Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM

24 posts, read 84,063 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a position in Lenoir City and if he accepts it, we would be arriving there without having been to the area. We want to rent a house w/ a yard for my small dog and cats to sit in. What part is lower crime, and are there other towns nearby that might be more suitable?

Schools are not an issue as my daughter is grown. We are both in our 40's and this is a second (third?) career move for him, he is also a musician.

Would love to hear what is good/bad about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 PM

188 posts, read 974,871 times
We lived in Loudon for a year and a half and liked it better than Lenior City. Lenior city is bigger but Loudon is alot nicer ( in my opinion). Loudon is located about 10 miles south of Lenior City. There is also Sweetwater which is about 20 miles south of Lenior City. Loudon sits in between. 10 miles one way to Walmart and 10 miles the other way to Kmart. Loudon has a few stores and resteraunts. Food City, Doller Store, Pizza Hut etc. Go online and check it out!!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 PM

188 posts, read 974,871 times
Forgot something....we rented a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house ( with garage) for 600 a month and the landlord allowed us to have a cat and a dog. Alot cheaper then renting in Lenior City,

Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,380 times
Depends alot on your lifestyle. If you want suburbia, go with west Knoxville. If you want a small town, go with Loudon. If you want a grown-up small town with lots of lake communities (somewhere, in between, I guess), then Lenoir City would fit.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
We lived in Loudon for a year and a half and liked it better than Lenior City. Lenior city is bigger but Loudon is alot nicer ( in my opinion). Loudon is located about 10 miles south of Lenior City. There is also Sweetwater which is about 20 miles south of Lenior City. Loudon sits in between. 10 miles one way to Walmart and 10 miles the other way to Kmart. Loudon has a few stores and resteraunts. Food City, Doller Store, Pizza Hut etc. Go online and check it out!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Forgot something....we rented a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house ( with garage) for 600 a month and the landlord allowed us to have a cat and a dog. Alot cheaper then renting in Lenior City,
OK this is driving me nuts. It's Lenoir City, not Lenior City.

But I do agree with you, I like Loudon better, too.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
From what I have heard/been told is that a lot of people in Le Noir City are not happy with the current government.

The city used to have a mayor who would dress up like a drag queen whenever he was drunk. He was mayor for like over 30 years, he was still voted in. I believe he was still mayor before he passed away. He was well-liked figure.

I grew up in the town of Loudon. It is a lovely town with a lot of activities going on. I used to live down by the city park (Riverview?) The residents are pretty friendly most of times. The city has the same mayor for the last 25+ years - he has done pretty well for a city of 5,000.

Now when it comes to crime rates, Loudon County 911 operators have received more calls from Le Noir City than Loudon and elsewhere in the county.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Lenoir, Lenoir, L-e-n-o-i-r people!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM

123 posts, read 357,566 times
I can feel your frustration over the proper spelling of Lenoir City...
How do you pronounce it? Is it like Renoir?

Camsgirl:
My DH is also a musician.
We are looking to move to TN hopefully within the next few years. We will be in the same boat as you are. I hope he can find a job too. We have family in Friendsville and are hoping to locate near there. We want to put a manufactured home on an acre or buy one that's already on one. I've seen pictures on this website of Maryville. It looks very quaint you might want to give there a look as well. I just did a "search this forum" and typed in Maryville, and it pulled up a bunch of threads about that area. Some of the posts had photos. Good luck to you

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM

51 posts, read 180,421 times
Default Lenoir City

Camsgirl,

We just moved into the Knoxville area, and selected Lenoir City to buy a home. There were many factors in our decision, but Kitties of Domination is accurate. We like a suburban lifestyle, with lots of parks, and outdoor activities. So we settled on the North East side of Lenoir city and are happy. We are 10 minutes to Farragut and Turkey Creek if we want a nice meal or shopping. If we want to avoid the crowds, we go to Lenoir City to shop. We are also right at I-75, and I-40, interchange, and have multiple access points within a few minutes of our home.

Additionally, Lenoir City is on the verge of a significant boom, with several new residential developments, and Town Creek, a new shopping center.

One downside, is that Lenoir City does have some blight downtown, but it is slowly beiing renovated, and the outer areas are very nice. Schools (I know they aren't important for you, but for others considering LC) are quite good at the elementary and middle school (Eaton was ranked #17 in the state, better than Farragut Primary), but the High School is not so good.

Loudon is quite nice, but it is much more rural than Lenoir City, and does not have the same amenities, nor access to freeways.

Good luck with your selection, and let us know if we can help!

Eric.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
I can feel your frustration over the proper spelling of Lenoir City...
How do you pronounce it? Is it like Renoir?

Camsgirl:
My DH is also a musician.
We are looking to move to TN hopefully within the next few years. We will be in the same boat as you are. I hope he can find a job too. We have family in Friendsville and are hoping to locate near there. We want to put a manufactured home on an acre or buy one that's already on one. I've seen pictures on this website of Maryville. It looks very quaint you might want to give there a look as well. I just did a "search this forum" and typed in Maryville, and it pulled up a bunch of threads about that area. Some of the posts had photos. Good luck to you
I'm not familiar with the word Renoir. Do not think French, as in Pinot Noir; the pronunciation is the same as the female name Lenore. I also have a friend in Friendsville who bought a lakefront parcel. They have a manufactured home presently, with long term plans to build. I always recommend Louisville and Friendsville for as a more economical lakefront option. The area has yet to blow up like the lake areas of west Knoxville and Loudon Co.; I am actually surprised that the area has not seen more growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville