Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldClothesandSuch View Post
Ill reiterate: the quality of education is not based on cost per pupil, but rather, per capita income.

Where do you get this from?

Outcomes are based on per capita income.

That is decidedly different from the quality of the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere;51670907[B
]Staking out lawmakers' homes[/b] and verbally abusing them is "thug" BEHAVIOR and, yes, it is a mob mentality. Some of their signs were obscene as well. If you want to be seen as and treated like mature professional adults, act like it.
You mean the official Kentucky Governor's Mansion, next to the capitol building in Frankfort? I am not aware that any other "lawmakers" lived there. For that matter, the Bevins are said to spend most of their time in Anchorage, at that big old house that was sold under questionable financial circumstances a year ago.

If teachers are protesting outside of other elected officials' homes, why has this interesting and relevant news not appeared in any Kentucky media that I have seen or heard?

Free speech and verbally protesting is not the same as "verbal abuse". If you're going to hold elective public office in this country, you'd better get used to outspoken constituents among those whom you are supposed to represent.

Voicing one's opposition to an unpopular governmental policy or practice - or leader - is hardly "verbal abuse". My goodness, ever hear of Patrick Henry?? What do you think of his famous speech, directed at King George III? Who wasn't even elected??

If you're so concerned about abuse, why not turn your attention to the illegal financial abuse the teachers and other public employees and retirees have been subjected to in recent years? That's what the protests were about.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:50 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You mean the official Kentucky Governor's Mansion, next to the capitol building in Frankfort? I am not aware that any other "lawmakers" lived there. For that matter, the Bevins are said to spend most of their time in Anchorage, at that big old house that was sold under questionable financial circumstances a year ago.

If teachers are protesting outside of other elected officials' homes, why has this interesting and relevant news not appeared in any Kentucky media that I have seen or heard?

Free speech and verbally protesting is not the same as "verbal abuse". If you're going to hold elective public office in this country, you'd better get used to outspoken constituents among those whom you are supposed to represent.

Voicing one's opposition to an unpopular governmental policy or practice - or leader - is hardly "verbal abuse". My goodness, ever hear of Patrick Henry?? What do you think of his famous speech, directed at King George III? Who wasn't even elected??

If you're so concerned about abuse, why not turn your attention to the illegal financial abuse the teachers and other public employees and retirees have been subjected to in recent years? That's what the protests were about.
Some convened at a lawmaker's person home (in another city) to protest his position/vote and harassed him. Keep up.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Some convened at a lawmaker's person home (in another city) to protest his position/vote and harassed him. Keep up.
Please cite your source, including the name of the "lawmaker", his or her position, and the city in which this occurred. Odd it wasn't covered by the "Lexington Herald-Leader", which has been covering the pension crisis very closely for weeks now.

I just searched online for "Kentucky teachers protest at home of legislator" and found nothing. Then I searched for "teachers protest at home of legislator", thinking perhaps you'd mistaken the state where this supposed incident occurred.

Again, nothing.

Please provide documentation of your claim.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Moderator cut: Against TOS

Kentucky pension crisis: Bevin says opponents showing

"He also criticized opponents of SB 1 for protesting outside Bowen Tire Co. in Owensboro. State Sen. Joe Bowen, who sponsored the pension bill, is a partner in the business, according to the Legislative Research Commission. Bevin said the action displayed a 'thug mentality.'"

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-21-2018 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Please keep your posts focused on the topic, not other posters

Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 AM

According to the article cited above, teachers protested at the business, not the home, of State Senator Joe Bowen of Owensboro. No wonder I could not find a reference, since you initially misstated what occurred.

Considerable difference between an individual's home - and one's business.

For the record, I don't think this was helpful or productive behavior on the teachers' parts, but I can see why their frustration at being neither heard nor represented led to this action.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-21-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 12:22 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
According to the article cited above, teachers protested at the business, not the home, of State Senator Joe Bowen of Owensboro. No wonder I could not find a reference, since you initially misstated what occurred.

Considerable difference between an individual's home - and one's business.

For the record, I don't think this was helpful or productive behavior on the teachers' parts, but I can see why their frustration at being neither heard nor represented led to this action.
There is a difference indeed. Politicians don’t mind their businesses benefitting from their participation in state politics. It should come as no surprise to politicians that the opposite can happen, as in this case.

Bowen was one of the primary authors of Senate Bill 1 and, at least originally, one of Bevins’ biggest cheerleaders on the topic. I have noticed he has changed his tune and become far more conciliatory. No one should doubt, those protestors outside his business are probably the primary motivator inat that evolved thinking. I think he, along with other state politicians, were shocked by the response. I guess they just thought they could do whatever they liked and everyone would just meekly accept it.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:25 PM

47 posts, read 47,270 times
Kentucky teachers aren’t allowed to put part of their money in one of the baskets available to just about every other American.[/quote]

I was being general. "Sheesh"

Old 04-21-2018, 03:30 PM

47 posts, read 47,270 times
Quote:

For whatever its worth, the thug mentality Ive experienced from a Kentucky teacher was in the form of doxxing me, publicly posting my home phone number on the Governors facebook page in the comments of a post. Guess she didn't like what I had to say and decided it was time to get even? IDK.

I took it upon myself to write the school board, principal and superintendent in the county where she is employed as a teacher and sent them screen shots of her "thug mentality".

I was made aware that the issue would be dealt with accordingly.

So there's that.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldClothesandSuch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Kentucky teachers aren’t allowed to put part of their money in one of the baskets available to just about every other American.
I was being general. "Sheesh"
The topic of this thread involves Kentucky teachers and the fact that they are not allowed to participate in Social Security is very pertinent to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky