Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked, JimJ, you have never lived in Knoxville? Correct me if I am wrong.

TedTAce: I'm going over the personal things you sent me, and you made a reference to dueling banjos regarding this area. That attitude might be holding you back.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Last time I checked, JimJ, you have never lived in Knoxville? Correct me if I am wrong.

TedTAce: I'm going over the personal things you sent me, and you made a reference to dueling banjos regarding this area. That attitude might be holding you back.
Nope, lived in CA,GA,NC,MT but love the south the best so far. When we lived in GA we spent as much time in TN as we did in GA (almost). Especially loved pigeon forge and gatlinberg at thanksgiving-christmas time for the lights. Forgot to mention Nashville was really cool, liked Opryland and the big fish tank in Chanttanooga was awsome!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Yeah, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Tourist areas. Apply for a job in Knoxville and
then begin to dispense career advice here. Otherwise, you might want to refrain.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 AM

23 posts, read 66,511 times
Well, ya'll are starting to worry me now. Can I ask if this applies across the board to all types of jobs or is it more service industry jobs that are harder to come by? He is an engineer. I read in place that in Knoxville, service jobs are harder since they are easier to train for (hence the propensity to hire people you know), but that in technical fields they simply look for the best candidate since it relies on skill sets and education already necessary for the job.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 AM

I'm not sure. The guy that sits next to me is a graphic artist with a degree. He makes $10 an hour. I know an engineer that has been out of work for a year, a history major that drives a delivery van and a recent communications graduate that does telephone sales.

All are born and raised in Tennessee.

It may be the market around here.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,145 times
My hubby and I had mixed results. I'm an accountant , and after a couple of months of sending out resumes, I actually was in the final selection process for two very good organizations. I ended up being made a great offer on the one I really wanted, and had to cancel a final interview with the other one so I could begin work for the one I accepted. I would have been happy working for either, but was blessed with getting the offer on the one I wanted the most.

My husband had a more difficult time getting interviews, I believe because we had just relocated. He works in blue-collar fields, and people were more hesitant to even give him an interview, being new to the area. He got in at a larger manufacturing company, in the shipping department, because they had just expanded, and he was hired along with others. He's been there 1-1/2 years now, and enjoys it. We are still hoping for a first shift position for him, though, so we can spend more waking time together.

He got his job not long after I got mine, and I believe alot to do with it was that I had such a good job myself, and he was able to tell people that his wife was employed at Xyz as an accountant.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM

It seemed that there were a lot of jobs in the paper before we moved to Knoxville. Once we moved, Katrina had already happened, and a lot of people from there moved to Knoxville. It seemed that jobs dried up after that.

I think anyone in the medical field would do well here. There are LOTS of hospitals. I met a nurse from Florida in the pre-op. She said got a job really quickly and was quite happy.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM

hiknapster,

We moved here after Katrina, from the Katrina-zone. I know what you mean. But, you know, I think there's even more people here from FL. I see FL tags everywhere. We figure it took them a year to get the houses fixed after their nightmare year the summer before Katrina. So many people from FL are transplants that they just got the heck out after being hit so many times.

The MS Gulf Coast, where I'm from, didn't have alot of people leave. They are locals, for the most part, and that's their home. We were planning our move before Katrina, she just gave us the shove we needed.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:31 AM

Please do not think that I am angry that Katrina victims came to Knoxville. No, no, no!

I'm from Florida, got hit by Charley, and really understand.

I just think there were only so many jobs.

Denso was hiring like crazy in August and September of '05, and lots of people from the hurricanes came right around that time.

I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility. I haven't seen a lot of jobs since that time.

I also think that all the UT grads in the area is a HUGE factor in jobs being filled quickly.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 AM

I'm sorry if I sounded like I thought that. You didn't sound mad to me.

I was just coming back to post that I thought more people from LA transplanted as well. And I agree with you, there was a larger selection of jobs to chose from before the summer of 2005, whether it was FL, LA or some MS transplants (we are in that category ) that got the jobs.

Most of my family is on the MS Gulf Coast, and it astounds me how people are chosing to rebuild right where they were before Katrina. Ken and I started looking at making the relocation several years before the hurricane seasons got bad, and I do have to admit that the 10 - 40 year cycle that was predicted helped us make the decision to move while we were still working rather than wait till retirement.

Edited to add: Ken interviewed and tested at Denso in 2005. There were ALOT of applicants for jobs then. He said that in his group a good 20% of them were from FL, most moving after that horrible season you were there for as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville