Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Actually, the people here grate my nerves too. They're not as friendly as they like to think they are, although they're friendlier on the surface than people from NYC, LA proper, Chicago, Detroit, or Florida, for example. On the other hand, I've met plenty of folks from all around America, such as suburban LA/Orange County, East Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and upstate New York, that are friendlier or at least more polite than most Kentuckians I've ever met.

I just think that the Ohio Valley in general, encompassing most of PA, WV, MI, OH, IN, IL, KY, and TN, is just a depressed and unfriendly place in general. This region has the worst general economy in the nation (although the west coast CA-OR-NV cluster gives us a run for our money...get it?!?!) and the weather is unbelievably cold, damp and depression-invoking during these winter months.

I work in customer service. The friendliest folks I interact with are typically from Iowa, Oklahoma, upstate New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and even Southern California (excluding LA and San Diego). Question: ARE ANY OF THOSE SOUTHERN STATES?!?! I can assure you the locals can be friendly, but generally are very cold and unfriendly, and my customers from Louisville, Lexington, Indy, and Dayton are generally no better. We collectively are not mean, rude, or crude here, but just surly.
Actually, sunshine, condescending people like you grate on my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 AM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I was in Kentucky on the day Kentucky was the 50th unhappiest state.

It was early November,2007, the day after Gardner-Webb had defeated the UK Wildcats basketball team.
Hey, sunshine (I love being a smart-aleck), get out there and show Ky., Gardner-Webb, or for that matter the Croatian basketball team and show 'em what ya got! I'll just sit here and contribute to "Hoops for Haiti" (well, already contributed a week ago) and watch 'em make slam dunks, both on the court and actually doing something worthwhile for a people in need.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Location: During school I live on campus at MSU but was born and raised in Louisville, Ky.
11 posts, read 27,313 times
Lousy schools? That reminds me of a girl who lived in my dorm from CT that said she thought people from Kentucky were backwards and poorly educated...well after going to school at Murray State with us she deffinetely changed her mind. I went to Louisville Male High School which excells past most schools in the nation but gets no recognition cause were from stupid ol kentucky. Just to graduate from TMS to get into Male we were required to have already taken Algebra I and a full year of Latin..by my Junior year of High school our latin program at Male scored the highest in the nation on the NLA (national latin exam). We did not offer technical classes such as shop but were required to be in the College Prep field meaning you had to take 4 years of math science english and foreign language..my senior year I took Latin IV.. Calculus II..Physics..and AP Stats...and the UofL hospitol in downtown Louisville is one of the top in the nation..the fly people from St. Louis to Columbus OH and Idianapolis in to treat them...do not bash Kentucky if you only lived here for 3 years to go to College...and If u went to UK it probably seemed like basketball was the most important thing to the people because UK basketball is a dynasty..there are also a number of very highly ranked colleges and universities in the state including Murray State which was ranked 19th in the country for the 10th year in a row let me least some more..UofL speed school...Bellermine..Centre...Georgetown..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeam0014 View Post
Lousy schools? That reminds me of a girl who lived in my dorm from CT that said she thought people from Kentucky were backwards and poorly educated...well after going to school at Murray State with us she deffinetely changed her mind. I went to Louisville Male High School which excells past most schools in the nation but gets no recognition cause were from stupid ol kentucky. Just to graduate from TMS to get into Male we were required to have already taken Algebra I and a full year of Latin..by my Junior year of High school our latin program at Male scored the highest in the nation on the NLA (national latin exam). We did not offer technical classes such as shop but were required to be in the College Prep field meaning you had to take 4 years of math science english and foreign language..my senior year I took Latin IV.. Calculus II..Physics..and AP Stats...and the UofL hospitol in downtown Louisville is one of the top in the nation..the fly people from St. Louis to Columbus OH and Idianapolis in to treat them...do not bash Kentucky if you only lived here for 3 years to go to College...and If u went to UK it probably seemed like basketball was the most important thing to the people because UK basketball is a dynasty..there are also a number of very highly ranked colleges and universities in the state including Murray State which was ranked 19th in the country for the 10th year in a row let me least some more..UofL speed school...Bellermine..Centre...Georgetown..
---" she thought people from Kentucky were backwards and poorly educated"--

Ranking 49th out of 50 states for people with high school diplomas will give people a perception of----poorly educated.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Location: During school I live on campus at MSU but was born and raised in Louisville, Ky.
11 posts, read 27,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---" she thought people from Kentucky were backwards and poorly educated"--

Ranking 49th out of 50 states for people with high school diplomas will give people a perception of----poorly educated.

http://www.kltprc.net/policynotes/pn...tion_index.pdf

Not only was the ranking 31 instead of 49...it states that completion in Kentucky was 85% while in the number one state it was 96..thats and 11% difference so to say that an entire state is "poorly educated" is a very "poorly educated" statement in itself. Of course the state needs improvement but I will not accept critisism from those that say Kentucky is a state full of uneducated hillbillies.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
We're lower, but still by a small margin.

However, people from KY aren't the friendliest I've encountered or the happiest, but they're certainly not the opposite either. KY is an ok place to be.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
I have lived in Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, California, Kentucky.

I have found Kentucky culture in Louisville very challenging to adapt to. The locals are resistant to change and untrusting of outsiders. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have found that to be the general rule. I find a lack of literacy among middle aged coworkers who attended local public schools to cause a lot of miscommunications. The good ole' boy system is very much alive and well here. If you graduated from a local private catholic school, you are in, if not you are out. In business, Relationship takes priority over quality. That may sound like a nice ideal, but it's very anti-progress. It provides no incentive for improvement, and so you find some outdated methods and shoddy quality. If you are from a large progressive city, you will struggle with this a lot.

The cost of secondary education seems high and the options few. Outdoor life is limited, the culture is an indoor culture, probably due to the weather. I never saw a movie theater in a fitness gym until I moved here. I live in one of the better neighborhoods on the east side near the Summit and street gutters, concrete curbs, and sidewalks are not common. Running around the neighborhood is a good way to be attacked by unleashed dogs. In response to an earlier post, $120k is not an average salary here. Anchorage and Prospect and all the extravagance of those little communities probably represent .05% of all Louisville. If I could afford to live in such a place, I'd probably also have a residence in Florida Keys for the winter months, and yes life would be a dream.

The cost of living is low, and the housing market has remained surprisingly stable. However if you are from an arid state, do not underestimate the cost of maintenance in such a wet and mold ridden environment. Also, before moving, seriously consider going to have an allergy test to see if you can survive here. Allergens are very high, lots of people on allergy shots.

Also, do account for the actual size of the city. It is not a big city, and expectations from people accustomed to living in large cities will meet with disappointment. If you are from California, don't tell anybody here.

Last edited by mailposter; 03-27-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
OK, so you've resurrected a four year old thread to whine about your experiences living in Louisville. While I know nothing about Louisville, I can assure you that it is not representative of the entire state of KY.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM

118 posts, read 251,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
OK, so you've resurrected a four year old thread to whine about your experiences living in Louisville. While I know nothing about Louisville, I can assure you that it is not representative of the entire state of KY.
Agreed, in fact it is the furthest thing from it.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
He's a one poster...we'll probably never hear from him again heck, he might even disappear, stranger things have happened. I've noticed a lot of them (one posters)...for what ever reason. I think it might be "someone" trying to create conversation when things get slow. (keeping the post count up) But, I'll have to give him credit for one thing...he got it about 90% correct, about louisville that is. Which is nothing like the rest of the state I'll have to agree and am thankful.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky