Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I joined the Navy at 18 and after four years spent the entire past 9 years working in Iraq and Afghanistan as a contractor….made a lot of money but spent a lot of money

About three months ago I lost my hand Kandahar due to an IED.

About two months ago I got a check for a million bucks.

I am not sure it’s a fair trade, but what’s done is done and I need to accept my situation and not mop around anymore. My prosthetic looks pretty good and most people don’t know I don’t have a hand unless I tell them. Although I think they thought I was a brotha because the latest one I got is black and I am white. LOL. Gotta get this fixed.

I worked in the IT field in the sandbox but am now ready to come home. My vocational counselor found me a job doing (contract) background investigations for OPM. The two places I can work are Vegas covering some of the rural areas in the south and around the Boulder area of Colorado. The pay is not great ~$25 an hour plus mileage but it sounds like fun snooping/sleuthing around. In addition to the private insurance money I get a permanent salary differential (that is capped) between what I made in my old job in AFG and what I will make in my new job Stateside.

I have a few questions:

1. I know that Lake Las Vegas has some problems but I think I will live in that area if I go to Vegas. Is it possible to get a 3bedroom 2 bath home with a pool for about 350k in that area?

2. How hard is it to get the top notch really good looking model types in Vegas?A buddy of mine says that you have to pay them. As in pay their bills and stuff. Is this true? Do women in Vegas actually expect men to pay them for a date…or rather multiple dates? I don’t mind taking a gal out and spending money on her but I don’t think I could stomach paying someone else’s bills. I am good looking and spend two hours a day in the gym but am not very sociable in the least bit; and working around men 24/7 for 13 years did not exactly imbue me with social skills. I also don’t have a hand now too.

3. Is Vegas a good place for scholarly type folk? I spent some time in Boulder and really liked the atmosphere there—it’s just so damn expensive. I like hitting the clubs but I like to read books and be around wonkish type of people. I don’t like scammers and liars.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi,

I joined the Navy at 18 and after four years spent the entire past 9 years working in Iraq and Afghanistan as a contractor….made a lot of money but spent a lot of money

About three months ago I lost my hand Kandahar due to an IED.

About two months ago I got a check for a million bucks.

I am not sure it’s a fair trade, but what’s done is done and I need to accept my situation and not mop around anymore. My prosthetic looks pretty good and most people don’t know I don’t have a hand unless I tell them. Although I think they thought I was a brotha because the latest one I got is black and I am white. LOL. Gotta get this fixed.

I worked in the IT field in the sandbox but am now ready to come home. My vocational counselor found me a job doing (contract) background investigations for OPM. The two places I can work are Vegas covering some of the rural areas in the south and around the Boulder area of Colorado. The pay is not great ~$25 an hour plus mileage but it sounds like fun snooping/sleuthing around. In addition to the private insurance money I get a permanent salary differential (that is capped) between what I made in my old job in AFG and what I will make in my new job Stateside.

I have a few questions:

1. I know that Lake Las Vegas has some problems but I think I will live in that area if I go to Vegas. Is it possible to get a 3bedroom 2 bath home with a pool for about 350k in that area?

2. How hard is it to get the top notch really good looking model types in Vegas?A buddy of mine says that you have to pay them. As in pay their bills and stuff. Is this true? Do women in Vegas actually expect men to pay them for a date…or rather multiple dates? I don’t mind taking a gal out and spending money on her but I don’t think I could stomach paying someone else’s bills. I am good looking and spend two hours a day in the gym but am not very sociable in the least bit; and working around men 24/7 for 13 years did not exactly imbue me with social skills. I also don’t have a hand now too.

3. Is Vegas a good place for scholarly type folk? I spent some time in Boulder and really liked the atmosphere there—it’s just so damn expensive. I like hitting the clubs but I like to read books and be around wonkish type of people. I don’t like scammers and liars.

Thanks for your help in advance.
1. Yes

2. Get girls by the hour until your self-confidence returns.

3. The bookstores in Vegas are busy.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM

78 posts, read 118,730 times
1. Please don't tell any of the women about the money.
I also agree that the whole self-confidence thing- please work on that.
Why in hell are you looking for a top notch model chick that is only going to be with you-so she can used you. You should try to find someone that is sincere and genuine, and that wants to be with you for you and not what you can offer or do for them.
Beside you stated you are a scholar so shouldn't you be looking for some with brains and substance

Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM

270 posts, read 535,061 times
Good grief....and good luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Hi. Thanks.

I am not interested in prostitutes (in the pure sense of the word.) I just want to know if the really hot girls expect you to give them money as opposed to spending money on them. Some people may not make this distinction but I do. I didn't mind spending $250 on Sushi at Bar Masa when I was on R&R for a date but refused to "help" her with her bills. Again, maybe this is convoluted to some but it's my morals.

What I am asking is aside from having a nice ride and digs, do you literally have to pay girls' bills for them to date you more than a few times? I think they call this sponsorship in E. Europe.

I am by no means a scholar, I just have a scholarly demeanor but just because I act somewhat goofy and nerdy does not mean I don't want a Maxim woman.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
AWWWW GEEEEEZ....FRISBEE iz zat you????????

Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 PM

126 posts, read 118,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi. Thanks.

I am not interested in prostitutes (in the pure sense of the word.) I just want to know if the really hot girls expect you to give them money as opposed to spending money on them. Some people may not make this distinction but I do. I didn't mind spending $250 on Sushi at Bar Masa when I was on R&R for a date but refused to "help" her with her bills. Again, maybe this is convoluted to some but it's my morals.

What I am asking is aside from having a nice ride and digs, do you literally have to pay girls' bills for them to date you more than a few times? I think they call this sponsorship in E. Europe.

I am by no means a scholar, I just have a scholarly demeanor but just because I act somewhat goofy and nerdy does not mean I don't want a Maxim woman.
Knock it off. You come across a little dumb. You lost your hand not your penis.

By middle american standards you are young and well off. Enjoy yourself. Be nice and the bootisious babes will descend upon you. Pick a nice one and make a deal of it.

Just play it cool. They will find you.

Boulder by the way is a very nice place. If you wish to take your Phd in computer science I recommend it...or a masters degree in skiing. Otherwise try Vegas

Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
I don't believe a word of this.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Sheesh....I didn't lose my entire hand but I did lose a finger and half my thumb and the remaining fingers all had to be re-attached and none of them bend anymore (no joints). This was my dominant (right) hand and is now pretty much useless. I've also had to learn how to do everything with my left hand, like writing. Although mine didn't happen while serving my country, it did happen on the job and I didn't get anywhere near a million bucks.

I'm a little skeptical about this, too.
Quote:
Although I think they thought I was a brotha because the latest one I got is black and I am white.
I've never heard of any of our military getting that kind of money for the loss of a limb (sometimes more than one). I'm also thinking that someone who lost his hand only three months ago would not already have a prosthetic. There is tons and tons of treatment and wound care with that kind of an injury and I don't see how a person who lost his hand three months ago would be ready for an artificial hand.

But, hey, if it's true....well, the best of luck to you.

Last edited by Cinebar; 10-23-2011 at 11:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM

Sigh....I am not in the military. I was/am a contractor. Contractors, especially IT guys, with a TS security clearance routinely make 200k-300k+ a year largely tax free in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You are correct if I was still in uniform I would not have had a private Life/Dismemberment/Disability policy. I did, and it paid me based upon my salary. I should have taken out more or had multiple policies.

The other thing, called the Defense Base Act, which covers contractors is a DOL program which provides disability to contractors working overseas on behalf of the USG. This is separate from the private policy with Lloyds that I had. As I can't make what i did in my previous job, they are required to pay me the difference capped at 1250 a week for life. If I earn what I previously did the amount is reduced or eliminated.

Some Americans don't know the difference between a contractor and a service member--at times they perform the same functions but former are private citizens. For instance, some of my buddies were Marines where they made 800 a month guarding the Embassy. They then worked for Blackwater, now XE, where they made $1000 a day essentially doing the same job.

I don't mean to be an ass, but when you loose your hand and have people call bs when they are speaking of things of which they nothing about is off-putting.

Re prosthetics, the covering (skin), which prevents one from looking like roboman is 'removable" and the factory sent me "skin" that darker than mine. Why is this so hard to believe? or maybe the hospital ordered the wrong one. Who knows? The new prosthesis are very life like and one can actually type, hold a baby, and even an egg--although it takes some...skill...not to exert too much pressure when holding delicate objects.

Re girls...apparently you guys have never heard of the term Sugar Daddy. All I wanted to know is if the hot girls in Vegas expect this type of treatment. In Boulder they don't. In LA, NYC, MIAMI, they answer may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas