Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,316 times

Advertisements

As you probably know, Chaparral began as a barren spot in the desert that was attractive to those who bought lots there because it was (pardon the pun) dirt cheap. And because there were no county zoning laws, which is true of much of New Mexico, including Lincoln County, where I live. Having no police force of its own, it's also reputed to be rather lawless since the county sheriff and state police provide the enforcement.

Because of it's close proximity to the NM-TX state line, and because it's still unincorporated, I guess the boundary for what is called Chaparral is open to interpretation.

When I was a kid I hunted in the area where Chaparral now stands and there were ruins there that belonged to an even earlier community - the name of which I have no clue. I recall the old school house walls (adobe, of course) still standing and blackboards still in place - but the building was roofless. There were several other buildings scattered around. Would be interesting to know the history of that former community - I've never seen a reference to it. There was a distinctive dry lake bed there, and it still filled with water in the rainy season "back then." The location was just a few hundred yards north of the old El Paso Nat. Gas pumping station (about where the power plant now sits).

Newman is a distinct place that has been in existence for at least a century, compared to Chaparral's beginnings sometime after WWII. Newman was a small grouping of buildings - service station and cafe - on what was once US-54 as it crossed the state line. It's still got a few active businesses, the largest of which is the popular "Edge of Texas" restaurant. The Jim Bowen family has long owned a large ranch tract that straddles the state line and are owners of the restaurant. Newman, Texas had a post office from 1922 to 1971.

BOWEN RANCH STORY

Their ranch headquarters still sits just south of the state line (in Texas) just to the west of Newman. It's identified by the large windmill which can be seen for some distance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
If your looking to put your kids on dope or make crimanals out of them chaparral the place for you.I GREW UP THERE MOST OF MY FREINDS ARE DEAD OR IN PRISON Im 40 and some change I know I left 10 years ago some things just dont change chapparal is the school of devri for criminal intent move in on camper leave out on a bus.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,518 times
Honestly I've lived in Chaparral my whole life and I really like it..... The Tae kwan do Academy is the best!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 PM

83 posts, read 180,349 times
I have a 19 year olg attending college, she's looking into joining NMU. I also have a 15 year old, almost 16 who's gotten into some trouble with friends around our neighborhood. I have a great job but I am sick and tired of Las Vegas, I hate this city!! I want to move back to El Paso but I am afraid of the border and my son taking that route. I am deciding between Anthony or Las Cruces and someone today mentioned Chaparral. I read the comment above and if it has a big amount of drug users, I want nothing to do with it.

Suggestions please? I am also looking for a place that will have activities for my son, he's into boxing.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig39 View Post
I have a 19 year olg attending college, she's looking into joining NMU. I also have a 15 year old, almost 16 who's gotten into some trouble with friends around our neighborhood. I have a great job but I am sick and tired of Las Vegas, I hate this city!! I want to move back to El Paso but I am afraid of the border and my son taking that route. I am deciding between Anthony or Las Cruces and someone today mentioned Chaparral. I read the comment above and if it has a big amount of drug users, I want nothing to do with it.

Suggestions please? I am also looking for a place that will have activities for my son, he's into boxing.
The further the better from the actual border. The drug gangs would find your son perfect bait - he's already in contact with all the worst possible people if he's buying drugs and they're always recruiting.

If they find some easily impressed naive and pot smoking kid, they're going to try to get him in the business, he could easily be used to run drugs over the border -- US citizenship and all that. It happens all the time.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
And don't forget that Chaparral is loaded with jimson weed which can be deadly especially in the summer. It's very popular with kids your son's age here. If he's hanging with the drug crowd, he'll get exposed to it and it can be deadly.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 AM

83 posts, read 180,349 times
Chaparral is out of the Q.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 PM

32 posts, read 149,761 times
Ugh, Chaparral is a horror. It's full of loose dogs, run-down trailers, trashed-out yards. And the reason no one wants to get involved is that Chaparral is where people go to get away from people who are looking for them . . .

Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Chaparral actually is in two counties. Dona Ana and Otero. County line is the divider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces