Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:35 PM

10 posts, read 12,519 times

Advertisements

So... you don't like what KY teachers have done but you justify yourself calling them "THUG"?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-24-2018 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: I assume you know why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldClothesandSuch View Post
The teacher saw my name, used a nifty little feature called "google" and found out my phone number somehow. Don't ask me, ask the thug who posted it on in a comment on a public page.

Ive never had any interactions with this person prior to her comment. Not one. She read something I wrote and decided to dox me. So now you're justifying the fact that my information is publicly available via a little nosing around, that its perfectly fine for this educator to bully someone because she didn't like what I said?
Interesting concept.

I'd love to send you the screen shots so you can get a clearer idea of what transpired. Thug mentality at its finest.

Oh and Im fully aware of what "dealt with accordingly" could mean. This isn't my first rodeo dealing with local government/school districts. I checked their agenda for the following meeting that week - Personnel/Action was on it, one could only hope/assume.

I wasn't looking for sympathy from the SB/Super/Principal - I was looking for accountability.
That translates into one person acting inappropriately on social media, as do many individuals of multiple walks of life. Trust me there are no shortages when comes to people allowing their idiocy or vileness to come shining through in posting, that is why sites with “chat” have moderators. The appropriate channel for accountability in such cases is the site, not the person’s employer.

Kentucky is a tenure state, chances of any accountability over this are practically non-existent - appropriately so. The only way there would be justification in doing anything to the teacher in question is if they got the information they posted from school records - in that case the teacher could and should be immediately fired for violation of FERPA.

To paint teachers in the state as thugs over an internet scuffle is hyperbole on steroids. They aren’t beating people up, they aren’t throwing bricks through window, they aren’t stealing items from the school - they are protesting. If the governor wants to direct teachers have their certification suspended for failing to show up to work or falsely calling in sick, he has the option to try under the guise of the moral turpitude clause. But, calling them thugs when 99% of the people recognize it is not a valid just makes him look stupid.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
My experience with public school teachers was mostly horrible but I recognize the importance of their job and won't complain about them protesting changes to their pensions. Especially since in KY the pension problem isn't greedy retirees but dumb politicians using pension funds for other things.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
So here's the thing about the pensions. Sacrifices are being made all around -- it's not just teachers. No changes were even proposed that would affect current retirees or those nearing retirement once they were assured their COLA would remain unchanged. Instead, more sacrifices were demanded of other state workers and taxpayers in general. In the end, all the teachers were "protesting" was the delusion that the loss of a defined benefit plan in the future would deter people from entering the field (when, in fact, those who've studied it assert that it's inferior to what's being offered in the future). So in the end, they were protesting just to protest, and it was more about partisanship and politics than any actual "hardship." If nothing is done to address the wrongs of the past ten years (under Democratic leadership), the fund WILL go bankrupt, and no one will get ANYTHING. I'm not sure what part of that these supposedly brilliant teachers don't understand. Frankly, these antics make them look stupid.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:47 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
What is wrong about all this is the teachers and other state workers didn't put the pension system that far in debt. Frankfort did. They borrowed money to pay other bills and never put it back. Now that it's so far in the hole, Frankfort is putting it all on the workers' backs when they didn't have anything to do it. What the teachers are doing does not make them look stupid. What would make them look stupid would be to just sit there like "Oh, OK. That's fine''.
And thank you for the big laugh that our (I'm a state retiree) COLA would remain unchanged. I retired in 2008 and have received ONE 1.5% COLA since retiring. According to a local state representative "we can't give the raises until we get rid of the deficit".
All the teachers were "protesting", as you put it, was what they have to live on. Remember they get no Social Security so the state pension is all some of them have. When they have to put in more to get less, it will hurt and, yes, it could keep some teachers and students graduating from college with a teaching degree from looking at Kentucky.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:42 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Red and white yard signs are popping up in Lexington, reading "I support our teachers".

Wish I knew the source of these signs, as I would happily add one to my own property. Think I'll call the board of education tomorrow and see if they know where they're coming from.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:15 AM

So tired of hearing about the poor (no pun intended) teachers not receiving SS. They also weren't required -- as most people are, certainly all other state employees -- to PAY INTO SS, meaning hundreds more in their paychecks each month which they could easily have saved or invested, not to mention having all summer off to work another job for additional income -- another opportunity not available to those of us required to show up to a job every day of the year. Quit whining and teach or get into another line of work you consider more "fair"; I suspect you'd soon see how good you once had it.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I doubt it.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:35 PM

47 posts, read 47,290 times
The amount of misinformation I hear/read on the radio & on Facebook every day about the pension problem is astounding. Nearly 90% of the people I hear on Kentucky talk radio are under the impression that current and retired teachers are getting their pensions pensions ripped out from under them. I have a feeling the KTA has done a good job at keeping them misinformed, seeing as it works in their benefit.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldClothesandSuch View Post
The amount of misinformation I hear/read on the radio & on Facebook every day about the pension problem is astounding. Nearly 90% of the people I hear on Kentucky talk radio are under the impression that current and retired teachers are getting their pensions pensions ripped out from under them. I have a feeling the KTA has done a good job at keeping them misinformed, seeing as it works in their benefit.
Exactly, and of course all these teacher protests are just part and parcel of a larger agenda. Mob rule.

The Teacher Strikes Aren't About Pay, They're About Mobilizing Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky