Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I had nothing going on today and went to the Greeneville Publix. I was very impressed. They do a lot of premade food that is already seasoned and such, and all you have to do is cook it. Kroger did this when I lived in Indy and FC doesn’t. That’s a huge plus to me.

Everything seemed higher quality than food city. Prices were a toss up between FC with a card, more than Kroger with a card, and better than no cards. It just seemed so fresh and nice.

Eager to have them here.
So THAT has been your big complaint about how you can't find decent grocery stores here and that they don't carry a good selection?

I'm not a huge fan of FC unless they are having a good sale, but I will say the other day I noticed that I could get both alligator meat and ground buffalo if I had a mind too, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The general lack of selection is my complaint. That Greeneville Publix spanked every Food City the new State of Franklin store in selection. Don't even get me started on pricing.

FC at exit 5 had 32 oz. Powerade Zeros for $1.39 without card, $1 with yesterday. Bearden Kroger had them for $.58 with card last Sunday. FC has flavored water, like Nestle Splash, for $2.50/6 pack. It was Food Club brand. I went to the exit 7 water and got the name brand water for $1.50/6 pack. 32 of those Nestle waters were $7.28 at Sam's.

I'd love more fresh stuff ready to cook, but the locals do not seem to support it.

My preferences on a lot of things are so far out of touch with what most locals want I should just leave.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:49 PM

677 posts, read 1,072,830 times
Quote:
I'd love more fresh stuff ready to cook, but the locals do not seem to support it.
You're right in that the region's traditional grocery stores don't do a great job in this department. Publix is known for their pre-made meals so this will for sure be welcome. Currently, Earth Fare does a decent job of this as well as Java Juice House. I've never personally gotten any of Java Juice House's meals but I've heard good things. I believe they are all plant-based.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:04 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
My problem with buying pre-made is that I can usually get take out for less and take out can be ordered the way I want it prepared.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,647 times
I agree with SC on Food City pricing. I grew up shopping at the FC on Tusculum Blvd. on Greeneville. When I go back to town after being away several years, I usually go to FC for nostalgic purposes if I need to grab some groceries. It is amazing to me how much more expensive FC is than my grocery stores in a much larger city.

The Publix in Greeneville is great as most all other Publix's. The pre-made sandwiches are legit, and FC has nothing to rival it there. I hope it does well. There is a lot of competition and not sure if the demographics will support it in the long-run.

I used to do a lot of shopping when the Publix was Food Lion in Greeneville. It was decent, think it mostly closed due to problems at corporate but not sure.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:31 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
My problem with buying pre-made is that I can usually get take out for less and take out can be ordered the way I want it prepared.
It depends on what you want. I used to get these pre-made meatloaves at Kroger. All you had to was bake them. They were maybe a $1/more per pound than just the ground beef.

The pre-made, marinated chicken breasts were like $.50/lb more than plain chicken breast. For me, it's worth paying the extra bit there, but Food City doesn't even offer anything like that. About all you can get "pre-made" there are wings or fried chicken. I also noticed some items, like a horseradish root and fresh green beans and corn, that FC usually does not have, but that Publix did. Obviously they will have local beans or corn in season, but you're pretty much stuck with frozen or canned otherwise.

I bought several of the Publix branded items and the potatoes and beans were both good. Food Club items are generally horrible, though Food Club is not a Food City specific brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I agree with SC on Food City pricing. I grew up shopping at the FC on Tusculum Blvd. on Greeneville. When I go back to town after being away several years, I usually go to FC for nostalgic purposes if I need to grab some groceries. It is amazing to me how much more expensive FC is than my grocery stores in a much larger city.

The Publix in Greeneville is great as most all other Publix's. The pre-made sandwiches are legit, and FC has nothing to rival it there. I hope it does well. There is a lot of competition and not sure if the demographics will support it in the long-run.

I used to do a lot of shopping when the Publix was Food Lion in Greeneville. It was decent, think it mostly closed due to problems at corporate but not sure.
We've gone back and forth on grocery prices on these boards, and no one seems to really have a good idea why prices are high here. With that said, this area has, on average, the highest grocery prices of anywhere I've ever lived (SC, IN, IA, MA) except metro Boston.

Yes, I'm sure part of this is psychological (prices are always going up everywhere) and some of it is probably real (I'm sure food is probably higher today at FC than six years ago in Iowa, but not exactly apples to apples). Still, my concern is that most locals will not even give Publix a chance and will continue shopping at Food City.

Publix isn't going after the same market that Aldi is, but I can see them bleeding people off from Earthfare and TFM. Food City shoppers will stick with Food City, and I also think Ingles could be quite vulnerable.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 01-30-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 09:18 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It depends on what you want. I used to get these pre-made meatloaves at Kroger. All you had to was bake them. They were maybe a $1/more per pound than just the ground beef.

The pre-made, marinated chicken breasts were like $.50/lb more than plain chicken breast. For me, it's worth paying the extra bit there, but Food City doesn't even offer anything like that. About all you can get "pre-made" there are wings or fried chicken.
My FC has pre-made individual meals in parchment bags that can be baked or microwaved, seasoned fish, chicken, or beef, with a small amount of vegetables. Quite tasty, wonderful for taking to work, runs about $6-7 a meal, I try to catch them when they are close dated at half price. Looks a bit like these https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hQWHUabNCl0/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-30-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 04:09 PM

36 posts, read 45,058 times
Default More Info on Publix 1633, Johnson City, Tn

Carolina Knight's post was right on the money, from what I have learned from various construction bid websites. Some additional details from examining McCrory's Construction website:

Anticipated Starting Date: March 2, 2018
Anticipated "Substantial Completion" date: January 10, 2019

The first phase of construction will be a new building of shops, one of which will house the Japanese restaurant that's in the present shopping center. After it's been relocated, the rest of the center will be demolished--except for the Little Caesar's/2 cash advance stores. There will be a small retail space created just to the left of the Little Caesar's section, then the new Publix will be built next to the new space. The media has said that it will be a 45,000 sq. ft. store. Most of the time that translates to 45,600, but according to the architectural plans I've seen on line, the Johnson City store will actually have either 46,654 or 46,601 interior square feet (I've seen both figures mentioned in these plans, with most of them having the bigger number).

Publix has really dragged its feet on this. Probably adding to the problem is they were expecting to build their Bristol, VA store first--but the shopping center developer pulled the plug on the center from lack of interest. Anyway, this store won't open until sometime next year. My guess is February or March, if they actually meet the completion date above. You Tube videos suggest that average stocking time for a new Publix is two weeks before a grand opening.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:37 PM

36 posts, read 45,058 times
I meant to add these comments to the above post, but ran out of time. . . . . .

I think Publix will be very successful at this location IF access problems are addressed. This is the busiest intersection in town, which is why I think Publix selected this site. When Food City built their ho-hum store at the corner of Sunset and State of Franklin the other year, I couldn't help think that it would've been the ideal location for a Publix--but Publix moves slowly, I've noticed in my research, taking an average of 3 years from site selection to store opening.

When they announced they were coming to Greeneville, I thought it was a very odd choice given its small population and lower income levels. To me, any of the Tri-Cities would've been a more logical choice. Anyway, I first visited the Greeneville store a week after it opened and was wowed by what I saw. There were several items that I always had to order because nobody carried them around here--not even the Fresh Market--and the food bar had many interesting and diverse offerings. I returned 2-3 months later and these premium items had vanished, and the food bar was reduced to more mundane offerings of chicken, meat loaf, green beans, and macaroni--the same old stuff that Food City trots out practically every day of the week (and not worth eating, in my opinion). So here Publix comes into a small town and soon has to "downgrade" some of their offerings. I've been 5 or 6 times now, and have never seen many people shopping there--I hope it's just the time of day (early afternoon) when I arrive. I don't think Johnson City will have any of these problems with its much larger population, better income levels, near-by university, and being practically in the door of a large medical center. But, as I said, access has to be addressed, or people won't be bothered by the hassle.

I will certainly give Publix some of my business, but I live a mile or so from the Food City in Piney Flats, and that and Walmart are more convenient--although Walmart's poor stocking and here-today/gone-tomorrow items drive me nuts. I used to like the Kroger off North Roan Street, but it's a bit outmoded and small now. It doesn't carry the broad assortment and more hard-to-find items that it used to, produce NEVER looks fresh, the prices are high, and the store is crowded and dirty.

Bottom Line: Publix, I am thankful you are coming to town. Johnson City, I am sure, will welcome you with open arms!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershwingreen View Post
Publix has really dragged its feet on this. Probably adding to the problem is they were expecting to build their Bristol, VA store first--but the shopping center developer pulled the plug on the center from lack of interest. Anyway, this store won't open until sometime next year. My guess is February or March, if they actually meet the completion date above. You Tube videos suggest that average stocking time for a new Publix is two weeks before a grand opening.
Publix previously announced a store at Jefferson Trace in the Bristol community in Washington County, Virginia. It was one of two initial stores announced in Publix's entry into Virginia. Plans for Jefferson Trace unraveled. Publix denounced its Jefferson Trace store afterward.

A 53,785-square-foot supermarket with a pharmacy drive thru is proposed at The Falls in the City of Bristol in Virginia. The supermarket could be Food City or Publix. Publix does have a 54,000-square-foot prototype (54m).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol