Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 AM

9,383 posts, read 20,851,479 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed an uptick in graffiti in the last few weeks? Driving down Roadrunner, for example, graffiti all over the MRI center next to Desert Hills Elementary School, on the culverts in the new section of Sonoma Ranch Boulevard, etc. These are perceived as nicer neighborhoods, but evidently (and sadly) still not immune from the savages.

I have a hard time digesting this, I really do. When I moved here almost 4 years ago, this type of behavior was not nearly as present, at least not east of I-25. Now the graffiti, and petty crime in general, seems to be encroaching into all areas of the town. I was not a big fan of Bill Mattiace, but this crappy counterculture behavior seems to have been only amplified since this new mayor took office about a year ago.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in graffiti in their neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,749,226 times
Yes, I noticed it on one of the culverts on Roadrunner.
What I found most interesting is that this is not 'tag and run' stuff - it is detailed and must have taken a good amount of time, so, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the offenders are residents of these 'nicer' neighborhoods. Roving bands of 'visitors' would draw way too much attention in some of these areas.

I hate to say it, but, it is just another side effect of rapid growth. This town has been focused on attracting retirees for so long, I think the increase in the younger population sort of flew under the radar. Managing a city of adolescents requires a much more pro-active mindset than does managing a city of retirees and college students.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, I noticed it on one of the culverts on Roadrunner.
What I found most interesting is that this is not 'tag and run' stuff - it is detailed and must have taken a good amount of time, so, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the offenders are residents of these 'nicer' neighborhoods. Roving bands of 'visitors' would draw way too much attention in some of these areas.

I hate to say it, but, it is just another side effect of rapid growth. This town has been focused on attracting retirees for so long, I think the increase in the younger population sort of flew under the radar. Managing a city of adolescents requires a much more pro-active mindset than does managing a city of retirees and college students.
Yes, I noticed the same thing, and I completely agree with you.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 PM

702 posts, read 2,298,389 times
I haven't noticed any here in the midtown ghettos. I guess the "artists" target newer development for whatever reason.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Update:

The graffiti that I noticed on Roadrunner Pkwy at the MRI center has since been removed.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,618,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I haven't noticed any here in the midtown ghettos. I guess the "artists" target newer development for whatever reason.
Nope, they have been around for as long as I can remember. Usually the city is good about getting it down ASAP. In Las Cruces it has less to do with "Ghettos" and more to do with copy cats and wanna be's...Maybe they visits family in California and Phoenix and come back thinking it is ok...Who knows?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:55 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,706,581 times
Sounds like the local teenagers are getting especially bored.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has anyone noticed an uptick in graffiti in the last few weeks? Driving down Roadrunner, for example, graffiti all over the MRI center next to Desert Hills Elementary School, on the culverts in the new section of Sonoma Ranch Boulevard, etc. These are perceived as nicer neighborhoods, but evidently (and sadly) still not immune from the savages.

I have a hard time digesting this, I really do. When I moved here almost 4 years ago, this type of behavior was not nearly as present, at least not east of I-25. Now the graffiti, and petty crime in general, seems to be encroaching into all areas of the town. I was not a big fan of Bill Mattiace, but this crappy counterculture behavior seems to have been only amplified since this new mayor took office about a year ago.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in graffiti in their neighborhood?
Have you visited El Paso lately? It's all over everywhere and people seem to be giving up on removing it. It's part of living in the SW I think, you have to accept it or move away. It'll get worse. In El Paso, people would go out in the morning and find graffitti all over the side of their home, they'd paint over and within a week it would be back. After a while that gets expensive so more and more people just leave it there.

It's not just youth either. When they did bother to try to arrest the "taggers" as often as not they'd be men or women well into their 20's and 30's. Sometimes mothers buy the spray paint cans and drive their kids to the place they want to spray and the mothers have been caught spraying graffitti themselves.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Have you visited El Paso lately? It's all over everywhere and people seem to be giving up on removing it. It's part of living in the SW I think, you have to accept it or move away. It'll get worse. In El Paso, people would go out in the morning and find graffitti all over the side of their home, they'd paint over and within a week it would be back. After a while that gets expensive so more and more people just leave it there.

It's not just youth either. When they did bother to try to arrest the "taggers" as often as not they'd be men or women well into their 20's and 30's. Sometimes mothers buy the spray paint cans and drive their kids to the place they want to spray and the mothers have been caught spraying graffitti themselves.
I wonder why graffiti is so permissive here, even in suburban areas, where as in contrast, if you go to suburban areas in the midwest, the northeast, etc, the evidence of savage behavior is mostly absent.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder why graffiti is so permissive here, even in suburban areas, where as in contrast, if you go to suburban areas in the midwest, the northeast, etc, the evidence of savage behavior is mostly absent.
Different cultural attitudes I think. Last summer I traveled to a national park in the Midwest but what is striking is the lack of litter. I actually saw people become very annoyed over a gatorade bottle or piece of paper, and walk out of their way to pick them up and discard them in trash bins. It was as though the carelessness and ugliness of litter offended them. Maybe that attitude rubs off even on to those who would litter. They see others go over and pick up trash and maybe think twice about tossing something onto the ground.

I drive by vacant lots here and all kinds of trash can be found. People here will toss an old matress into a field, beer cans can be found all along the sides of roads. In store parking lots, you find diapers, cans, bottles tossed out like it's just too much effort to dispose of anything properly. Graffitti seems to go hand in hand with that attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces