Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times

Advertisements

Crime and crime statistics can be manipulated by methods of reporting and even how the statistics are categorized. Local crime reporting can make it seem worse or better than it really is. The numbers and types of crime here seemed to be magnified by the general lack of other news to report. In areas where there is lots of other events and many very similar crimes there will be less reports per number of events and only the more sensational is seen. It has nothing to do with people who are transplants looking to be in a safer and better environment. Increasing population people moving in does increase crime because criminals fear detection by those who know them less. In a very small town everyone knows the town drunk and the bad seeds thereby giving them less leeway to get away with something.

There has been very little change to this area (Maryville) in the last 3 years that I have seen, so obviously I am no where near the den thieves and criminals utvols has found himself/herself living in. There is no comparison between the parts of FL I've been to, and have had family living in, and here in the Knox region. You will find criminals in the smallest of towns, and seedy sections in almost any larger town or city. Increasing poverty will always bring out new desperate people who will attempt thefts. Mental illness knows no boundary and can be found anywhere.

The report about the woman who was cut when stopping to help occurred in Blount County outside of Maryville on a cold, rainy Sunday morning. The woman who attacked the Good Samaritan was only wearing a tank top and shorts. Maybe some would recognize that as a clue that maybe this is not so much a criminal but someone mentally ill. There is a difference, but for the statistics mentioned it might still be reported as such. If that is enough to make someone prefer the crime in Florida, then so be it. If this one mentally disturbed person is enough to make people change their mind about how nice TN, I don't mind... it means less people moving in and ruining a wonderful place. As far as I am concerned it is still safer here than many other places I have visited or lived in.

Police: Good Samaritan attacked and robbed on her way to church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM

851 posts, read 2,459,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvols View Post
Now don't get me wrong, Florida in my opinion is still by far alot worst than TN when it comes to crime.
I know for almost a fact that Rasbell will love it here. All I ask is if you choose this area for it's tranquility, good people, etc. etc. then please leave everything behind when you move here...including the rude attitude!

when you come from a place where you're accustumed to rudeness, it tends to stick to you. Hey it happened to me and I thank God I realized it and left it all behind.

I agree and understand what you are trying to say. But believe me that is why I'm leaving FL too. I do not like the rudeness either. I will leave that bagage behind for sure. And a lot of people that are leaving FL are leaving because of it. They have lived here for many, many years before the rudeness moved to FL.
Rasbell is from the same area as I am. He actually worked for the same place I retired from. And I am sooo glad to get out of there. I'm sure that he will love TN as I do, just the way it is.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvols View Post
Well that's great! Welcome to TN.
Thank you. I hope you have a great weekend.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Crime and crime statistics can be manipulated by methods of reporting and even how the statistics are categorized. Local crime reporting can make it seem worse or better than it really is. The numbers and types of crime here seemed to be magnified by the general lack of other news to report. In areas where there is lots of other events and many very similar crimes there will be less reports per number of events and only the more sensational is seen. It has nothing to do with people who are transplants looking to be in a safer and better environment. Increasing population people moving in does increase crime because criminals fear detection by those who know them less. In a very small town everyone knows the town drunk and the bad seeds thereby giving them less leeway to get away with something.

There has been very little change to this area (Maryville) in the last 3 years that I have seen, so obviously I am no where near the den thieves and criminals utvols has found himself/herself living in. There is no comparison between the parts of FL I've been to, and have had family living in, and here in the Knox region. You will find criminals in the smallest of towns, and seedy sections in almost any larger town or city. Increasing poverty will always bring out new desperate people who will attempt thefts. Mental illness knows no boundary and can be found anywhere.

The report about the woman who was cut when stopping to help occurred in Blount County outside of Maryville on a cold, rainy Sunday morning. The woman who attacked the Good Samaritan was only wearing a tank top and shorts. Maybe some would recognize that as a clue that maybe this is not so much a criminal but someone mentally ill. There is a difference, but for the statistics mentioned it might still be reported as such. If that is enough to make someone prefer the crime in Florida, then so be it. If this one mentally disturbed person is enough to make people change their mind about how nice TN, I don't mind... it means less people moving in and ruining a wonderful place. As far as I am concerned it is still safer here than many other places I have visited or lived in.

Police: Good Samaritan attacked and robbed on her way to church

Agreed. In all fairness, there have been many horrible crimes committed in this area since I was a kid and long before that. I would be wary of making assumptions that transplants are bringing the crime with them. East TN did not need transplants to bring oxycontin, meth, and crack to the area. It is of my opinion that the recent rise in crime is related to drug addiction more than random people from other states. Statistics also pretty much guarantee that as an area grows, the number of crimes committed will increase.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Agreed. In all fairness, there have been many horrible crimes committed in this area since I was a kid and long before that. I would be wary of making assumptions that transplants are bringing the crime with them. East TN did not need transplants to bring oxycontin, meth, and crack to the area. It is of my opinion that the recent rise in crime is related to drug addiction more than random people from other states. Statistics also pretty much guarantee that as an area grows, the number of crimes committed will increase.
Yes. And sometimes the opposite happens. What about those counties that are not growing at all but unemployment is rising and so is drug use? The crimes are rising there, too. It always comes back to drugs.

The Knox area has not seen wild growth. It has been slow and steady just like this economy. Knoxville did not see a wild, uncontrolled and irrational housing boom, either. And it has been winning. We have the best unemployment rate of the largest metro areas in the state. To suggest something else is going on is hyperbole and histrionics.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,790,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes. And sometimes the opposite happens. What about those counties that are not growing at all but unemployment is rising and so is drug use? The crimes are rising there, too. It always comes back to drugs.

The Knox area has not seen wild growth. It has been slow and steady just like this economy. Knoxville did not see a wild, uncontrolled and irrational housing boom, either. And it has been winning. We have the best unemployment rate of the largest metro areas in the state. To suggest something else is going on is hyperbole and histrionics.
You are both right, much of the crime seems to come down to stealing drugs, drug use, money needed for drug use or people on drugs doing stupid things if you ever get around to reading the story after it stops being the 6 o'clock news sound bite. That doesn't take any outsiders at all but I think it becomes a bigger problem when people feel they can hide and one of the best ways to hide is to be mixed in among people who don't know you. The larger the population the easier it is to *think* you can do things and get away with them. There are towns in the area where one hears of more frequent crime, even problems with the people who are supposed to be the law makers and enforcers, where it has been an issue since the days of moonshine.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
people feel they can hide and one of the best ways to hide is to be mixed in among people who don't know you.
Yeah. Welcome to Florida: Home of the wanted and the transient.

At least in Knoxville people are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until you prove otherwise. Down in Florida, no one trusts each other, and for good reason.

It's pretty hard to hide in Knoxville. Despite its size, everyone seems to know everyone else.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:30 AM

59 posts, read 173,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah. Welcome to Florida: Home of the wanted and the transient.
I'm not hating on Florida, I grew up here and it is my home (for now) but, I HAD to giggle at this because it is so true!! Lots and lots of transients here -- it is like there is a revolving door at the border.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwinfla View Post
I'm not hating on Florida, I grew up here and it is my home (for now) but, I HAD to giggle at this because it is so true!! Lots and lots of transients here -- it is like there is a revolving door at the border.

Same on the east coast. I think were about to have a population explosion in our area anyway.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowingly View Post
Yes, please don't misunderstand. My husband grew up there; lived there for 25 years. We easily have 30 family members in Lee County. But my heart is broken for the swFlorida that use to be. What they did to the area, especially in the last ten years, is inexcusable.

And it was so very difficult to make friends in that area. Everyone is just moving in or wanting to get out. No one cares about the real Florida. They are in their own little world. And the politicians know it. They lined their pockets and their constituents didn't notice because their allegiance was to Michigan or Ohio - back where they did things better, according to them.

It was nice to move here and be part of something permanent, where people actually care about the area. And the place isn't teaming with transplants so you are not just another number.

Occasionally you get a nasty post from someone complaining about people moving in. I have two things to say about that.

Where I am originally from, in Massachusetts, the town is all but dead. No one new moved in, the jobs left, and most of the kids I grew up with are long gone. No one wants that to happen.

And if you haven't lived in Florida - especially the south coasts and Orlando - you don't really know what we mean by a "transient city." This area doesn't even come close. Charlotte, North Carolina has seen some of that. But not Knoxville. And the chances are good that we won't. Fortunately, there are too many ignorant people out there that think this area is a stereotype. And that's fine with me.

During the housing boom in Florida there were some people that moved into Tennessee because they thought it was cheaper. But if they were superficial and not really wanting this lifestyle - laid-back, friendly, genuine - they either moved away or are on their way out. That's fine with me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville