Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,252 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been reading lots of great comments about Knoxville neighborhoods. I am moving to Knoxville in summer 2009 with my wife, 2 girls (preschool and 2nd grade), and dog. We have lived in Seattle, WA all our lives, and love it, but are also excited to meet new friends and become "locals" as quickly as we can (not to mention root for a college football team that actually has a few wins this year).
I'm struggling to find the right neighborhoods to investigate. We will likely rent for a year before we buy, but want to at least try to rent where we think we will end up.
The threads I have seen make it sound like I need to choose between either mcmansionville with giant lots and drive to get anywhere, or in a more central district that has neat older homes and friendly neighbors but more crime and below average schools for a family with young kids.

Our priorities for a neighborhood are, in rough order:
---Lots of kids playing in the streets (moms & dads, too)
---Safe, family friendly (low crime)
---Excellent public and/or private schools
---Walk to neighbor's houses (not acreage lots)
---Walk to parks, grade schools, churches
---an older neighborhood with diverse architecture and big trees
---Views of mountains and/or water, some waterfront homes
---Within 15 minutes of downtown (traffic permitting)
Are there any neighborhoods in Knoxville that have most or all of the features listed above? I would love to hear your thoughts, including very specific streets or boundaries.

As a side note, I think we'd like to cap our home price at around $600k, which I think makes most Knoxville neighborhoods available to us. (No, we're not filthy rich, but real estate in Seattle has appreciated quite nicely in the 15 years we've owned a house here, so we should be able to sell our home here for at least that much even in a down market, and we'll need to put most of it into a new home or face capital gains taxes)

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Welcome to the Forum! I recommend Sequoyah Hills as far as a neighborhood goes for you. It meets most, if not all, of your requirements. Of course, there are plenty of other great neighborhoods around here too!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Welcome to the Forum! I recommend Sequoyah Hills as far as a neighborhood goes for you. It meets most, if not all, of your requirements. Of course, there are plenty of other great neighborhoods around here too!
I agree. It sounds like the OP is describing Sequoyah Hills.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I hate to say it but there is a fair amount of crime in SH, just because the burglars go where the money is. So invest in a security system. Otherwise it fits your requirements.

Another place to consider is the Island Home neighborhood if you like the Montessouri school nearby.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Holston Hills has some beautiful homes with views of the mountains AND river. There's a "Berean School" a couple of miles away to look into.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Yes Seattledawg, like jmt and smokyMtn girl have stated, sh is great, and in that price range, many other to choose from, and if you want taxes, from city and co, then fine, but if you want to drive an additional 10 to 15 minutes, then you save bunches in payments.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Something to keep in mind is that $600K is upper bracket in Knoxville. So you'd be among the upper bracket mentality. Is that good or bad for you? I'm guessing for "excellent" schools you'll be going private, perhaps more specifically Webb high school. You'll need to budget for that.

Matt Edens is a restoration columnists who often quips "all neighborhoods are zoned for Webb".

Another option is Maryville. Better public schools but farther from the lake and downtown Knoxville.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Sequoyah Hills, all the way. Good public schools and yes, they have a Montessori there, too.

It sits on the Tennessee River and it is just stunning.

I covet that area.

History : KPSHA

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Dawg, come in. Have you done any internet shopping?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM

197 posts, read 485,232 times
Sequoia Hills, sure, but I have to also vote Island Home. Island Home is a little more secluded and a little less known, but many of the houses are on the river, there are always people playing in the street, there are huge medians and the houses are just gorgeous. The houses are 1910s and 1920s restored Bungalows. Large ones. There is one particular one for sale right now that is fantastic and only $330000, which leaves you quite a bit left over to fund the private education. It is close to Ijams nature center and a true hidden treasure. I love Island Home and will live there someday.
The people seem a little more "real" than in Sequoia Hills to me, too. Here's the Website:
The Island Home Park Neighborhood Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville