows God might have me to start a church up.
Again thank you all for your posts, have a blessed night.
Kat

Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 AM

190 posts, read 812,063 times
Default Moving...

Hi Kat! I've kind of laid off this post, just to see what replies you get. So far, I've only seen a few options for areas to live. Now, I get to make a suggestion!

Have you checked out Richmond yet? This is a medium sized town, great schools, great college, affordable prices for renting and buying, and only 24 miles from Lexington. As a substitute teacher, I've pretty much been in every school in the county.
City of Richmond - Official Website
//www.city-data.com/city/Richmond-Kentucky.html
Richmond Kentucky

I have to say that the racism around here is not nearly as bad as rumors would have people believe! From the time my daughter was 4 until last year, her bestest best friend had mixed heritage. her father was black, and mom is what. She would spend weeks at a time with us, and we went EVERYWHERE. The only time I can remember any type of reaction to her was actually in a store in Georgetown. The funny thing was, it was by a Hispanic speaking in Spanish to another Hispanic! Shocked the crap out of them when I told them cerrado o llamaré la inmigración, or roughly in English "shut up or I'll call immigration".

I think Richmond and the surrounding towns will fit perfectly into your specifications for a home. As in other areas, the housing market is down pretty bad, and there are many deals out there right now. Check out this sight;
http;//www.mcbrhomes.com

I've lived in this area all my life, and attend EKU. There is a growing population of diverse cultures, and from what I've observed, everyone is getting along pretty good! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with info on the area.

Welcome home!
~joanna~

Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I guess a community such as Oldham county that is "pretty white" is a telltale sign for racism? I grew up there and not once did I see lynch mobs, KKK rallies, evil hordes of aryans. Actually, you may want to advise this poster to steer clear of the west end of Louisville. I guarantee a multiracial family will run into more problems there than in Oldham County.
I agree, every race and creed would run into more problems in the west end of Louisville. I didn't intend to imply that because Oldham Co is almost all white that it must be racist. I just thought it was a factor to consider for a family of another race or mixed race. If I was black, I don't know that I would want to live in a 95%+ white community just because I wouldn't want to be THE black family in the neighborhood.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 AM

Thank you so much for your post, I have been leaning towards Richmond myself. I have a few more semesters before I finish the nursing program than I am on my way with my two daughters. We are so excited. Its funny when I look at the houses out there I don't even look at the house itself, I look at all the green surrounding it. I would love to drop everything now and just drive on out there, but gotta use some wisdom and finish up with my degree. I won't know a soul out there so I am looking for some churches as well in the area. How exciting about EKU what are you studying. After about a year in KY I am going to return to school to get my masters either in business or nursing haven't decided. I do own a catering business out here in AZ, and I have always dreamed of owning a small take out shop (whew not a restaraunt way to much work for me and the girls), so I might dip into that as well. Again thank you for your posts. You have a favorite particular town that you would reccomend in Richmond? I might be flying out there in a couple of weeks before school starts if not I am coming down for a week in November for my fall break to check out the area. I have a daughter getting ready to enter into high school next year and the other daughter will be in 6th grade.
Kat

Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 AM

I don't mind living in a prodominite caucasian neighborhood. I live in one now. We don't have any problems, but we are a suburb of phoenix in Surprise, Arizona, but in the last few years we have turned to a pretty big city ourselves. We had many California investors turn up the real estate game, in which now cant even afford to buy a house out here. Well I take that back I could do it, but thats all we would do vacations in the home for now on....no more movies, and out to eat dinners.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Hello all

By the way I work from 11:00 am to 11:30 pm Arizona time which is a 3 hour difference from ya'll. So my entry times are pretty crazy I'm sure.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfnaz View Post
Thank you so much for your post, I have been leaning towards Richmond myself. I have a few more semesters before I finish the nursing program than I am on my way with my two daughters. We are so excited. Its funny when I look at the houses out there I don't even look at the house itself, I look at all the green surrounding it. I would love to drop everything now and just drive on out there, but gotta use some wisdom and finish up with my degree. I won't know a soul out there so I am looking for some churches as well in the area. How exciting about EKU what are you studying. After about a year in KY I am going to return to school to get my masters either in business or nursing haven't decided. I do own a catering business out here in AZ, and I have always dreamed of owning a small take out shop (whew not a restaraunt way to much work for me and the girls), so I might dip into that as well. Again thank you for your posts. You have a favorite particular town that you would reccomend in Richmond? I might be flying out there in a couple of weeks before school starts if not I am coming down for a week in November for my fall break to check out the area. I have a daughter getting ready to enter into high school next year and the other daughter will be in 6th grade.
Kat

Actually, for you, I would suggest about anywhere within the city limits. There are only a few areas I would suggest you stay away from, namely the Green's Crossing area, Turpin & Ballard drives, and the Hill Street area. Once you contact a realtor, and tell them you don't want these areas, they can steer you clear. I would suggest looking at houses on Red House Road. Really nice area, nice houses, and almost walking distance to the elementary (Daniel Boone) and high school (Madison Central). Anywhere on Lancaster Road is EXCELLENT with top-of-the-line homes, etc. There are so many great areas to live around here, it really would be hard to choose a specific one. I guess if I had to move out of the country, I would want in the downtown area of Richmond. It's not like it sounds-there's actually more of the historic homes than there are businesses! If you get to come down, you will see what I mean. In fact, I know of a couple for sale, a few blocks over from Main Street that are stunning homes with HUGE yards!

I graduate this December from EKU with a Bachelor's in Social Work, minors in Psychology, Sociology, and Juvenile Criminal Justice. Yeah, lots of minors!

You really need to check out EKU's nursing program, it's excellent! A friend of mine just finished up her R.N., and had a job months before she graduated. Like me, she was an "older learner" and worried that she wouldn't be able to get a job. Hah! She had tons of offers! Apparently we are in a nurse shortage in the area, and the medical field is fighting for you guys!

Finding a good church will not be a problem. We have them in every "flavor". My family and I are actually one of five founding families of our church, which started as a mission but grew till we got a charter as a church! However, our's is in Berea. There are several large churches in the area, including Presbetarian, Baptist, United Methodist, etc. There's one HUGE baptist church out on Red House Road that is so large, it even has an indoor gym and track, and their youth service is unmatched (in my opinion). They are constantly doing things for the kids, keep them busy, and out of trouble.

I'm glad I've helped you! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. When you come, are you bringing your kids? I could suggest some great things for them to do while they are here.

All the best,
~joanna~

Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Oh, I forgot

Madison County Board of REALTORS®
REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale

This will help with your house search.
Welcome home!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfnaz View Post
By the way I work from 11:00 am to 11:30 pm Arizona time which is a 3 hour difference from ya'll. So my entry times are pretty crazy I'm sure.
depends on what part of the state you are talking to, some parts it's 2 some it's 3 and other parts of the year it's 1 and 2 respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky