Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM

24 posts, read 42,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I lived in southwest Florida for about 10 years and have lived in Knoxville for five. We love it here and consider it the best decision we have ever made.

There are a lot of areas that fit that bill. We have some wonderful neighborhoods and finding your spot should be very easy.

Also, the latest rate for unemployment in Knox County is 7.7 percent. That's leaps and bounds better than south Florida, but I would still encourage you to secure a job before moving. When we moved, it was during the housing and economic boom and my husband found a job within hours of arrival, but he went to two years of technical school to be a mechanic and had years of experience by the time we got here.

Lastly, I would encourage you to visit both cities to get the "feel" for which one will best fit you.
Thanks,
I will be coming up in the beginning of November for a week to check out the area. I've checked out Asheville before. My neighbor across the street from me said the cost of living in Asheville was about the same as south Florida. He lived there for about 20yrs and his mom still lives up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
So they are changing the retirement system. That stinks. I worked for the City of Lake Worth for 19 years in Finance and retired on Sept 30, 2009. YEAH. What dept do you work in? The City of Lake Worth used to be and could be a nice little town. They just need to get the wacko's out of office and run the city like it should be run. The City of Lake Worth used to be a nice place to work, I thought I would work until I died because I liked my job so much. And then things changed about five years ago for me. But now looking back, I guess it was a good thing for me.
And now we are moving to TN late Oct or Early Nov. and we can hardly wait. We are in the Southeast TN area. I didn't want to be on a mountain but close enough to go see them if I wanted to. And didn't want a lot of snow but close enough to go see it if I wanted to. So we ended up in between Athens, Sweetwater area. When we first when up there to look around we headed to Knoxville and once we got there it was nice but not quite what we were looking for. So we kept looking we knew we wanted East TN for sure. Since we grew up in FL we didn't want to get stuck on a mountain when it snowed and not be able to leave or get stuck in town and not be able to get home. So we decided that we wanted rolling land and not quite as much snow. That's how we ended up in Southeast TN. Looks like we are in the woods at the property but we are only about 15 mins to all the stores we need. We love it.
I wish you luck in your move. When are you planning to move? Renting is a good idea. Then you can research areas that you might like better.
I work in the Traffic/Streets division. I've been here 12yrs and I was planing on staying here until I got my 20yrs in but there basically cutting everything our medical and our pension and so on. I almost left a few years ago but I was already almost to my half way point of 10yrs so I stayed but I really have no reason to stay here now and I've been looking to move. Yeah I have a job but I'm not happy down here and looking for a more laid back life style and a slower pace of life. South Florida definitely doesn't have that. I wish you the best of luck on your move.
Russell

Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie517 View Post
Hi Russell,

I completely agree with you about south Florida! People are just so rude down here, the weather is awful, and I need a new chapter in my life. DELETED PER USER'S REQUEST. I wish you the best with deciding where to move. The most important thing is that you get out of here quick!!! Either place will be a welcomed change for you!

Julie
Hi Julie,

Yeah I was born down in Miami and moved up to palm beach county when I was about 6 and been here ever since. There's not many of us natives left down here. Pretty much we've all been pushed out. I'm also looking for a new chapter in my life and looking for the challenge. I will miss my family down here but there looking to leave this rat race down here soon also. I will give it my best effort and do the best I can where ever I move. I wish you the best on your move

Russell

Last edited by JMT; 09-15-2010 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,001 times
Knoxville job economy is slowly getting better. If anything, I think you'd be able to find a restaurant job pretty easily. $650 for a one bedrooom is completely doable here.
Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the reply,
That's good to hear that the economy is getting a little better up there.
I hope the job economy improves all around the country. I know it wont happen over night but hopefully sometime in the future.
I don't mind if I have to work a restaurant job or whatever I can find until I have a opportunity for an advancement. What section's of the city or even just outside of the city are good places to rent and live? I know pretty much every city has there sections to stay away from. Also is Maryville to the south a good city to live in? I don't mind commuting 20 or 30 mins to downtown Knoxville.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM

610 posts, read 1,624,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbell View Post
Thanks for the reply,
That's good to hear that the economy is getting a little better up there.
I hope the job economy improves all around the country. I know it wont happen over night but hopefully sometime in the future.
I don't mind if I have to work a restaurant job or whatever I can find until I have a opportunity for an advancement. What section's of the city or even just outside of the city are good places to rent and live? I know pretty much every city has there sections to stay away from. Also is Maryville to the south a good city to live in? I don't mind commuting 20 or 30 mins to downtown Knoxville.
Plenty surrounding towns 20-30 minutes to downtown. Yes, Maryville is a nice area. You can also check out Sevier Co, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, Strawberry Plains, and Powell areas. The sections to stay away from are mostly East Knoxville, and some areas of North Knox...check out City Data's crime map and you can google some other ones to get an idea.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I think with your experience you are best off looking for a job with a city/county government. You'll get benefits you won't see with restaurant jobs. My advice is to apply everywhere in E. TN. Just make phone calls - don't wait for a job announcement. That can help determine where you live - some places will require you live within that city or county. Then you can visit Knoxville on weekends if you aren't in the mountains.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Plenty surrounding towns 20-30 minutes to downtown. Yes, Maryville is a nice area. You can also check out Sevier Co, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, Strawberry Plains, and Powell areas. The sections to stay away from are mostly East Knoxville, and some areas of North Knox...check out City Data's crime map and you can google some other ones to get an idea.
Thanks for the info I will google that map and check it out.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think with your experience you are best off looking for a job with a city/county government. You'll get benefits you won't see with restaurant jobs. My advice is to apply everywhere in E. TN. Just make phone calls - don't wait for a job announcement. That can help determine where you live - some places will require you live within that city or county. Then you can visit Knoxville on weekends if you aren't in the mountains.
Thanks for the advice. When The time gets closer to the move I will do that. It would be great to try to find a job for the city, county or state if possible since I have experience. I know it's pretty hard right now to find a job in government pretty much everywhere because of the economy and the housing market. But hopefully the economic times will improve soon. Benefits are a plus

Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM

61 posts, read 131,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbell View Post
Hi Julie,

Yeah I was born down in Miami and moved up to palm beach county when I was about 6 and been here ever since. There's not many of us natives left down here. Pretty much we've all been pushed out. I'm also looking for a new chapter in my life and looking for the challenge. I will miss my family down here but there looking to leave this rat race down here soon also. I will give it my best effort and do the best I can where ever I move. I wish you the best on your move

Russell

The natives have definitely been pushed out of south Florida! My family is relocating as well....the whole family is ready to leave this terrible area! The areas that have been recommended to me have included Seymour and Maryville. They both seem to be just enough away from the city limits to have the small town feel that we are not used to in south Florida. Good luck with checking out the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville