Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 AM

112 posts, read 117,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
Indeed. This was my confusion with this thread and why I've withheld commenting on it. I'm not certain the OP provided a clear definition of "progressive" or what it means from the author's perspective. Much of what has been said either runs counter to what I consider progressive or is a fairly universal trait among people from various political beliefs. I think a lot of people have over reacted and behaved with excessive defensiveness to the OP, but a lot of this could have been avoided if they had been more specific. "Progressive" or "conservative" can be very loaded terms... especially with how divisive politics are these days.

More importantly, I'm not sure if it is good for someone to segregate themselves based on political opinions to begin with. It might be easier than dealing with those who are different than yourself, but it seems like it would be better for everyone if we could learn to actually talk, interact and respect one another even if we don't always agree. Some of my friends consider me to be very progressive yet I still have no problem living with, respecting and getting along with conservatives. (I don't like to label myself but I do recognize I do tend to lean more progressive on certain things.) I think learning how to communicate and work with people who have diverse opinions or perspectives is much healthier than living in an area that is dominated by one or the other.

Anyway, it will depend on the OP's definition of "progressive" for me to accurately answer this question. If all you're looking for is an organic food market, then West Knoxville has a LOT of places for that. There is organic produce everywhere and I think a lot of the local farmers refrain from using chemicals even if they aren't going to bother with getting a license from the government. It's probably best to inquire about and research the chemicals you're most concerned with first, though, instead of blindly buying up whatever is labeled organic. I mean, I am personally more concerned with eating heirloom vegetables and avoiding GMOs than the chemicals which I know how to wash off with the right solution.

I know precisely what she means by 'progressive'.

I'm from the Tampa area, for more than 40 years I watch these people destroy and entire state. They moved in in droves, 800 to 900 families a day throughtout the 80s and 90s.

FL has become a concrete jungle of human debris, not the oasis it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM

186 posts, read 485,885 times
I read all 5 pages. I hope that I will live to see the day when individuals are judged by "the content of their character", and not stereotyped into a group or "class" of people.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 12,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
I know precisely what she means by 'progressive'.

I'm from the Tampa area, for more than 40 years I watch these people destroy and entire state. They moved in in droves, 800 to 900 families a day throughtout the 80s and 90s.

FL has become a concrete jungle of human debris, not the oasis it once was.

I have to agree with you on this. I am from SW Florida and this area here has been destroyed by all the growth. What was once a very lovely and unique place has been turned into a concrete jungle of condos and strip malls.

The new comers all roll in here thinking they are here to save us from ourselves and want to change everything so it's just like it was wherever they came from up north. Well if it was so great up there why did you move here in the first place.

We can't wait to move up to Tennessee next year. And you can believe me when I say I have no intention of trying to change anything there. It is my intent to blend in and as they say "go along to get along".

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Bring your money and leave your progressive ideals where you found them.

mod cut

We all have plenty of guns round here, keeps the peace, even among the progressives.
This is the real Tennessee attitude. Progressive and Tennessee don't go together at all.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is the real Tennessee attitude. Progressive and Tennessee don't go together at all.
That guy is from Florida, hasn't been here that long.

That's for starters.

He also lives in Cocke County. Parrotsville. Not exactly Knoxville area territory. Seems like he lives closer to you.

And take a look at his posts before he was removed from the forum. That, alone, speaks volumes. The internet attracts all kinds, folks that might need to speak with someone about their issues.

I understand that you are bitter but you live in the Tri-Cities. Maybe that area is far different than Knoxville, I don't know. But I'm from Massachusetts, an area considered to be very "progressive" by many. (I won't get into my thoughts on that.) But you don't know the "real" attitude of people in Knoxville, you don't live here.

swfl__ff: I lived in the Fort Myers-Naples Corridor for about nine years. I've been in Knoxville for eight and love it. Some people have difficulties wherever they go.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That guy is from Florida, hasn't been here that long.

That's for starters.

He also lives in Cocke County. Parrotsville. Not exactly Knoxville area territory. Seems like he lives closer to you.

And take a look at his posts before he was removed from the forum. That, alone, speaks volumes. The internet attracts all kinds, folks that might need to speak with someone about their issues.

I understand that you are bitter but you live in the Tri-Cities. Maybe that area is far different than Knoxville, I don't know. But I'm from Massachusetts, an area considered to be very "progressive" by many. (I won't get into my thoughts on that.) But you don't know the "real" attitude of people in Knoxville, you don't live here.

swfl__ff: I lived in the Fort Myers-Naples Corridor for about nine years. I've been in Knoxville for eight and love it. Some people have difficulties wherever they go.
I agree some people have difficulties no matter where they are. Not much you to change that or change them. I live in the Naples/Bonita area and have been here since the mid 70's. The changes I have seen here are mind numbing. It sure is not the place it use to be.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfl_ff View Post
I agree some people have difficulties no matter where they are. Not much you to change that or change them. I live in the Naples/Bonita area and have been here since the mid 70's. The changes I have seen here are mind numbing. It sure is not the place it use to be.
People that remember Florida the way it used to be, and miss that, seem to really like this area.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
People that remember Florida the way it used to be, and miss that, seem to really like this area.
I am very glad to hear that. We had done a lot of research on different states and cities before deciding on Tennessee for various reasons. We like the mild change of seasons, low cost of living and friendliness of the people. I am already retired and my wife will be retiring in the spring so while we may take part time jobs we are not in need of full time employment so that did not come into our decision making process.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM

132 posts, read 191,742 times
I keep coming back to this thread hoping to find out what was meant by "Progressive" in the original post! I've been thinking it was not meant to be political at all, but am waiting to know the answer! Is there a way to be notified when somebody posts something new on a thread you've been to so I can save time looking back?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehopper View Post
I keep coming back to this thread hoping to find out what was meant by "Progressive" in the original post! I've been thinking it was not meant to be political at all, but am waiting to know the answer! Is there a way to be notified when somebody posts something new on a thread you've been to so I can save time looking back?

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...be-forums.html

This thread may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville