Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

and?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
They always move there and then want to change the existing system to "how it is back home."

Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
It depends...how are your 'dancing' skills?
Prime example of what a waste of time this site has become. A bunch of low life losers with nothing better to do than make asses of themselves.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Prime example of what a waste of time this site has become. A bunch of low life losers with nothing better to do than make asses of themselves.
Say what you will...but this is one segment of the LV job market that seems unaffected by the negative economy. And I take pride in making an ass of myself.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
A prime example of why i left Gnu Jusey.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
A prime example of why i left Gnu Jusey.
You in NJ had to be a real fish out of water experience, I'm guessing.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 AM

no chit cherlock I hated bein down da shoah

ONE Mesican restaurant in Lantic City and dey made salsa wit tomato sauce.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
It's pretty sad for the folks that have been without jobs for a long time.

Layoffs become rarer even with unemployment high (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ECONOMY_JOBS?SITE=NVLAS&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLA TE=DEFAULT - broken link)

Like any where being unemployed can have it's obstacles but in Vegas it's worse for older workers 50 and older to find work, due to the type of business's that most employees work in the service industry. And the service industry want younger workers.The Economy

‘I couldn’t believe that someone with my experience couldn’t even get a job as a busboy.’

By Liz Benston
Bud Meyers, who spent most of his adult life working behind a bar, has become the unwitting face of the older jobless in America.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM

62 posts, read 194,024 times
Yes, there ARE jobs.....About 8 months ago (in the midst of this entire mess), I decided to take the risk of quitting my job (where I had been employed for a steady 3 years) and moving away from Las Vegas. Things did not go as planned and eventually I was too embarrased to return to my former employer. A recruiter (payed for by the employer) contacted me regarding a position, which I was offered 1-2 weeks later. Though it was a good position with great benefits (Purchasing for a Japanese subsidiary of Sumitomo), there was too much micromanagement for an independent buyer such as myself. I immediately sought employment elsewhere, was contacted for another purchasing/logistics position, put in my 2 weeks notice, and began my new job.

So, basically, I am trying to say that I was offered (2) positions in less than a couple months. Now, of course, it may depend on the career, your experience, interview, etc., but I honestly feel that many "think" there are no jobs because of all the competition. I interview for positions myself, and to be completely honest, I may not even be able to look at all the resumes I get in my allotted timeframe. However, anyone with good communication skills and solid employment should not have a problem, as I interview so many people who are simply seeking a paycheck or to be fired and obtain unemployment again.

Many in this forum will probably criticize this post and offer only discouragement, but if the aforementioned characteristics apply to yourself, I can guarantee the most difficult part will be getting the interview . My suggestion is too look at the finance positions in Las Vegas...if there are any, go for it! With a degree, you should beat out any competition. Not too mention, with family here, you should be in a good, secure position to give yourself more than enough time to find a decent paying job.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,992 times
Default Sour on Las Vegas

Hi, I have to say that yes it is true The jobs have vanished in Las Vegas. I worked for 9 years for a hotel here and I enjoyed it but then I moved to Denver. When I came back to Las Vegas I looked for a while then gave up. I started looking again about 2 months ago. The salaries are much lower, the companies are looking for every conceivable way to cut corners. Vegas is not the city it use to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas