Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,518 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone... I have been reading through alot of past threads (I think that is what they are called). Anyways, we are moving to the area by October. I will be heading there this summer to find our little slice of Heaven. While I am mainly focused on the Elizabethton area, I am also wanting to check out Unicoi, Roan Mt., and Hampton. I was wanting to get some of your own impressions of these areas. I also wanted to know specificly about the snow fall avg. inches at one time in these areas. I assume the higher in the mountains the more snowfall. Does anyone knows of local artisans who hold classes/teach pottery. I know about the art center in Elizabethton and checked there class offerings but did not see anything on pottery. I was also wondering about the insects. In particular the mesquitos. My last question, for now, is about farmers markets. I have read about some right around JC and Kingsport, but are there any local to Elizabethton or the other towns?
I just want to tell you all again how great ya'll are at helping everyone on here. I posted a "Thank You" to everyone, but in case you don't know just how appreciated you are, I wanted to tell you again!! Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
I really don't know enough about any of those communities to answer your questions, well except mosquitos - lots of them. You'll have to spray in the summer.

But I did want to point one the one big difference. Elizabethton is 10-15 minutes from Johnson City's South/East side, whereas the others are quite a bit farther out. Unicoi's probably the next closest if you take 26 back into the city. It's a lovely little area, though.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
For the four places you mentioned, here's what you can probably expect in terms of avg. annual snowfall: Elizabethton & Unicoi, 8-12"; Hampton, 10-14"; Roan Mountain, 15-20". The higher mountains above the town of Roan Mountain can get 80-100" a year. Due to its elevation, Roan Mountain is usually 4-6 degrees cooler than the other three areas.

Mosquitoes are no bigger problem here than in most parts of the US. My girlfriend gets eaten up some evenings but I don't get bitten much. FWIW, a good DEET spray or lotion is very effective at keeping the skeeters at bay. I have a bigger issue w/ deer flies on my hikes in the woods, as their bites are pretty painful. They can be a real nuisance in the summer and late spring but DEET wards them off as well, and they're not a problem in areas that aren't heavily wooded.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
There is a farmers market in old downtown Bristol two days a week during the summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
[font=Arial] My last question, for now, is about farmers markets. I have read about some right around JC and Kingsport, but are there any local to Elizabethton or the other towns?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
Hi everyone... I have been reading through alot of past threads (I think that is what they are called). Anyways, we are moving to the area by October. I will be heading there this summer to find our little slice of Heaven. While I am mainly focused on the Elizabethton area, I am also wanting to check out Unicoi, Roan Mt., and Hampton. I was wanting to get some of your own impressions of these areas. I also wanted to know specificly about the snow fall avg. inches at one time in these areas. I assume the higher in the mountains the more snowfall. Does anyone knows of local artisans who hold classes/teach pottery. I know about the art center in Elizabethton and checked there class offerings but did not see anything on pottery. I was also wondering about the insects. In particular the mesquitos. My last question, for now, is about farmers markets. I have read about some right around JC and Kingsport, but are there any local to Elizabethton or the other towns?
I just want to tell you all again how great ya'll are at helping everyone on here. I posted a "Thank You" to everyone, but in case you don't know just how appreciated you are, I wanted to tell you again!! Thank You!!!
I think the area is lovely -the reason I wrote it off my list was due to air issues...you might want to inquire...

Old 05-16-2008, 06:27 AM

423 posts, read 1,404,600 times
There are community education classes held somewhere in Elizabethton and associated with Sycamore Shoals Park. If I remember correctly there was a class in pottery. Here is a pdf with some information of their 2008 programs: archives.starhq.com/PDF/2006/Jan/012206.pdf

Here's a link to the Park's website...if the pdf above doesn't work, try the park direct and they can email or mail you a list of their community classes for this year.... TN State Parks: Sycamore Shoals State Park

Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM

Hello everyone. Thank you for your answers. I can't wait till we get to come scout for our home.
Tennesseestorm, I have read many of your post about Bristol, and while I have never been there, you have me very intriqued...and I am really looking forward to visiting the area this summer.
About the mesquitos, I figured they were there, as they are everywhere. I was curious about how bad they were. It doesn't sound like they are too bad and as long as we use a deet spray we will be fine. We have five children and all of us are very outdoor oriented.
Thank you for the link about the pottery classes.
Is there ever an inch or two of snow at one time in these areas or is it more of a dusting?
Does anyone have any pictures of downtown Elizabethton, or any pictures of the other areas? I have seen what was available on there individual web sites. I was just wondering if ya'll have any others, particularly of downtown Elizabethton. I remember MBmouse refering to herself as the crazy lady with the camera and have seen many great photos from all of ya'll. So I thought I would ask.
Once again ya'll have proven to be a wealth of information!! Thank You!!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,657 times
To add to Pineywoods' thread:

New Page 1 (http://www.sycamoreshoals.org/Traditional%20Arts%20Workshops%2007.htm - broken link)

Old 05-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Thank you GrannyLois. That is exactly what I was looking for. You live right outside of Elizabethton right? Do you know much about the other areas? I think I have read that there are alot of mom and pop kind of stores in the downtown area of Elizabethton, as well as antiques, Is that correct? Are there any farmers markets in the imediate area? Thanks for taking the time to reply about the pottery classes. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by fallfanatic; 05-16-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: I have spelling issues...

Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 AM

359 posts, read 1,635,657 times
Yes, I Eliz. is the closest town to where I live in Stoney Creek.

Roan Mountain and Hampton are very small towns - very small, but nice. But close enough to Eliz. that it's not a problem - i'm talking 5 miles / 5 minutes.

Unicoi is a teensy settlement between Johnson City and Erwin with hardly any stores in it. It's more like an area, not really even a town.

I think Eliz. is a cool town. You're right about the downtown area. It's not real big = maybe 3-4 blocks, but that's what makes it kinda quaint. I think there's a farmer market, but haven't been to it, so I'm not sure. I like to take a day trip to Asheville, NC and visit their AWESOME huge farmer's market. It's only about an hour away. Maybe we could go together sometime - and take Pineywoods with us ....

There are sometimes the mosquitos are bad, but I still say it's not even 1% of what we had in Wisconsin (where I came from).

and the snow - We might have 1-6" at a time, but it melts within 3 days ... to me, that just PERFECT !

Last edited by GrannyLois; 05-17-2008 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: added mosquito info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol