Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
There are some TVA campgrounds that are pretty convenient. Don't know if they are open year round. Southlake RV is a commercial park closest to downtown. Or even a motel if the weather's bad. I imagine you'll want more than a day trip to chek out the city.
I've never been but I haven't heard good things about that campground. There are a couple of fairly good campgrounds off of Raccoon Valley Road and we stayed at the Soaring Eagle before we found a place to live Soaring Eagle Campground: Camping, Fishing, Tubing, and great family fun!. Nice people. I would also recommend the Cross-eyed Cricket, if they haven't retired, yet. Crosseyed Cricket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 AM

21 posts, read 56,259 times
A major factor for the rise in crime the past few years is the Rx drug epidemic. Oxy and other pain meds are the new addition to pot and meth, which have been around for awhile. A few months back Knox station WATE did a 1 hour special about the oxy issue. They interviewed law enforcement from south Florida - guess where? Palm Beach County. Great, now we get blamed for this as well LOL... Due to lax laws and oversight, these 'pain clinics' have blossomed over night. One guy they interviewed said the 'Doctor' simply told him to say his back hurt and presto...Rx.

I was down there a few weeks ago and while driving down the turnpike from Orlando I saw 2 billboards in 5 miles "Pain Clinic" and a different phone number on each, but both were "561" area code.

Another reason that you hear more about crime in the summer up here is that UT isn't playing a game somewhere. When it's football & basketball season, UT sports is the lead story most of the time. God Forbid if something happens to one of the players (hurt, arrested) or the staff. They break into normal programming to make sure you know. Again - its a different way of life and one of the very very few things you may have to adjust to when moving here. I was told that my biggest issue would be 'down shifting' to a slower pace of life. I handled it just fine.

BTW Rasbell, if you want to come up and don't have alot of time for driving, Allegiant Airlines has very cheap fares. They fly out of Orlando and also Ft. Lauderdale. I just flew down for $29 each way, plus taxes, etc.... Its only 1:40 trip from Orlando.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM

24 posts, read 42,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in TN View Post
A major factor for the rise in crime the past few years is the Rx drug epidemic. Oxy and other pain meds are the new addition to pot and meth, which have been around for awhile. A few months back Knox station WATE did a 1 hour special about the oxy issue. They interviewed law enforcement from south Florida - guess where? Palm Beach County. Great, now we get blamed for this as well LOL... Due to lax laws and oversight, these 'pain clinics' have blossomed over night. One guy they interviewed said the 'Doctor' simply told him to say his back hurt and presto...Rx.

I was down there a few weeks ago and while driving down the turnpike from Orlando I saw 2 billboards in 5 miles "Pain Clinic" and a different phone number on each, but both were "561" area code.

Another reason that you hear more about crime in the summer up here is that UT isn't playing a game somewhere. When it's football & basketball season, UT sports is the lead story most of the time. God Forbid if something happens to one of the players (hurt, arrested) or the staff. They break into normal programming to make sure you know. Again - its a different way of life and one of the very very few things you may have to adjust to when moving here. I was told that my biggest issue would be 'down shifting' to a slower pace of life. I handled it just fine.

BTW Rasbell, if you want to come up and don't have alot of time for driving, Allegiant Airlines has very cheap fares. They fly out of Orlando and also Ft. Lauderdale. I just flew down for $29 each way, plus taxes, etc.... Its only 1:40 trip from Orlando.
I know what you mean, I see it first hand down here. The pain clinics give pain prescriptions out like candy. Wow that's a good deal on the flight thanks for the info. I'm just going to drive up. I have all my camping gear to bring along with me.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 AM

I just got back last night from my trip up to the area. I really liked the Maryville area. It was a lot bigger and better then I imagined. I also checked out the Knoxville area and it really wasn't what I was looking for to live in. I also got to hike out in the snow while I was up there. I really enjoyed my trip up there and look forward on moving up next summer.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,795,197 times
Glad you liked it! I missed playing in the snow because we went out of town.... but it was just as cold there. Good luck with the move and keep us posted.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:41 PM

The time has finally come and the choice to Relocate is much easier now. I was laid off from the city along with 69 other employee's after being with the city for 13 years. I will be making a trip up around the Maryville area in a few weeks to Secure a House or Apartment to rent. I'm looking to move up around the middle of July. I'm thinking the Daily Times Newspaper and Remax would be a good choice to use to find a place. I'm not sure What other souces would be good to check out.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 PM

61 posts, read 131,862 times
Default Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbell View Post
The time has finally come and the choice to Relocate is much easier now. I was laid off from the city along with 69 other employee's after being with the city for 13 years. I will be making a trip up around the Maryville area in a few weeks to Secure a House or Apartment to rent. I'm looking to move up around the middle of July. I'm thinking the Daily Times Newspaper and Remax would be a good choice to use to find a place. I'm not sure What other souces would be good to check out.

Good luck with the search! I will be leaving south Florida and joining you in Maryville this summer, and I am so excited to finally be making the move. I HAVE to get out of Florida!!! The Daily Times classifieds online are great. Be sure to also buy an actual Daily Times newspaper while you visit because I noticed that some houses are listed in the print classifieds, and not online. Craigslist is also another good source. I have realized that good home rentals are very competitive right now in Maryville, so if you find one that interests you, call or e-mail them right away. Congratulations on making the decision to move!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie517 View Post
Good luck with the search! I will be leaving south Florida and joining you in Maryville this summer, and I am so excited to finally be making the move. I HAVE to get out of Florida!!! The Daily Times classifieds online are great. Be sure to also buy an actual Daily Times newspaper while you visit because I noticed that some houses are listed in the print classifieds, and not online. Craigslist is also another good source. I have realized that good home rentals are very competitive right now in Maryville, so if you find one that interests you, call or e-mail them right away. Congratulations on making the decision to move!
Thanks Julie, This will be a nice change for the both of us. Yes it will be a nice feeling looking in your rearview mirror and saying good bye to Florida, but I will be back down to visit my folks a few times a year. Ive been looking at the daily times online also and that's good info to know that not all listings are there. Congratulations on your move also and Good luck!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,283,242 times
Love to hear how you like your trip to Maryville. We're thinking of checking it out too.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm officially a Tennessee resident now. I found a nice place in south Knoxville and could not be happier. Thank you to everybody for the helpful input and information on choosing the right location in east Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville