Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:07 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldClothesandSuch View Post
For whatever its worth, the thug mentality Ive experienced from a Kentucky teacher was in the form of doxxing me, publicly posting my home phone number on the Governors facebook page in the comments of a post. Guess she didn't like what I had to say and decided it was time to get even? IDK.

I took it upon myself to write the school board, principal and superintendent in the county where she is employed as a teacher and sent them screen shots of her "thug mentality".

I was made aware that the issue would be dealt with accordingly.

So there's that.
How did this teacher know your home phone number to post it? Given that you don’t have children in the schools you must be friends or you supplied enough identifying information it was obtainable by anyone who wanted it anyway. How does that translate into Kentucky teachers being thugs?

Speaking of which, to go to the trouble to find out some previously unknown teacher’s employing school board, superintendent, and principal over an ugly little Facebook exchange and writing all three, complete with screen shot of a post in the comment section, took quite a bit of effort. What exactly did you hope to accomplish by this? That she be fired?

Just in case you were wondering “dealt with it accordingly” may, and let me reemphasize the word may, result in the principal saying “don’t get in Facebook spats on governor’s page,” to the teacher, mostly likely prefaced with “some nutcase contacted me....” However, based on years of experience, the most likely response will be to roll their eyes and toss it in file 13 while hoping this whole mess blows over real soon because of crap like this. The principal, you know, is also impacted by any changes to KTRS, so they aren’t going to sympathize with your viewpoint, regardless.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
According to the article cited above, teachers protested at the business, not the home, of State Senator Joe Bowen of Owensboro. No wonder I could not find a reference, since you initially misstated what occurred.

Considerable difference between an individual's home - and one's business.

For the record, I don't think this was helpful or productive behavior on the teachers' parts, but I can see why their frustration at being neither heard nor represented led to this action.
His city, if we must parse words, and causing a disturbance at one's public business in one's hometown, where one earns one living, is arguably more disruptive and damaging than causing a disturbance at one's private house, which is why they did it. Regardless, that's "thug mentality" in my book. The teachers would do well to stop acting like petulant spoiled brats if they want the respect they're commanding; they're hardly behaving like the "professionals" they claim to be. This a problem than HAS to be fixed, and it requires sacrifice from all; teachers are not exempt. The nasty, obscene signs; angry, shrill rhetoric; and enlisting young children in their protests don't help their cause in the public's eye, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 07:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,926,866 times
Though not before noting that the difference between "home" and "business" is substantial, and pointing out that difference is hardly "parsing words".

Your claim was misleading at best, indisputably inaccurate, and false at worst.

Outta here.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2018 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Against the TOS

Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 AM

That protesting teachers stalked and harassed the author of this bill in his private life on his home turf (whether that's his house or his business, and frankly I didn't remember which it was, is hardly relevant) is true; not false. The link is there for all to see. The behavior is indefensible, so "shoot the messenger." Typical.

Last edited by otterhere; 04-22-2018 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 AM

10 posts, read 12,554 times
Oldclothesandsuch and Otterhere, I am just curious if you were a teacher and if some of your pension is taking away from you because of the mess your government created, would you still support this kind of politicians? Have you put yourself in teacher's shoes to look at things from different perspective? You would not know how they feel and why they did what they did until you are in their position. Plus: "A thug is typically referred to a male or female who commits crimes for personal gain through stealing, selling drugs, but especially violent crimes such as robbery and assault". If you call teachers they have "Thug Mentality", I do not believe any of above occurred during their protest.

"Moderator cut: - leadership amended a sewage bill to include “pension reform.” They are now forcing lawmakers to vote on the bill without time to read its 291 pages, with no testimony from the public and without any actuarial analysis". If you have been treated like our KY teachers have been treated by our governor, and if the schools are losing state funding, you would not worry about the future of our education and children? I asked my son who is in his freshman year in one of KY public school, if his teachers did right thing or not and he agrees that teachers did right thing to protest against their pension and school funding they need. Many students support teachers and they acknowledge that being teacher is the difficult job. I think all teachers deserve more respect, at least from our government.

I am just putting my opinion here but I agree that this thread is becoming unproductive as some are just focusing on WHAT TEACHERS DID WRONG and very politically corrected...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2018 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Please read post #5.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Why is criticizing the behavior of these teachers "politically incorrect"? To my knowledge, they are not yet a protected class (no pun intended), although they seem to think they should be. I'm just personally not impressed with them or their conduct; YMMV.

Last edited by otterhere; 04-22-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That protesting teachers stalked and harassed the author of this bill in his private life on his home turf (whether that's his house or his business, and frankly I didn't remember which it was, is hardly relevant) is true; not false. The link is there for all to see. The behavior is indefensible, so "shoot the messenger." Typical.
Those protesting at his business were from Davis County, Ohio County, and Owensboro - in other words, his constituents. It is their home turf also. They didn’t need to stalk him, previous to this he went out of his way to make sure they knew he owned that business. He would do ads and interviews where he would add in “stop on by the shop” while running for office. They took him up on the offer. If he thinks his constituents making sure he knows his actions, under the guise of representing them, is not acceptable to them constitutes thug mentality he needs to get out of office.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the appropriate response from teachers should have been? “Gosh, I spent 30+ years being promised that if I stayed in the classroom I would receive certain benefits, but hey, no big deal if you decrease the amount you give me while increasing my health insurance premiums significantly. And, sure it makes no difference that I am ineligible to receive Social Security, and you promised the federal government that I’d receive a defined compensation in it’s place. Go ahead and slash it. Of course, it means nothing that I have paid into that retirement fund for 30+ years.”

I am serious, what do you think their proper response should have been?

Old 04-22-2018, 10:06 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,926,866 times
Oh, but Oldhag1, those were PUBLIC school teachers, don'tchaknow. They pretended to "teach" at those big bad public schools. What some term "GOVERNMENT" (shock, horror!!) schools...

Now if they'd been homeschool "teachers", or charter school teachers....

Old 04-22-2018, 02:03 PM

14,818 posts, read 8,151,181 times
My son went to all Public Schools in Kentucky and I have to say I have the most respect for the teachers in the public school system in Kentucky. They were always strong role models, professional in the jobs that they did, always held themselves to the highest standards.
After dedicating their lives to teaching our children, they deserve to be able to retire with some dignity. The same applies to all state workers, if they dedicate themselves to their community they should be treated with dignity and able to retire when the time comes.

That is why hearing the governor call them thugs and the other horrible things...I find appalling and disgusting. (I do not agree, do not believe it and I am disgusted by his comments)
And you know what? Every single person that I have talked to (outside of City Data) are also angry and disgusted...and every single person has sided here with the teachers.
And this is a first....I don't think I have ever seen an issue that every single person I know, has felt the same way....I think come election time, there are going to be some Politicians going out
in flames. And deservedly so.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 47,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How did this teacher know your home phone number to post it? Given that you don’t have children in the schools you must be friends or you supplied enough identifying information it was obtainable by anyone who wanted it anyway. How does that translate into Kentucky teachers being thugs?

Speaking of which, to go to the trouble to find out some previously unknown teacher’s employing school board, superintendent, and principal over an ugly little Facebook exchange and writing all three, complete with screen shot of a post in the comment section, took quite a bit of effort. What exactly did you hope to accomplish by this? That she be fired?

Just in case you were wondering “dealt with it accordingly” may, and let me reemphasize the word may, result in the principal saying “don’t get in Facebook spats on governor’s page,” to the teacher, mostly likely prefaced with “some nutcase contacted me....” However, based on years of experience, the most likely response will be to roll their eyes and toss it in file 13 while hoping this whole mess blows over real soon because of crap like this. The principal, you know, is also impacted by any changes to KTRS, so they aren’t going to sympathize with your viewpoint, regardless.
The teacher saw my name, used a nifty little feature called "google" and found out my phone number somehow. Don't ask me, ask the thug who posted it on in a comment on a public page.

Ive never had any interactions with this person prior to her comment. Not one. She read something I wrote and decided to dox me. So now you're justifying the fact that my information is publicly available via a little nosing around, that its perfectly fine for this educator to bully someone because she didn't like what I said?
Interesting concept.

I'd love to send you the screen shots so you can get a clearer idea of what transpired. Thug mentality at its finest.

Oh and Im fully aware of what "dealt with accordingly" could mean. This isn't my first rodeo dealing with local government/school districts. I checked their agenda for the following meeting that week - Personnel/Action was on it, one could only hope/assume.

I wasn't looking for sympathy from the SB/Super/Principal - I was looking for accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky