Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariposa View Post
That sounds contradictory to me; I think it's regressive to constantly look backward. Backward thinking is responsible for our country's current state. I think that intelligence is correlative to a desire to grow; challenges beget experience, which begets learning one's self and others better. And yes, I do think curbside recycling is progressive, especially in today's throw-away society.
I've met many people who are brilliant yet I would not consider them progressive thinkers. Some people have aptitudes in certain areas but not others. Often times, those people excel past those that are "well rounded" because they have a specific set of skills far exceeding others within their chosen career path. Myself, I am destined for middle management, because I am a "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariposa View Post
That sounds contradictory to me; I think it's regressive to constantly look backward. Backward thinking is responsible for our country's current state. I think that intelligence is correlative to a desire to grow; challenges beget experience, which begets learning one's self and others better. And yes, I do think curbside recycling is progressive, especially in today's throw-away society.
I don't know. Progress has got us more drug use, more unwed mothers, more abortions, more broken homes, more need for both parents to work, more crime, more gangs, more ..... Not all progress is good. In fact I can "look backward" at my schools curriculum and disciplinary code and easily see why a junior high (middle school) education in the 50's and 60's was equal to a high School education today.

Being "progressive" is only good if true progress is made. Being "conservative" is only of value if you conserve the good. Being smart seems to be the real challenge. Since the "progressive" movement has been more and more dominant I suspect it is likely more responsible for conditions, than not.

Growth is great, if it is the right kind of growth. Unfortunately what is called growth is really something else, in so many cases. Each generation thinks it is smarter, wiser and can do a better job. Yet that is not proving to be the case. Ask your grand parents, who have tons of experience.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 24,945 times
Every state has its problem areas and poverty and with it aggression and people struggling to survive which means education takes a back seat to putting food on the table.
Every state has this rather it be Ky, New York, Texas,California it just so happens that books and articles on coalminers and the media on Appalachia over the years have gone out of its way to portray the Appalachia Region Ky, Va, W.VA., as backwards uneducated people, but in fact we are a loving educated close net hard working people.
It takes a special person to put their life on the line every day and go underground and work in 23 ,18, 36 inch coal and crawl and work 12 and 18 hours not knowing if it will be their last day so the rest of the country can have electric. I have heard people call coal miners stupid I have met very few dumb coalminers on average coalminers in my area start out at 16-18 dollars an hour.
I am sure people and the media do the same thing people want to feel good about where they live and they will always have a rival and want to exploit it
they will find one negative thing and it controls them.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I didn't see anyone pick on miners? Many miners are unionists and by definition a trade unionist is a progressive, Hell, it's way more progressive to be a unionist than it is to recycle plastic bottles.

Yeah, recycling, that really puts the establishment on the run. You'll never see the big money boys sic the Pinkertons and National Guard on recyclers.

Hell, this whole Green business is another way for business to make money selling you new crap that's "green". Nothing appeals to the American middle class like the notion that they can display virtue by buying things.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
Kentucky is a beautiful state filled with hospitality and love I am a registered nurse and work in one of the poorest areas of ky I have seen how that people can pull together to make a difference education is important but where is your heart and spirit it takes an uneducated person to judge people they have never met instead of makeing derogatory statments twords others lets make a difference remember you can not take it with you when your gone you will only be remembered by those whose lives you touched while you were here I will make it simple if you can not say something nice do not say anything at all

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,515 times
This is just a blanket reply; I guess I'm alone in my thinking regarding "progressive" and its definition. I don't think "progressive" is a rigid term. I also don't think people should allow themselves to be defined by what they do for a living. Progressive to me certainly doesn't mean demonizing people for their choices. And the traditional nuclear family isn't/wasn't always wine and roses; many fists have been, and continue to be, raised behind closed doors---sometimes divorce is a better option. I try to refrain from judging others who insist upon judging me and everyone else; compassion is a valuable commodity because of its rarity. And anyone who thinks that our poor choices have not affected our environment should wake up and smell the carginogenic manmade plastic. In fact, being a green pioneer means buying as little as possible; reuse, buy things secondhand, conserve our shrinking resources, and stop supporting big business: THAT is what will hurt them. As for the rest, I don't claim to be smarter than any entire generation---I know enough to know that I don't know everything. I think progressive thinkers think for themselves, don't bully others or allow themselves to be bullied, and certainly don't hide their proverbial heads in the sand when uncomfortable circumstances arise. We live in such a black-and-white world that people forget the various shades of grey that exist between the extremes. I'm just very thankful that I have the freedom to be myself and to pursue happiness. And thinking gives me the greatest pleasure.

Last edited by msmariposa; 09-20-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: I forgot a thought.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:00 PM

123 posts, read 391,539 times
I like Kentucky. I like Kentuckians. The most decent people I've met in the last ten years while I've been traveling around the country.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,645 times
I am from Kentucky although I have now lived in West Texas for 30 years. My sister that livTennessee

The owner of a golf course was confused about paying an invoice, so he decided to ask his secretary for some mathematical help. He called her into his office and said, 'You graduated from the University of Tennessee and I need some help. If I were to give you $20,000, minus 14%, how much would you take off?'

The secretary thought a moment, and then replied, 'Everything but my earrings.'

Alabama

A group of Alabama friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day. That night, one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck. 'Where's Henry?' the others asked.

'Henry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail,' the successful hunter replied.

'You left Henry laying out there and carried the deer back?' they inquired.

'A tough call,' nodded the hunter. 'But I figured no one is going to steal Henry!'

Texas ;

The Sheriff pulled up next to the guy unloading garbage out of his pick-up into the ditch. The Sheriff asked, 'Why are you dumping garbage in the ditch? Don't you see that sign right over your head'. 'Yep', he replied. 'That's why I dumpin it here, cause it says 'Fine For Dumping Garbage'.

Louisiana

A senior at LSU was overheard saying... 'When the end of the world comes, I hope to be in Louisiana.' When asked why, he replied he'd rather be in Louisiana because everything happens in Louisiana 20 years later than in the rest of the civilized world.

Mississippi

The young man from Mississippi came running into the store and said to his buddy, 'Bubba, somebody just stole y our pickup truck from the parking lot!'

Bubba replied, 'Did you see who it was?'

The young man answered, 'I couldn't tell, but I got his license number.'

Georgia

A Georgia State trooper pulled over a pickup on I- 75. The trooper asked, 'Got any I.D.?'

The driver replied, 'Bout whut?'

North Carolina

A man in North Carolina had a flat tire, pulled off on the side of the road, and proceeded to put a bouquet of flowers in front of the car and one behind it.

Then he got back in the car to wait. A passerby studied the scene as he drove by and was so curious he turned around and went back. He asked the fellow what the problem was..

The man replied, 'I have a flat tire.'

The passerby asked, 'But what's with the flowers?'

The man responded, 'When you break down they tell you to put flares in the front and flares in the back. Hey, it don't make no sense to me neither.'

And this from South Carolina

'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North
es in Michigan sent this email to me today.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 AM

123 posts, read 391,539 times
I like it.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:46 AM

11 posts, read 42,140 times
Talking Backwards?

Kentucky seems to always get a bad rap, like we are all a bunch of hicks who square dance and sleep with their cousins, but it just isn't true. I'm not going to say that there aren't some people out there that do that, but it is a very small group. People will think what they want, though, and nobody can change that. We are, however, just like everyone else. (and we wear shoes too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky