Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Ok, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 58,319 times
Default Hello all

You all have been great keeping information on here about different places. I still have not made a decision on where I am going. For awhile I was leaning towards Lexington, Richmond area. Now, I am all over the place again. I know I need to just go and visit and see what I like. Louisville sounds very pretty, with alot more tree areas than Lexington. I havent researched Paducah yet. I will have to look.
Been a very busy last two weeks for me. Nursing school starts back in the morning for me, my girls started back to school 2 weeks ago, not to mention work. Today, I was just dwelling on the fact that I wish I could just pack up and move today, and wished I didn't have to wait for nursing school to end. But I have to stay focused and finish school. If anyone prays keep me up in one.
Have a blessed day
Kat

Old 08-17-2007, 06:03 AM

14 posts, read 45,501 times
LOL~
I know what you mean! Busy, busy, busy! Wow! Your kids started early~ mine just started on the 13th. My Mom said that the teachers started on Monday, the 6th, but the kids didn't start until Thursday, the 9th.
My Aunt and Uncle lived in Lexington while my Aunt earned her Denistry degree. They lived there around 5 years and they liked it very well. He was a teacher as well.
From what I recollect, I think that Lexington is more rural that Louisville. Lots of horse farms out there, too.
Louisville IS very pretty. You'll have to learn to say it right! LOL Ever seen the movie "Elizabethtown"? With Orlando Bloom and Kirstin Dunst~ She schools him on the correct pronouciation~ (Lu-A-Vul~ no breaks!)
Bless your heart! I am sure that it is difficult with so many things on your plate! It's wonderful that you are getting your degree in Nursing. That's definately a field that makes it easy for you to find employment no matter where you go.
*shaking my head* I know that's a whole bunch of difficult classes. I know it's bound to be flustering being tied to a place your unfond of, but it won't be long now. That's a blessing! You betcha that I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
I am sure you will find just the right place for you and your girls. At least, because you are still in school, you have more time to research where you'd like to go before you move, that way~ you know what you are getting when you go. :}
Wishing you the best~
Jess

here's a couple of links that might be useful, you might already have them, but just in case....

http://www.paducah-tourism.org/

//www.city-data.com/city/Paducah-Kentucky.html

Paducah Artist Relocation Program

Paducah, Kentucky House for Sale - LONE OAK Neighborhood*—*FSBO West KY Example of house prices in Paducah...

Paducah KY real estate - RE/MAX Advantage One Houses....

RE/MAX Realty Group - Real Estate Professionals in Paducah, KY - Paducah IDX - Real Estate in Western KY areas of McCracken, Ballard, Livingston, Graves, Marshall, Carlisle, Caldwell, Calloway, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Hickman, Lyon, Trigg, Uni

RE/MAX Realty Group - Real Estate Professionals in Paducah, KY - Paducah IDX - Real Estate in Western KY areas of McCracken, Ballard, Livingston, Graves, Marshall, Carlisle, Caldwell, Calloway, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Hickman, Lyon, Trigg, Uni

Kentucky Real Estate * Lexington KY Homes For Sale Lexington

Lexington Real Estate

Lexington Kentucky Real Estate Susie Rodes Realtor. Homes for sale in Lexington KY, Georgetown KY, Versailles KY, Nicholasville KY, Richmond KY, Winchester KY, Paris, Kentucky. (http://www.homesinlex.com/homesearch.html - broken link)

Lexington, KY - Prudential A. S. de Movellan Real Estate

Louisville Real Estate | REMAX Properties East |Realtors|Find a Home in Louisville Kentucky and Southern Indiana Louisville...

Semonin Realtors | Listing Search Results (http://www.semonin.com/Public/Listing/ListingSearchResults.aspx?Search=da501e06-2824-4cd0-b6d3-ee90c615f5ed&SearchType=map&ListingType=1&ListingD istrictTypeID=&FirstLetter=&Sort=1 - broken link)

Homepage | www.kentucky.com

Census Data has lots of great info too! :}

There you go... Hope that give you more information.
Happy hunting & Good luck in your school! I am sure you will succeed.
~Jessica~

Old 08-17-2007, 09:33 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfnaz View Post
Louisville sounds very pretty, with alot more tree areas than Lexington. I havent researched Paducah yet. I will have to look. Kat
Hrmm... I think Lexington is a lot more "green" and trees, than Louisville, but maybe that's just my opinion? Louisville is more "CITY"....

I guess I'll defer this one to the Louisville expert though... STYX??? Whatdya think?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,109 times
Hi, My family and I are moving to London, Ky in a couple of weeks. We are looking forward to green grass, go old Eastern hospatality. We are a multi- racial family, although our 2 older son will not be moving with us, they will come to visit. I'm mostly Native American, husbands family is from Tenn. origanally, and he and my daughter are white. My 2 sons are Afro American.
I hope we can be accepted by the community, and live in peace with new friends, and good old fashion country cooking.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 58,319 times
Thanks Jessica, Prayers go alot further than anything! My girls go to a charter school much better than the public schools. Although going to the open house I have learned so much about the schools today. Our kids are not getting educated in a well rounded way. They are focusing on what they are being tested on (by government) that they lose the rest of the curriculum. They don't have health books like we used to (they say they get health in PE). All they learn about is planets and volcano's every year. There is more science in this world than those two items. No wonder why drop out rates are so high they are bored. Public schools are the same way. It is so sad. What do you do. I would like to hear teachers opinions on this...is what I am saying true? Oh wait, can't forget, they all have laptops at their desk to learn from. With 28 students in their classrooms

Whats next
cyberspace elementry schools (no more teachers?)

Anyway Jessica, thanks for all the websites. You are right I have plenty of time to research. I don't have to move, I just want to. This desert is awfully brown. Out of all 50 states I am picking KY, isn't that weird? Just me and the two girls I am so excited.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 14,118 times
Well, I am of Spanish decent. I have viisited Versailles, Louisville, Lexington, Bowling, and Eastern Kentucky. I have family that have been residing in those parts and then some since the early 70's after leaving New York City. They haven't experienced racisim since then!

My parents sent me to baskeball camp after I graduated from high school at the University of Kentucky. I had a great time when I got there. The team at the time was all White with the exception of one black girl.

And guess what, we had a great time playing and traveling to other parts of Kentucky during our games. I always remember people there saying hello to me with a big smile. They didn't have to if they were that prejudice! but they did and they treated me just like the rest of the natives there!

I had lots of invites to parties, sleep overs, and to Universities for academic studies. If you want something better in your life you have to go out and get it. The race card doesn't apply anymore. Racisim exisits even in the black communities so get a grip on life, go for what you want , and do not let ignorance stop you from achieving it!

If my parents thought like you..I would not be the type of person I am today. I do not let ANY OBSTACLE stand in my way. If I want something out of life I am going to get it!

So my advice to you is this...through the fear out the window, pick up and move! Give your children an opportunity to experience a new way of life and new surroundings. Go with a good attitude and leave the chip on your shoulder somewhere else. Change the stero-type when you move to your new surroundings. Instead of waiting for people to say hello to you..why don't you start by saying hello..I am new in the area..how do you do?

Nothing wrong with being poliet. A little bit of politness equals nice ness in return..not saying to kiss up...that's not the advice here, just a little hello. Believe me your daughters will do fine. As long as they are well mannered, interested in school and extra activities there..they will have a new circle of friends sharing their same interest..

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 PM

21 posts, read 106,284 times
I live in the rural areas of Ky and its on the border of West Virginia and Virginia..I have two black children or bi racial . However you want to call it, but I live in a white community and my kids go to a mostly white school and are accepted very well. It isn't something that I worry myself with..No one bothers them at all. So I would not worry to much about it...We get along very well here and this is where you would expect it to happen..I hope this helps you in your anwsers..

Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 12,431 times
Dont go stirring **** up and they want mess with you very much. Yes the have monuments to Confederate Soldiers and Confederate Dead there and many fly the Rebel Flag but that dosent neccassarily classify them as racist in fact it dosent. Now if your black and say hateful things about the Confederacy or the South look out because you have it comin to you but if your black and dont mess with stuff like most of em do in the NAACP you'll be just fine.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyeller View Post
Dont go stirring **** up and they want mess with you very much. Yes the have monuments to Confederate Soldiers and Confederate Dead there and many fly the Rebel Flag but that dosent neccassarily classify them as racist in fact it dosent. Now if your black and say hateful things about the Confederacy or the South look out because you have it comin to you but if your black and dont mess with stuff like most of em do in the NAACP you'll be just fine.
Please note: the above (im)poster is from Indiana and lives in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky