U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 PM
 
Location: TriCities, TN
227 posts, read 662,468 times
Reputation: 80

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
Here's a question... Is the no smoking policy in effect for both JC & KP? Next question... any suggestions about the best time to visit between June & Sept. for any reason?
I can see our biggest issue will be the flight over there from where we live right now. It would cost much less if we lived in Milwaukee or Chicago & flew into Ashville NC or Nashville Tn. There is a price difference of about $300 per person round trip. We may have to put up with a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hr. drive to save the big bucks
DLK, I believe the smoking ban is state wide. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

As for when to visit, if you want a sense of what summer is like, I would suggest July or early August. But if you want more fall like weather, then you may want late Sept. into October. I think you said at one point that you were thinking of visiting during Funfest?? One thing to consider is the Bristol Nascar race in late August. Hotel rooms are hard to find that weekend!!

My son flew into Milwaukee from Knoxville back in November. I can't remember what he paid, but it was a pretty good deal. I think it took me about 1 hr 45 min when I drove him to the airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
 
365 posts, read 908,751 times
Reputation: 110
dcommander... Getting a good idea of what summer is like there is a good idea, so maybe the end of July would be a good time. I did mention coming during Funfest(great memory), but I changed my mind because I'd rather come when things are as usual there, instead of extra crowded. We will stay away at race time.

We have a daughter who will be building a house in Janesville, Wi., & she will be taking care of our dog while we travel to Tn., so it might be best if we do fly out of Chicago. I'll just have to wait & see how the fares change in the upcoming months.
That was nice of you to make that long drive both ways for your son
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: TriCities, TN
227 posts, read 662,468 times
Reputation: 80
DLK, I'd say coming in summer is a good idea. Funfest isn't tooooo crazy but since you will really be looking at Kingsport, another time might be better.

I didn't have much choice regarding the drive to Knoxville.... my son was home on leave from Iraq and wanted to fly up to see his girlfriend in WI. Since he didn't have a vehicle it was either drive him to Knoxville or live with his moping around while here!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM
 
365 posts, read 908,751 times
Reputation: 110
dcommander.... Ok, I totally get your point about the situation with your son. The things we do for our children, but they're worth it.

We can check out Funfest if we decide to move there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
 
15 posts, read 60,972 times
Reputation: 38
Just for the record, I didn't intend to be funny in asking the question. I think raising a question of air quality about an industrial area is quite reasonable. The fact that noone else has ever raised the question does not invalidate it either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Kingsport, TN
2 posts, read 4,382 times
Reputation: 15
The Domtar paper mill in downtown Kingsport doesn't really have that bad of a smell as it is not a Kraft mill. When someone says it smells, ask them what does it smell like? They will most likely reply that it smells like sh**. Well, the reason why it smells like sh** is that the sewage treatment plant is next door and they do not treat the sewage on the weekends.

Next time you are at the intersection of Lynn Garden Drive and Center Street on a weekend, that smell ain't wood chips cooking, it's sewage stinkin'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM
 
383 posts, read 822,876 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
The fact that noone else has ever raised the question does not invalidate it either.

It has been brought up 100 times before. Be original. Ask something new that we CAN invalidate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 24,598,926 times
Reputation: 5496
Go to north downtown Bristol area for some good smells... the areas near potato chip factory in north Bristol (off of exit 3 I-81) often smells good if the wind is blowing your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp5 View Post
The Domtar paper mill in downtown Kingsport doesn't really have that bad of a smell as it is not a Kraft mill. When someone says it smells, ask them what does it smell like? They will most likely reply that it smells like sh**. Well, the reason why it smells like sh** is that the sewage treatment plant is next door and they do not treat the sewage on the weekends.

Next time you are at the intersection of Lynn Garden Drive and Center Street on a weekend, that smell ain't wood chips cooking, it's sewage stinkin'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
 
15 posts, read 60,972 times
Reputation: 38
Lightbulb Your Comment About My Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
It has been brought up 100 times before. Be original. Ask something new that we CAN invalidate.
My comment was regarding reply #65 by mbmouse the moderator, not a question to anyone about how the think or speak. Moderator cut: be polite please

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-29-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 19,577,428 times
Reputation: 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
Yes, money'itis. It's an illness caused by steady employment with common side effects being a stable economy, home ownership, and full medical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
LOL!! that's cute.
I have never heard of anyone say anything about any kind of illness due to the Eastman Chemical plant. I believe an OSHA rep(or 50) is always on site as well as other gov. agencies to assure it is safe. A plant that is square mile or more in size, yea it is regulated to the hilt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Just for the record, I didn't intend to be funny in asking the question. I think raising a question of air quality about an industrial area is quite reasonable. The fact that noone else has ever raised the question does not invalidate it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
My comment was regarding reply #65 by mbmouse the moderator, not a question to anyone about how the think or speak. I have 7 generations of history on the ground you are standing on. Is that "original" enough? Do you want to try to INVALIDATE that......?
I don't know how this became an argument. Now that I understand that it was my comment that upset you WalterB I apologize, but I think you may have taken my comment out of context? If you look at the quotes above I think you will see that I was laughing at the statements above in reference to the way he/she wrote about stable jobs etc. I then went on to explain that Eastman is very careful about the air quality. I was not making light of your question, that yes, has been asked many many times here on the forum. But I as well as several others here on CD answer it over and over again, which is fine. Ironically, last week I was in a meeting that had some stats about Kingsport and of course, Eastman and air quality came up. This past year the air quality of Kingsport was 6.25% ABOVE national standards.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top