Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:51 AM

74 posts, read 220,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR AND CHARLA View Post
we lived in the sevierville area for three years,been thru jones cove many times,a few areas people do not take care of, but most was nice,never a problem-try living here in so. california,makes jones cove a beautiful place.
thanks for the info,never want to live in Cali, but as you liked the Jones Cove area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,880 times
I am afraid that anyone defending places like Jones Cove has just been local far too long and no longer objective. To direct anyone to buy a home there when relocating is selling them to the lions.
I live off Newport Hwy, near New Center. This is hard enough but when showing homes, realtors loved to try and sell the Jones Cove ones. They just didn't sell and for good reason.
They are everything negative everyone has said and if you know different, you know the exception. Most roads off Jones Cove Rd are downright scary, even in the daytime. The poverty level has to be through the roof, dogs run everywhere, hunters, (gunshots are normal) run down properties, the local paper has plenty of arrests of JC residents like the rest of the county...I actually hear good things about the school but what do I know, right?
I don't say the people are bad, I just say it is a very different way of life. It is remote and twisty, deep into the woods basically. There's pretty much one small store there and nope...they don't like or trust outsiders. There is no way emergency personnel could even make it that far back without leaving crumbs to find their way out, is there? Oh, and you dang sight better be goin to church if you live there. Isn't the nearest high school about 45 miles away or does it just seem that way? Sevier County is not for the sqeamish.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM

69 posts, read 232,411 times
[quote=gemthornton;1308738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxBrian View Post
Wasn't Deliverence filmed in Polk county near Copper Hill and Ducktown?

I hate to get back to the "Deliverance" angle again, but it was actually filmed in Tallulah Gorge in Tallulah, GA and on the Chattooga River dividing SC and GA. Although, the surroundings are as beautiful as they are in TN. Thankfully, it was a fictional story.

Sorry to butt in with this off-the-thread comment, but it seems to keep coming back.

No matter what the reference, I think we are all looking for the opinions of those who know various areas. Then, we can make of it as we wish. I'll stick to Blount and Knox counties.
The Dillard house in Dillard GA still has the autographed picture of Burt Reynolds and other cast members on the wall! My husband is from Clayton & actually knows people who were extras in the movie!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:30 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicaabc View Post
The Dillard house in Dillard GA still has the autographed picture of Burt Reynolds and other cast members on the wall! My husband is from Clayton & actually knows people who were extras in the movie!!!
That's really neat that your husband is from Clayton! That's such a beautiful area. My family has been going to the Dillard House since the 1930s. Even though the Dillard House is NOTHING like it used to be, I still prefer it to anything in Gatlinburg. I drive all the way from Knoxville to Dillard just for their apple butter!

Last edited by JMT; 10-22-2007 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
[quote=JMT;1801974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicaabc View Post

That's really neat that your husband is from Clayton! That's such a beautiful area. My family has been going to the Dillard House since the 1930s. Even though the Dillard House is NOTHING like it used to be, I still prefer it to anything in Gatlinburg. I drive all the way from Knoxville to Dillard just for their apple butter!
Is that is same Dillard house that is just south of Murphy NC?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM

[quote=mbmouse;1802125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Is that is same Dillard house that is just south of Murphy NC?
That's it! It's in north Georgia just a few hundred yards from the NC state line. It's directly south of Franklin NC which isn't too far from Murphy NC. It's got a gigantic restaurant that serves country cooking that is definitely worth the drive.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Smile Directions, please.

[quote=JMT;1802149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post

That's it! It's in north Georgia just a few hundred yards from the NC state line. It's directly south of Franklin NC which isn't too far from Murphy NC. It's got a gigantic restaurant that serves country cooking that is definitely worth the drive.

Would you supply directions from 321 in Maryville. We will be spending a week in M'ville at Thanksgiving. Would love to visit Dillards. Thanks much.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM

[quote=Suzanne1945;1802239]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Would you supply directions from 321 in Maryville. We will be spending a week in M'ville at Thanksgiving. Would love to visit Dillards. Thanks much.
That's a good one. I'm not sure of the easiest way to get from Maryville to Dillard. Do NOT take 129 over the mountains, it's a beautiful drive but torturous with something like 8000 curves in the road (a slight exaggeration, but it'll seem like it).

Just check with mapquest and see how it directs you to get from Maryville TN to Dillard GA. Its directions will probably be more reliable than mine.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Smile Don't know what happened with the quote line, but do see Dillard House!

[quote=JMT;1802149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post

Somehow, I got tangled in this thread in one of JMT's posts that sounds like I said that my husband was born in Clayton, GA. Hmmmm. Don't know what happened there, but last time I asked him, he was born in Bethlehem, PA!

I did comment earlier that the movie Deliverance was filmed in Tallulah Gorge a few miles south of Dillard and Clayton, GA. In fact, some of the crew and cast stayed at the Dillard House while filming there. Just an interesting fact on a truly beautiful part of the SE. If you ever have the opportunity, try to visit the gorge. Breathtaking!

Georgia State Parks - Tallulah Gorge State Park

Dillard House, Dillard, Georgia

Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post

Somehow, I got tangled in this thread in one of JMT's posts that sounds like I said that my husband was born in Clayton, GA. Hmmmm. Don't know what happened there, but last time I asked him, he was born in Bethlehem, PA!

I did comment earlier that the movie Deliverance was filmed in Tallulah Gorge a few miles south of Dillard and Clayton, GA. In fact, some of the crew and cast stayed at the Dillard House while filming there. Just an interesting fact on a truly beautiful part of the SE. If you ever have the opportunity, try to visit the gorge. Breathtaking!

Georgia State Parks - Tallulah Gorge State Park

Dillard House, Dillard, Georgia
Sorry about that! For some reason it looked like I was quoting you instead of monicaabc. I made the change.

But you're right, Tallulah Gorge is beautiful!! It's the jewel in Georgia's state parks system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville