Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 02:15 AM

4 posts, read 11,734 times

Advertisements

I find this offensive, because I live in Eastern Kentucky..born and raised.. and I have a graduate degree from the University of Kentucky, 4 degrees total. The problem is there are no jobs in Eastern Kentucky.. none that pay anything. Companies/Agencies that come here take advantage of people.. they offer the same job position at a lower pay than they would pay in their other locations.. other state.. take Kellogg's for example. They pay very low compared here compared to what they would pay in Michigan..
When you work as hard as everyone else, and you get paid very low for your position.. it is depressing. and that leads to a lot of the so called "drug culture".. there are a lot of people leaving Eastern Kentucky.. everyday. I think the problem is political :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 AM

39 posts, read 124,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD43 View Post
I find this offensive, because I live in Eastern Kentucky..born and raised.. and I have a graduate degree from the University of Kentucky, 4 degrees total. The problem is there are no jobs in Eastern Kentucky.. none that pay anything. Companies/Agencies that come here take advantage of people.. they offer the same job position at a lower pay than they would pay in their other locations.. other state.. take Kellogg's for example. They pay very low compared here compared to what they would pay in Michigan..
When you work as hard as everyone else, and you get paid very low for your position.. it is depressing. and that leads to a lot of the so called "drug culture".. there are a lot of people leaving Eastern Kentucky.. everyday. I think the problem is political :/
Yes. We need better paying jobs, period. I'm tired of interviewing for jobs that want a person with a master's degree for $20,000.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD43 View Post

No jobs in Eastern/South Eastern Kentucky well, quite frankly, I'm offended too.

I'm not an advocate of unions but, it might be a great place for one if, they (Kellogg's) don't already have one. Which brings me to make another statement, if they have a union...someone isn't doing their job. I thought that was one thing unions were for...equal pay.

I can not advocate ANY kind of drug abuse, be it legal or illegal, for any reason no matter what! No excuses.

I have a close family member that graduated from U of K and, I can assure you he doesn't have a job in Eastern Kentucky either but, I sure wish he did.

You are right, a lot of people are leaving Eastern Kentucky for a job....and, not necessarily a better paying job. And, yes politics is involved as with everything else these days.

I'm very proud of the fact that you have four degrees, I wish I had just one but, that was another time. I'm not trying to be nosy or anything but, would you care to tell us what your degrees are in? All I can say is, hang in there, we're all hoping for a better future.

Last edited by hogsrus; 01-21-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
One thing I didn't mention is that Eastern KY is mostly devoid of flat land that isn't in a frequent flood zone. Go into E Tennesee or SW Virginia and you have the ridge and valley topography with lots of prime land for farming and urban development. E KY, all but the panhandle of WV, and much of W PA is very steep. (Our topography is called a "Deeply dissected plateau"). I'd actually give WV and PA a hands up because they have a lot of miles in major river valleys to build in while the Ohio River just goes through a couple counties of KY. WV even has the Teays Valley, which is an extinct river valley that is GREAT for development. If you see all the new house btw Huntington and Charleston that's the T V.

The parts on the cultural edge of E Kentucky that have flat land (from Richmond to Corbin) there is significant job and population growth. Laurel Co has grown only slightly less than the counties outside Louisville and Lexington, they have a decent health care and warehouse (Wal Mart dist. center) economy.

IMO the rest of Eastern KY would be better several selling it's remoteness and more pristine natural environment. The areas that have allowed too much surface mining will have to wait another million years for the land to heal. But the rest of the area already has a lot of tourism. Really the western areas of E KY (Ashland / Morehead / Natural Bridge / Berea / london / big South fork) aren't doing too bad, it's the coal mining areas of the interior that are really struggling

Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

The parts on the cultural edge of E Kentucky that have flat land (from Richmond to Corbin) there is significant job and population growth. Laurel Co has grown only slightly less than the counties outside Louisville and Lexington, they have a decent health care and warehouse (Wal Mart dist. center) economy.
What you failed to mention about London (because you know nothing about this area) is that "Obamacare" has created 1500 jobs in London between 2 companies - Serco and General Dynamics. These are good paying jobs for the area and has made the economy here even better.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I was in Bell County within the last week. The visible poverty and lack of care for property (buildings that have collapsed, rusted out cars just deteriorating, etc) is both incredibly depressing and frustrating. I was really impressed at how nice the Bluegrass area is between Lexington and Lousville, as well as the town's themselves, but those interior areas are just pitiful.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
What you failed to mention about London (because you know nothing about this area) is that "Obamacare" has created 1500 jobs in London between 2 companies - Serco and General Dynamics. These are good paying jobs for the area and has made the economy here even better.
The implementation of Obamacare and Kentucky's general receptiveness will be a great step in the right direction. This will add vibrancy and boost the overall economy of Kentucky. From an economic standpoint, this will lower the cost of doing business because employers will no longer be the only source of health insurance for many citizens. While Eastern/South Eastern Kentucky has suffered substantially from the lack of good paying jobs and migration of people away from the area, it will get better. I wish my home state of Tennessee had enough sense to accept the healthcare law like Kentucky.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 11,734 times
I have an Associates in Arts with a emphasis in Human Behavior, An Associates in Applied Science/human services, Bachelors degree in Social work from Morehead State University and a Masters Degree in Social Work from the University of Kentucky which I achieved with advanced standing

Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was in Bell County within the last week. The visible poverty and lack of care for property (buildings that have collapsed, rusted out cars just deteriorating, etc) is both incredibly depressing and frustrating. I was really impressed at how nice the Bluegrass area is between Lexington and Lousville, as well as the town's themselves, but those interior areas are just pitiful.
We didn't find it that way in Johnson and Magoffin counties, etc. over the holidays. I don't deny that it exists, but the homes and businesses were nice, taken care of. I didn't see rusted cars or collapsed buildings where we were, and we were off the beaten path looking for open campsites.

One thing I liked is that downtown Paintsville and Salyersville seemed thriving. At least that is in place. Obviously, there are significant employment issues that must be addressed, but it was nice to go to a small town that's not just a stop in the road, the way most are where we live.

Last edited by capcat; 02-07-2014 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
We didn't find it that way in Johnson and Magoffin counties, etc. over the holidays. I don't deny that it exists, but the homes and businesses were nice, taken care of. I didn't see rusted cars or collapsed buildings where we were, and we were off the beaten path looking for open campsites.

One thing I liked is that downtown Paintsville and Salyersville seemed thriving. At least that is in place. Obviously, there are significant employment issues that must be addressed, but it was nice to go to a small town that's not just a stop in the road, the way most are where we live.
And, it's not that way in Bell County either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky