Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,389 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move south from upstate NY. Can someone compare these two cities? Weather, economy, people, city feel, schools? We are a family of 4, 2 middle school age kids. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Default hmmm.....

Tough one there. I would say more toward Knoxville from a weather standpoint as that is about the end of the "tornado alley" I have been here 10 years and can't recall a tornado from Knoxville East. I know Cleveland, which is a town just east of Chat, is really growing and I hear the schools are good, I have also heard the schools are GREAT in Maryville, which is just south of Knoxville and North Knox also seem to have good schools too. As for Chattanooga its self, when I went through there, It seemed kinda on the dirty side to me, but I might just be a prude hahahhaha.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,312 times
Default Knoxville or Chattanooga

Chattanooga, hands down. Before those Knox natives get upset about my post, read the whole thing because I do note some positives! What I found in Knoxville was constant interstate construction, suburban sprawl, strip malls for dozens of miles. Don't mean to disrespect Knoxville, it just lacks in a lot of areas. I have lived in both Chattanooga and Knoxville, and can tell you a few things. There's not much going on in downtown Knoxville. It's a "one horse town" (meaning football) to quote my former employer at my interview when he asked why on earth I moved from Chattanooga to Knoxville. I found Knoxville to be far dirtier, and with a HUGE homeless population, even saw quite a few in the more expensive subruban areas. The weather in both cities is just about exctly the same, except Knoxville gets more snow (though only averages a foot a year). People in Chattanooga and Knoxville are very different from one another. What I found as a whole (speaking very broadly here), Knoxville folks are a bit more down to earth, and some Chattanooga folks think their city is the "bees knees" in a sort of uppity way. But I prefer urban to suburban, so I suppose Chattanooga is really a personal preference. Chattanooga has really developed both sides of the river for tourists and locals, and is a great walking town. Knoxville isn't bad, but the two cities are very different. Knoxville has much better employment opportunity. I don't know much about Knoxville schools, but UT is a most excellent university. Chattanooga has some good magnet schools, including Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences (dowtown K-12), and some good suburban schools.

Last edited by McMar; 08-29-2006 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 AM

55 posts, read 345,330 times
Default also relocating to Tennessee

Hi Everyone
This is my first time on this site, and find it very interesting, since we are also considering moving to either Chattanooga or Knoxville area. I am originally from NY transferred to Texas and now live in S Florida and hate it here. The weather is too hot and the people unfriendly and prices too high. Being from Long Island originally I miss the trees, the flowers, they can keep these Palm trees!! and people who are friendly.. I don't want alot of snow like in NY but a little change in the weather and cooler temps would be great again. I am a little concerned with Tornadoes,, but then again we just went thru another Hurricane... and would REally like too know how the roads are! I have a fear of heights and they have ALL these overpasses here, which I will not drive..and bridges! If some one could let me know this I would appreciate it...and which town would be the best for work opportunity and housing,,, also my grandchildren are coming and need to know about the schools.
Tennesse bound

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,265 times
Live in Knoxville for about 38 years, and my son was in school in Cleveland,at Lee University and he lived in Chatt for nearly 3 yrs. We visited several times, and My vote is Knoxville. You can get all the school info from this site, and town sizes etc. You would need to visit , to get a better feel, and see the differences.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:46 PM

66 posts, read 249,710 times
Knoxville and Chattanooga are actually much more alike than different. Never really heard of extreme weather (i.e. tornado) in either city due to the mountains. Chattanooga's downtown is a bit more developed, but Knoxville is closing fast. Knoxville does have much more suburbia. I think the MAJOR plus for Knoxville over Chattanooga is the public school system. Knoxville has many great public schools at all levels, but I found the public schools in Chattanooga are somewhat dubious. Both cities have beautiful areas and dirty areas, just like any other city. Never really noticed a "homeless problem" in Knoxville, and I spend a lot of time downtown both working during the day and "playing" at night. We love the downtown movie theatre, music scene, restaurants in Knoxville, but also love the aquarium in Chattanooga.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Knoxville averages a foot of snow a year? Maybe 50 years ago! Knoxville now averages probably 2-4 inches a year (at most).

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Chattanooga, hands down. Before those Knox natives get upset about my post, read the whole thing because I do note some positives! What I found in Knoxville was constant interstate construction, suburban sprawl, strip malls for dozens of miles. Don't mean to disrespect Knoxville, it just lacks in a lot of areas. I have lived in both Chattanooga and Knoxville, and can tell you a few things. There's not much going on in downtown Knoxville. It's a "one horse town" (meaning football) to quote my former employer at my interview when he asked why on earth I moved from Chattanooga to Knoxville. I found Knoxville to be far dirtier, and with a HUGE homeless population, even saw quite a few in the more expensive subruban areas. The weather in both cities is just about exctly the same, except Knoxville gets more snow (though only averages a foot a year). People in Chattanooga and Knoxville are very different from one another. What I found as a whole (speaking very broadly here), Knoxville folks are a bit more down to earth, and some Chattanooga folks think their city is the "bees knees" in a sort of uppity way. But I prefer urban to suburban, so I suppose Chattanooga is really a personal preference. Chattanooga has really developed both sides of the river for tourists and locals, and is a great walking town. Knoxville isn't bad, but the two cities are very different. Knoxville has much better employment opportunity. I don't know much about Knoxville schools, but UT is a most excellent university. Chattanooga has some good magnet schools, including Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences (dowtown K-12), and some good suburban schools.
All of this is highly opinionated, no problem with opinions, but some of it ridiculous. Knoxville hasn't had a foot of snow in years, think 1993 when the blizzard hit the entire eastern U.S. Knox is better by far. Just compare the growth rates over the last 20-30 years, Knox County vs. Hamilton County. That indicates which is the more desirable of the two counties.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
All of this is highly opinionated, no problem with opinions, but some of it ridiculous. Knoxville hasn't had a foot of snow in years, think 1993 when the blizzard hit the entire eastern U.S. Knox is better by far. Just compare the growth rates over the last 20-30 years, Knox County vs. Hamilton County. That indicates which is the more desirable of the two counties.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Chattanooga metro: ~400,000 1-2% growth rate
Knoxville metro: ~700,000 (800,000+ w/ Sevier Co) 3-4% growth rate

Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Chattanooga metro: ~400,000 1-2% growth rate
Knoxville metro: ~700,000 (800,000+ w/ Sevier Co) 3-4% growth rate
Actually, Knox and the surrounding eight counties (the real metro despite the Commerce Dept designation) will have a population of around 1,000,000 after the next census, based on the previous census growth rate percentages. All the eight surrounding counties and Knox are pretty integrated as far as education, commerce, travel, communications, and other factors are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville