Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskerbibel View Post
Within the Knoxville city limits, a non-religious mixed-race person can do just fine. But step outside the metropolitan area, and you're in Deliverance Country. I grew up there, so I know what I'm talking about. I left immediately after high school, and I've lived in several states and cities since.

And in my experience, East Tennessee would be hard to top when it comes to overt racism and aggressive Christianity. Even East Texas was laid-back by comparison.

Maryville would probably be ok- though they'll have their share of ignorant hicks like any place in TN. I would not recommend Seveirville. And just don't go anywhere north of Knoxville. If you ain't a meth-addled Baptist, you won't fit in.
So, this opinion is from the perspective of a person just out of high school, and outdated at that. Got to love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
East Knoxville has some great well integrated neighborhoods. Holston hills is refined and leafy and favored by academic types. Parkridge is bohemian and edgy with Victorian houses and craftsman cottages.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
The entire city is integrated. Mindful of this post, I counted seven mixed relationships at West Town Mall this past weekend. That's an awful lot for someone that wasn't going out of their way looking for them.
Holston Hills and Parkridge are surrounded by some of the worst areas in the city but you certainly don't need to be banished to there in order to be accepted. However, I'm shaking my darn head at these bold-faced myths that seem to be turning up on this forum, lately. Cross burnings, OP? If that were still happening, wouldn't you think it would be making national news? I'm becoming suspicious of a lot of these questions.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Excuse me. I think someone would chose those neighborhoods because of their positive attributes. Many people do. Some of my friends chose Holston Hills becasue they wanted their kids to grow up in a well integrated neighborhood. That seems to be troubling to you.

I find it very offensive that you would use the word banish.

And spreading misinformation to boot. Please look up the word "surrounded".

Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM

You think that having a multi-racial neighborhood is troubling to me? If you only knew me you'd realize how silly that notion is but it is also extremely offensive. You have no idea what constitutes my family, my children, for starters. Do you know that my first born, a young man that was born in 1978, is half-black?

My point is that people of any ethnicity, race, religion are more than welcome in any neighborhood in this city and they don't need to move to an area where there are high-crime areas. Parkridge is surrounded by bad areas. In fact, an argument can be made that IT is a bad area. Holston Hills is at least bordered by the river but it is also just off of Magnolia and not far from there is an area that has issues. In fact, I posted an article about that nearby area not that long ago.

The notion that this family would be more comfortable in either neighborhood makes my blood boil. Perhaps you are steering them to that area because you have investment property there?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Road pig brought up East Knoxville. That is why I commented on those neighborhoods.

I have no financial interest in Holston Hills. I just happen to think it is a beautiful neighborhood. I do have rental property in Parkridge but not a size suitable for families.

I am boggled that you think the entire city of Knoxville has the exact same racial composition anywhere. You don't seem to comprehend that some people will seek out a good neighborhood with racial diversity. ISTR you used to live in one. I hope you have PMed the posters who are looking for that.

Yes, opinions will vary on Parkridge. But I suspect you are the only person here who has driven through Holston Hills and still think it is not a "good" neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM

A) The OP never asked about racially diverse neighborhoods. In fact, she lamented that some people are racially segregated. She only wants to know if she will be treated differently. The answer is NO without having to shepherd into some sort of "acceptable" neighborhood of your liking.

B) Parkridge is not even close to being gentrified. Cherry Street, known for prostitution, is a city-wide joke. Trying to get anyone to move in there, especially based on race makes me ill.

C) You never answered Road Pig's question.

D) I never said that Holston Hill's wasn't good. I said it bordered a bad neighborhood. You know that I know it well, that I use to work near there.

E) I would NOT recommend my former neighborhood and do NOT tell me what I should or shouldn't message to people. While we are on the subject, quit sending me messages about what I should or shouldn't say in my posts. Why don't you tell them about your dump of a neighborhood or do you not have any rentals available? Or are you uncomfortable with them being your neighbors? Hmmmm?

Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM

I have nothing available in my neighborhood at this time. I did show an apartment recently in South Knox county to a young AA lady. Please quit accusing me of steering. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

My neighborhood is not a dump. I do have a few AA neighbors (not many) and I get along with the one who is a homeowner just fine. I do not know the others.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM

72 posts, read 294,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
So, this opinion is from the perspective of a person just out of high school, and outdated at that. Got to love it!
I left immediately after high school. Moved back a couple years later and stayed for 3 years. Left again and it's been 13 years since I've been back for more than a visit. No plans to return, though I do keep up with family there.

Do you reckon I'm more credible now that I've bored you with some unnecessary details?

Here's an unnecessary detail: When I was a kid in the mid-80's, we lived about 30 miles outside of Knoxville. I only ever went to school with ONE black kid- and only for one year. There was a Mexican kid one time too- they didn't stick around long though. My barber was a Klansman- AND a county commissioner.

Now things have changed, and it's not as bad these days as it used to be. My brother says that you see a black guy in town once in a while these days- that was unheard of when I was a kid. But don't tell that to the Southern Sons who meet just down the road from my parents' house. And it's not like they're hiding either- they have SIGNS posted so their white-power buddies know where to meet.

Look, these folks can move wherever they want- I'm not trying to talk them out of it. They'll be fine in Knoxville. I'm just saying that things are different out in the sticks.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,184 times
well then. What were we talking about again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville