Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,933 times

Advertisements

Honestly, why hate graffiti instead of admiring it's beauty. Give me an honest answer, what you seriously think, and just forget about all of your negative thoughts of graffiti for a second to just look at this & tell me if you this this is beautiful or not:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,703,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist1994 View Post
Honestly, why hate graffiti instead of admiring it's beauty. Give me an honest answer, what you seriously think, and just forget about all of your negative thoughts of graffiti for a second to just look at this & tell me if you this this is beautiful or not:
That's not too bad, but I think most people are mostly concerned with the stupid "south side" gangbanger wannabee crap.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Quote:

First off, it's hideous. An absolute abomination to the eye. Secondly, if it is done on a wall owned by the city and thus the taxpayers, I don't care if it's the Mona Lisa! It's savage vandalism and it's wrong. There's nothing beautiful about defacing public property.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
First off, it's hideous. An absolute abomination to the eye. Secondly, if it is done on a wall owned by the city and thus the taxpayers, I don't care if it's the Mona Lisa! It's savage vandalism and it's wrong. There's nothing beautiful about defacing public property.
Thank you very much. Someone with a rational mind and common sense.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's the way I feel. I tend not to like gaudy so to me that picture is not beautiful. If it is private property and someone did that without permission, it's vandalism plain and simple.

If that's how someone wanted their building to look -- then it's to each his own.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
It's not my style -- is that a mural someone allowed to be painted? In that case it's just a matter of taste and style. I like more subdued natural colors on buildings myself. For example in the SW, I like the earth colors like clay and off-white, brown for most buildings.

I suppose people's idea of what is beautiful is also cultural.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Reminds me of that movie with Will Smith and Robert De Niro. Clearly it looks like some amount of thought and time went into painting it - there is a definite theme and the sea creatures are depicted quite nicely.
The colors are a bit intense, but, nothing that would look out of place in an exhibit of Expressionists or Futurists.

I have nothing against 'graffiti as art' - those cave paintings in France still get thousands of visitors every year. Their presence is testimony to the fact that public art has been part of the human experience pretty much throughout our history. As long as the receiving community is in agreement and the themes are well-chosen, I don't see anything wrong with these types of urban beautification.
Random graffiti, however, is like any other type of 'litter'. It diminishes one's surroundings and for me, it is right up there with noise pollution as a means of 'disturbing my peace.'

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Our neighborhood was hit big time last night. Probably the same people who have committed the burgularies.

I am really tiring of this situation. As someone from the East Coast (suburban NJ) I am not used to any of this. It's disgusting.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Our neighborhood was hit big time last night. Probably the same people who have committed the burglaries.

Interesting. Our neighborhood was 'egged' last night. Looks like my old neighborhood in NJ used to look after Halloween. I wonder if the two episodes are related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am really tiring of this situation. As someone from the East Coast (suburban NJ) I am not used to any of this. It's disgusting.

Unfortunately, I am quite used to it - rode the NYC subways every day for twenty-plus years.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting. Our neighborhood was 'egged' last night. Looks like my old neighborhood in NJ used to look after Halloween. I wonder if the two episodes are related.

Unfortunately, I am quite used to it - rode the NYC subways every day for twenty-plus years.
You were going from Bergen County to NYC, however. Big difference. You were entering into the biggest city in the US. However, I'd be highly surprised if you found graffiti in a town such as Allendale or Wyckoff. That's the principal difference between the northeast and the desert southwest: we are not immune from this disgusting activity here, even in the middle and upper middle class neighborhoods. It's everywhere you look here. You can't hide from it. However, in the northeast USA, once you leave the cities, you're not going to find it. You are almost crime-free, in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces