Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM

122 posts, read 263,861 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I have posted on other forums but never the Knoxville forum. I hope that all the locals will receive me favorably. I'm a former Knoxville resident wanting to move back to the area (the Karns area). I have been away for around 15 years. Boy does it sound like things have changed since then, especially in West Knoxville. My family lives in Mississippi and when we traveled to visit we would always take the Lovell Rd. Exit (same as Hwy. 133 I believe) to get onto I-40. There was hardly anything there -- mainly fields. In fact, Lovell Rd. was two lane. I took a tour on Google Earth down to street view and WOW how things have changed. I hear that the downtown area has drastically changed as well, and Pellissippi Pkwy. goes down to Maryville and plans to keep on extending it.

Anyway, it is my dream to move back to the area and get back to the south where I was born and raised. I currently live in Missouri, near St. Louis. It's a nice area with beautiful hills (Ozarks), but nothing like East TN. I'm currently looking at the Maryville area. I guess my question is, does anyone know where to get a map detailing and outlining all the subdivisions in Maryville and Blount county. Knox county will be good also. My plan is to take a little mini vacation around the middle of October with my family. While at it, I can sneak in looking at some of the subdivisions Any help or point me in the right direction would be most appreciative!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You might want to visit before narrowing down the area.

Yes, things have changed a lot. Downtown is probably the nicest it has EVER been. Called scruffy and ugly, the city has struggled for many, many years but seems to hit its stride in the past few years. I think you'll be stunned to see it. And looking at street view will not give you the real picture since those photos were taken in 2007. It's kind of amazing to see the difference in just six years.

You might want to use this map to look for a house. It's not what you requested, I'm not aware of a subdivision map, but this one is very useful.

http://public.kaarmls.com/listings/s...MapSearch.asp?

Anyway, I'm a transplant but welcome back!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:17 PM

148 posts, read 305,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
Greetings! I have posted on other forums but never the Knoxville forum. I hope that all the locals will receive me favorably. I'm a former Knoxville resident wanting to move back to the area (the Karns area). I have been away for around 15 years. Boy does it sound like things have changed since then, especially in West Knoxville. My family lives in Mississippi and when we traveled to visit we would always take the Lovell Rd. Exit (same as Hwy. 133 I believe) to get onto I-40. There was hardly anything there -- mainly fields. In fact, Lovell Rd. was two lane. I took a tour on Google Earth down to street view and WOW how things have changed. I hear that the downtown area has drastically changed as well, and Pellissippi Pkwy. goes down to Maryville and plans to keep on extending it.

Anyway, it is my dream to move back to the area and get back to the south where I was born and raised. I currently live in Missouri, near St. Louis. It's a nice area with beautiful hills (Ozarks), but nothing like East TN. I'm currently looking at the Maryville area. I guess my question is, does anyone know where to get a map detailing and outlining all the subdivisions in Maryville and Blount county. Knox county will be good also. My plan is to take a little mini vacation around the middle of October with my family. While at it, I can sneak in looking at some of the subdivisions Any help or point me in the right direction would be most appreciative!!

Try the following link for Blount county they have several different maps. I noticed most county has these types of maps. Some have more info than others. Jefferson county has one that has a lot more info and can do different type of search

Blount County GIS Group - Map Gallery

Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Thanks Hik!!!

I have read many of your posts on this forum and appreciate your excellent wisdom and advice.

Oh yes, we will do a lot of visiting before we narrow down a place. Will no doubt rent for a while at first before purchasing a home. I will definitely take a look at the link you posted. It would be great if there was some kind of map outlining the different subdivisions.

Google earth is an amazing tool but it certainly doesn't replace being there in person. Can't wait to see the downtown area after 15 years (as well as the rest of the area). I remember seeing a lot of run down and dilapidated buildings.

Things have to fall into place just right before we make the move. With any luck maybe next summer we can make the move. Just have to convince the wife

Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Thanks so much for the link Richard!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Knoxville has a GIS map as well and I scoured it before I replied but alas, no subdivision layer. Everything but, it seemed!

If it is meant to be it will fall into place. I know that it did for me. I hadn't planned on moving to Knoxville for at least a year and within the month, boom, there I was in Knoxville!

P.S. Thanks for the kind words!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM

Found this link. It gives a listing of all the subdivisions; you can click on one and it will show you where it is on a map. But, the map doesn't outline all the subdivisions.

Thanks again.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 06:21 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 AM

I checked that website for Knoxville and it did NOT give all of the subdivisions. In fact, there were glaring omissions but there were a lot of place names for older areas in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville