Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times

Advertisements

I just have to put a plug in for our local cops. I think they are some of the best. In fact, if you pray, say a prayer for an officer that was shot two days ago. I believe that he is still in critical condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,301 times
Choosing between Knoxville and Chattanooga is totally a personal preference. It's like saying "Should I choose Chunky Monkey or Peanut Butter Parfait?" You're just going to have to taste them and see. Knoxville tends to have more businesses and mid-level employment opps, while Chattanooga has more cultural opps. Chattanooga has done a better job of developing its riverfront and revitalizing its downtown. Knoxville is larger. Knoxville has the university and the sports.

But the comment about Knoxville being middle class and Chattanooga being upper middle class is not just an opinion, it's inaccurate. That's the problem with relying on unknown people on internet forums to influence major life decisions. People confuse fact with opinion, make sweeping generalizations that may or may not apply and treat their personal bias as a world view. Some are genuinely trying to be helpful; others are shamelessly promoting their own agenda.

It really is a matter of where YOU feel at home and nobody knows that but you. But don't take my word for it.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
But the comment about Knoxville being middle class and Chattanooga being upper middle class is not just an opinion, it's inaccurate.
I hadn't noticed that remark before. That's hilarious!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Don't come to Cleveland unless you are just interested in God and Walmart.

I would take Knoxville anyday, heck that was one of my 2 sole reasons for moving there this summer, the university and to get the heck out of the Cleveland/Chattanooga area.

Not even to mention the job market seems better in Knoxville, haven't looked yet so hopefully I am right, can't be worst the an here, it took me 6 months to find work.

Plus it just seems that Knoxville is more alive than Chattanooga, which Chattanooga is all but dead.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 AM

58 posts, read 192,824 times
I have lived in both. And I think that they both have their good points as well as bad. I would suggest that you visit each.

I love that Chattanooga has revived the downtown area with the Riverwalk and kid friendly things to do. However, so many people have migrated outwards that the traffic there is a little disappointing and I think that I-24/75 is always under construction - or at least it seems to have been for the past 10 years. Most of my friends have moved to Cleveland or N GA after they had children for schools/housing.

I love Knoxville because of the parks and proximity to the mountains. There seem to be lots of job opportunities here. I will say that I have never encountered so many people begging for money as I have here. I have lived all over the US and it is insane to me that people will come up to you in the Wal Mart parking lot and ask for money. I even had one come up to me while my son was puking in a bucket in our car (I was at the another grocery store to pick-up Pedialyte), stood there waiting while he finished, and then proceeded to ask me for money. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I have been here all of 4 months and I have been asked for money at least 7 times during the daylight hours. I guess that is just a part of being in a bigger city. There is always something going on here, so you would never be bored.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,301 times
I have never been asked for money here. I've never even SEEN a beggar or a homeless person in Knoxville. I know they must exist, but I picked up a package at the Greyhound Bus Terminal, and I didn't even see them there.

Surely you've never been to L.A. It's shocking and depressing how many street people you'll see there, especially near the beach-- as if that would soften the blow.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Yes. I have seen the homeless in Knoxville, but no one asked me for money, unlike Florida. However, the Fourth and Gill contingent reports a lot of people knocking on doors with scams such as "my wife is sitting in my car at the BP and my debit card is not working. Could you lend me $20." A lot of that.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 AM

58 posts, read 192,824 times
Well, I am on the E side....Maybe I should have listened to the realtors? Even with what I said, I personally would live here over Chattanooga. There is just way more to do here and I like to stay busy. Just a personal choice...

Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just have to put a plug in for our local cops. I think they are some of the best. In fact, if you pray, say a prayer for an officer that was shot two days ago. I believe that he is still in critical condition.
I was very impressed with Knoxville PD as well, I won't elaborate much but as I said before the police scene in any state/county/city is also relevant to its politics, something most people don't notice but also should look out for if they are relocating.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,397 times
I don't know if you are still looking for info, but here are the stats from Places Rated Almanac 2007:

Population...Chatty 498,656 and Knoxville 671,810

These are out of 379 possible. The lower the score the better:

Ambience... Chatty 48th and Knoxville 21st

Housing cost for starter home...Chatty 129,400 and Knoxville 141,500

Job outlook... Chatty ranked 166 and Knoxville 62

Crime...Chatty 316 and Knoxville 220

Recreation... Chatty 114 and Knoxville 61

Transportation...Chatty 184 and Knoxville 101

Education...Chatty 227 and Knoxville 132

Health Care... Chatty 96 and Knoxville 117 (note,Johnson City ranked 13th)

Climate...Chatty 222 and Knoxville 288

Overall ranking ... Chatty 122 and Knoxville 31
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville